Perth - Start of New Boom 2011 ?

well sort of, you can get all of them here in PErth too.

Souvlaki is when the meat is cooked on a skewer. Still served rolled in pita bread with sauce and salad. Soulva in Greek is a "spit" (as in sit roast), a souvlaki is a "little spit roast", which is why cooked on coals is always "better"

Yiros, roughly means "thing that goes round", this is where the big layers of meats are on a vertical spike which revolves around vertical heat. Again wrapped in bread with salad and sauce etc.

Kebab I belive is the same as souvlaki in Greek, but the arabic or turkish name.
Doner (or doner-kebab) I beleive is the same as yiros in Greek but the arabic or turkish name.

If that's what tom's after the I'm sure there's few south of the river, try sth perth and vic park

Kali oreksi

The south west of WA is a bloodbath at the moment. Back in 2006 i qued all night to buy a block in a nice new estate in Busselton. Since then the selling price of comparable lots has fallen 20%. In hindsight; there was a gross shortage of land in the southwest. Government pressure on developers lead to the market being flooded with land in late 2006. Even today there is way more supply than demand.

Kebabs = clog those arteries up!

So..... where are the hot spots to do my dd as a newbie from the East?
Looking for a PPR with a bit of land content....bracing myself for the onslaught! :eek:
Thanx

Looking for a PPR with a bit of land content....bracing myself for the onslaught! :eek:
Thanx

Are there any requirements for a PPR that you have? Distance to shops, CBD, transport etc also need your price range.

I will lead this with a disclaimer that I haven’t followed the market in this area as closely since buying into it 6 months ago so things may have changed but in the under 500k range I like the following:

Joondalup did have some older housing stock for around $400-500k when I was looking earlier this year. They appear to be a good bet if they are still around decent land content in what is widely forecast to be a good growth area.

I also like Thornlie though I feel it is a long term prospect - eventually the older housing stock will start getting re-done and subdivision will kick off but may take awhile - in the meantime you have a decent yield and property that’s not to far out from the CBD and other features for a lowish price.

But yeah more information required :)

Thanx

That depends where you want to live... Near city? Work? River? Beach? Suburban or regional hub?

Thanx for taking the time so promptly! :) The rumours about you WA'ers are true then!
We are a couple of MT nesters that did our IP buying / developing in 2002 on the GC / Bris / Vic...gotta love CG!;)
So we are 2 weeks new here after a hasty retreat...packed & moved, 2 weeks notice..:eek:...lucky I'm already bald!
So between juggling balls, the small amount of dd has opened my eyes a tad. In answer to your q's, we always look for property with an X factor, ie land content with ability to develop / subdivide @ a later date....there's only 2 of us + dog..easy. Not adverse to buying a 4br in suburbia under median & just sit / renovate....even looked @ building (again)...not keen...wifey works in Myaree but we just don't want to live in high density villas & hate the back residences that seem to be prominant.
As usual, many thanx for any input.

Jinxy,
Excuse my curtness - but what is your price range?

This will help people steer / recommend locations that are within your budget.
Regards
Nick

Curtness excused...around the 700k'ish, with a BAM caveat: Buy well, Add value, Manage effectively.
About to purchase the R'dex report to speed up my knowledge base...that's why I'm loving your help too! :)

Curtness excused...around the 700k'ish, with a BAM caveat: Buy well, Add value, Manage effectively.
About to purchase the R'dex report to speed up my knowledge base...that's why I'm loving your help too! :)

At that price you can get duplex sized blocks in Bedford, at around 850 you can move to some of the nicest streets in inglewood (6th, 7th, 8th Ave). It will get you a duplex block with an unrenovated californian bungalow in a highly sought after area. The trouble with most of them though, the house is smack bang in the middle so subdividing while retaining the house can be tricky.

You can get land content for that price in places like East Vic Park, St James which is one suburb east, you can get duplex blocks with unreno'd houses for about 550k.

wifey works in Myaree.

Myaree is south of the river. If you live north of the river, and your wife works 9-5, her route to and from work will be very busy as the freeway stands still around the city during rush hour.

You could look around the south of Fremantle - I've heard that there are subdividable blocks in the area (not 100% on this). There's also the marina development happening at Coogee - this should benefit suburbs such as Spearwood, Hamilton Hill and surrounds.

Marina info:
http://portcoogee.com.au/?id=101

http://www.cockburn.wa.gov.au/Council_Services/City_Development/Projects/Port_Coogee/

Last edited:
Joondalup city council is planning rezoning of areas within the city, rezoning alot of the current R20 to R30 and R40, With the future development of a Marina at Ocean Reef, should make purchases in the proposed areas absolutely money.

Here is the map from the website of the proposed rezone area. I know when I was hunting for houses in the area, I was able to get conformation about specific houses on their location in comparison to the rezone area.

http://www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/Develop/DraftLocalHousingStrategy.aspx

Check out DIRECTIONS 2031

By 2031 future population forecasts predict that the Perth and Peel region will house a population of more than 2.2 million people. This is an addition 556,000 people on today’s population. To accommodate this level of growth a further 328,000 dwellings and approximately 356,000 jobs will be needed

Perth - Potential for growth in next 3 years

Extract taken from Australian Property Investor October issue

Timing the market - Is now the time to buy or... not? page 44

Yardney argues that Perth still hasn't entered the upturn stage of its cycle.

Zigomanis notes, "Perth went into a downturn ahead of the GFC because prices had gone too far."

Zigomanis therefore believes Perth has potential for stronger growth than some other cities in the next three years, since its starting from a lower base. BIS Shrapnel forecasts Perth home prices to rise by around seven per cent per annum over the three years to June 2013.

7% pa for 3 years seems pretty optimistic to me. There's zero confidence in the market at the moment and with rising interest rates, that's not changing in a hurry, all other things being equal of course. Without some other 'stimulus' like wages growth or unemployment figures, I'm reckonin' a flat line in perth for a few years.

yeh I am thinking flat line for another year, then when this mother of all resources booms dwarfs us (whih will happen regardless) and if the US economy roars back to life in 2012 then strap yourself in... years of pent up and suboptimal activity will be reversed

As a footnote ... we have learned so much from this fantastic forum which educated and encouraged us to take the plunge! Thank you contributors :)

Back