Pest Control - Termite Management

Hi everyone ... looking for some input here.

I purchased my first QLD IP in Brisbane in this time last year. I just received a letter from pest control company explaining that the new home has been protected by a Termguard Reticulation Termite Management System ( sounds pretty kewl rite ? ).:eek:

The letter is asking me to sign an 'Activation Form' and a 'Statement of Understanding' and return it to them. This is in order for the warranty package to kick in.

Some of the conditions are interesting ... they require a 'Full system injection' in Year 2 and then one again in Year 5. In addition to this they require an inspection each year.

Is anyone else using such a service ? How frequently ? Again, I am interested in knowing what others are doing here before signing anything.

Termites are a real problem and it's not worth scimping on keeping them out of your place.

I haven't got the system you talk about but have installed barrier treatements to the outside of my properties due to termites in and around the properties. By the time you find the little beggars they have done alot of damae particulaly if its a rental property because the tenants don't often tell you about it even if they find them. My property manager tells me that the reason for this is that the tenant believes they will be blamed for any damage so keep quiet.

The time between treatments depends on the chemical that the pest controller use. Some chemicals will only last up to 4 years. One that seems to be getting good reports at the moment is Termidor a BASF product. The brochure talks about 8 years but pest controllers still talk about retreating every 5 years.

Termites work fast and quite often the pest inspections don't pick them up. I have gone to 6 monthly inspections after finding them in the property. I then dropp back to yearly when There is no trace of new infestations.

Worth more peace of mind wise to get them out and keep them out that let them dine on your IP.

LearningMan said:
The letter is asking me to sign an 'Activation Form' and a 'Statement of Understanding' and return it to them. This is in order for the warranty package to kick in.

Sounds like just another one of those increasingly onerous contracts being foisted on Consumers.. just like more and more we're being encouraged to enter into contracts for mobile phones, electricity, gas, internet plans, gym membership, etc. I really detest this contractual focus that is taking over so many relationships we have with vendors.. very rarely do the contracts benefit us.

Be wary of the costs of these inspections etc.. get some quotes from local pest controllers for inspections and refills.. your contract could be heavily loaded..

I agree ... I really don't like contracts that do not disclose costs.

I think I will obtain a few quotes and carry out the yearly inspections/ work as required instead of been tied up with such a contract.

While we are on the topic of pest control.... I have a house in Kirribilli. Sounds lovely but unknown to many Kirribilli has a bit of a problem with Rats. Anyway my downstairs tenants reported seeing some rats inside the house (eek!!!). I paid around $600 to have the house treated for pests - while I was at it I thought I'd treat the place for all the nasties. Since then I have heard that after 30 days tenancy the tenant is responsible for all pest control. My tenants have been there for three years.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have had recurring pest issues in IP before and every time the problem has occured shortly after the treatment I have rung the pest company back and they have gone and treated again at no charge. Give this a try

Back