Perth ugly ducklings??

Thanks Aaron. 2 areas to eliminate :)

Terry Ryder picked Kwinana and Armadale as 2 of his 10 high yield locations in Money mag, Sept 14 issue. Mandurah and Swan were in the growth list.

Thanks Aaron. 2 areas to eliminate :)

Terry Ryder picked Kwinana and Armadale as 2 of his 10 high yield locations in Money mag, Sept 14 issue. Mandurah and Swan were in the growth list.

Kwinana is a big shire - he wasn't walking about the actual suburb. I would have to say every council in Perth should be on the growth watch list - practically every council will have a suburb in it which is or will be due for growth.

Kwinana is a big shire - he wasn't walking about the actual suburb. I would have to say every council in Perth should be on the growth watch list - practically every council will have a suburb in it which is or will be due for growth.

WM, I think the article is really a lame duck, throw a dart and eventually you will get growth somewhere, some time.

Here's my tip for what its worth

At the moment I would look at areas which are close to Fiona Stanley Hospital this is opening in October, demand is stronger than supply.... growth.

There are many areas with various price points, focus on those closer to rail and those earmarked for zoning, or already in place. Look at the areas which have lower medians next to much higher medians. Even if you don't go deve site, try to secure a property where you can add value, reno etc.

MTR:)

At the moment I would look at areas which are close to Fiona Stanley Hospital this is opening in October, demand is stronger than supply.... growth.

There are many areas with various price points, focus on those closer to rail and those earmarked for zoning, or already in place. Look at the areas which have lower medians next to much higher medians. Even if you don't go deve site, try to secure a property where you can add value, reno etc.

Agreed - I have recommended this for awhile even during construction phase as there was potential for construction workers to want to live/rent around there.

Fiona Stanley + Murdoch Uni + 3 close by private schools (Bullcreek, Murdoch and Bateman) + train line.

Much of Leeming/Bateman/Murdoch etc is R20 and I think when the granny flats came into play I mentioned this is where I'd put one.

Thanks MTR :)

My PPOR is in Willetton. The prices in my area alone had gone up quite a fair bit. With median of $700k, we have missed the boat with our own suburb. Based on that, I've just thought that the other suburbs going towards west would be similar. Out of our reach.

But I will include the areas around Fiona Stanley in my scouting phase.

Love that this huge, ultra modern hospital is just a short drive away. No more drives along the freeway to PMH when the kids need emergency treatment, or the half hour drive to Freo Hospital for us adults :p

Agreed - I have recommended this for awhile even during construction phase as there was potential for construction workers to want to live/rent around there.

Fiona Stanley + Murdoch Uni + 3 close by private schools (Bullcreek, Murdoch and Bateman) + train line.

Much of Leeming/Bateman/Murdoch etc is R20 and I think when the granny flats came into play I mentioned this is where I'd put one.

Thanks Westminster :) Have yet to find out all these R codes. I can just read with awe and envy when you guys discuss your developments. Sound so cool :cool:

Will look out for R20 :)

I would also include Kardinya R20, has sewerage so it converts to R25, as long as you have adequate size access and house in the right position there is potentially great opportunity to make some quick $.

Thanks MTR :)

Love that this huge, ultra modern hospital is just a short drive away. No more drives along the freeway to PMH when the kids need emergency treatment, or the half hour drive to Freo Hospital for us adults :p

Its a winner.
If you can afford Willagee this is a goer, rezoning next year, sandwiched between areas with perhaps $150-200K higher medians.
Thanks WM, she gave me the heads up, I would say my property has gone up by about $40,000-50,000 only settled 2 months ago, its hot hot hot, yes its hot.

Went to sticky beak at this home open. Owner selling without REA.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-willagee-117999807

Has potential but too pricey for us :p

Be VERY careful about blocks like that. The owner doesn't point out that it's a dual zoning block in the new zoning plan. It's R20 (aka single dwelling pretty much) or R60 (then it becomes triplex). The only way you can get the R60 is to allow a 4m wide easement along one full side of your property so the property on the Leach Hwy side can enter and exit using a driveway/easement.

My property will be rezoned R40/60, from my research/understanding when zoning is ratified it will go to R40, however if I want the R60 I need something like 1300 sqm of land?

