pest and termite inspection

What is the rule for termite and pest inspection for an investment property? Does the landlord bear the cost or the tennants?

For termites i understand if its the landlord but for pest, is this a grey area? If the tennants leave food around and attract pests, then why should it be a cost for landlords?

And what is a reasonable cost for termite inspection?

Owner pays for termite inspection as it looks after their property. Pest sprays for a tenant been in a property for a while would be the tenant's responsibility as the owner is not responsible for mother nature. BUT if you have rats or possums then the owner should attend to then as they can do damage to a property

Thanks. Is there any point of having a termite inspection. the termites may not be there on the day but can come a week later couldn't it?

Should I opt for termite control instead? Its a lot more expensive

A good termite / pest inspector would generally give you a report that not only reports on what is there , but areas that may attract or is a potential hazard to the property in future. A risk assessment and inspection recommendation for furture inspections is usually made. I would get the full inspection by a qualified Pesty. In Victoria most inspectors that I use are around the $385 mark. A proper pest inspection should take approx 2 Hrs. Beware the pre-purchase building inspector that does a combined building and pest inspection in an hour it ain't worth the paper its written on. IMHO

Did you get the building and pest inspection done when you bought the property?
If yes, and the reports did not show any live termite activity and potential issues, you do not have do a termite control/inspection

thanks. Yeah i did a property inspection at the time i brought it. No active termite at that time but property is in an area that has many trees.

I'll make some enquiries how long the inspection will take as an indication. 2 hours sounds excessive but what do I know about termite inspection :)

Have you read the blurb in a termite inspection report ? On that day, at that hour, there maybe no activity...however...

Back