These 3 blocks, side by side recently sold for $710K each, only 711 sqm of land each block, purchased by developer, that gives him R60 zoning. However I am pretty sure zoning is R40/60.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-willagee-117549847

I not come across R60 zoning in Willagee, in the main R40/60 and R25, so are all the properties backing Leach Hwy R60 not dual??

Also, it is hard to find nice level blocks, I would be very careful, if you purchase a block with huge site costs make sure you do the numbers.

If this is too high entry level I would look at Coobellup, however I think there is far more upside with Willagee because the end values will achieve much higher prices and I am told the area is quickly changing from old State Housing area to trendy.

Last edited:
Something nice and simple/R25 Kardinya

Another option as long as you secure the house for the right price is anything in Kardinya that is zoned R20/25 over 735 sqm block, with side access, cut up the rear block and sell.

This one recently sold, small lot only 304 sqm, also had an easement and a horrible house at the front. This one went under offer in 4 weeks, because the block was not that great and ugly front house did not help. Good outcome for the seller at $400K
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-wa-kardinya-200961063

They come up every so often, the front houses if renovated should sell low $600s. Of course there are other options like building, just a matter of doing the numbers.

You want to be quick with these little gems they sell within hours.

Last edited:
Just want to add some info that i learned when i bought recently.

If you see it advertised as r40/r60, assume you can do tripex only UNLESS you can afford to buy 3-4 more adjacent property. Council has said its actually 3000sqm to get the r60 coding.

For the r20/60 side, westminster is correct where you need to allow a 4m easement along the property. Factor that in, its not so bad if you can buy at right price.

*always consult with council, info above is meant as a guide so you can ask right questions. confirm with council before buying.*

I agree with mtr's observation completely. Even hammy hill and spearwood has gone bonkers because of rezoning and central location.

I WAS a fan of coolbellup but recently prices has gone up significantly. But those areas have a lot going for them. Near freo, garden city, murdoch, fiona stanly etc.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Depending on land component with R40 you can also build x number of apartments, another bonus.

think the location, in particular Willagee is brilliant though it started rising 2 years ago, but I believe still lots of steam, because as I mentioned surrounding areas like Melville, Palmyra and way more expensive. Willagee has surpassed Spearwood, Hammy Hill purely because of the central location, distance to Freo etc.

Just want to add some info that i learned when i bought recently.

If you see it advertised as r40/r60, assume you can do tripex only UNLESS you can afford to buy 3-4 more adjacent property. Council has said its actually 3000sqm to get the r60 coding.

For the r20/60 side, westminster is correct where you need to allow a 4m easement along the property. Factor that in, its not so bad if you can buy at right price.

*always consult with council, info above is meant as a guide so you can ask right questions. confirm with council before buying.*

I agree with mtr's observation completely. Even hammy hill and spearwood has gone bonkers because of rezoning and central location.

I WAS a fan of coolbellup but recently prices has gone up significantly. But those areas have a lot going for them. Near freo, garden city, murdoch, fiona stanly etc.
Congrats Eks :cool: Where did you buy?

Another option as long as you secure the house for the right price is anything in Kardinya that is zoned R20/25 over 735 sqm block, with side access, cut up the rear block and sell.

This one recently sold, small lot only 304 sqm, also had an easement and a horrible house at the front. This one went under offer in 4 weeks, because the block was not that great and ugly front house did not help. Good outcome for the seller at $400K
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-wa-kardinya-200961063

They come up every so often, the front houses if renovated should sell low $600s. Of course there are other options like building, just a matter of doing the numbers.

You want to be quick with these little gems they sell within hours.

Thanks MTR. Will take a look-see at Kardinya.

The front property sold in Aug. I wonder if the owner demolished the original house before selling. Is it profitable to do it that way?

9A Atwell Ct $340,000 - Normal Sale 04/08/13

Thanks MTR. Will take a look-see at Kardinya.

The front property sold in Aug. I wonder if the owner demolished the original house before selling. Is it profitable to do it that way?

9A Atwell Ct $340,000 - Normal Sale 04/08/13

Am told house on this lot and rented out, I have not personally viewed this, does not make any sense whatsoever.

I think median for Kardinya is around $700K, do a little research on what houses sell on smaller lots, in the main they will be older homes of course.

New product recently sold for I think $720K, this was a rear new build 4x2 and $880K on 350 sqm in Kingston Street, Kardinya about 5 months ago 3x2, good location.

It will be dependent on location, size of land component.
$340K perhaps a house in Calista not Kardinya, surely must be an error??

Back