Peter Spann 1 Day Investor Update

thefirstbruce said:
Y-Man, I meant the MQ multistrategy series 2 .....it was the subject of much performance speculation earlier in the thread...

Hi TFB,

I think we had to wait about 3 months for the first of the series 1 prices to come out. Seeing as s2 started in July 2006, I suspect it may take a few more weeks for the first valuations to come out. :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Freeman Fox seem to have a fair bit happening lately for thier investing family on the east coast..is anyone who has attended anything of late able to post details?

RedWing

Hello Redwing,

I went to the Investor Update on Saturday morning and enjoyed the Peter's presentation despite my coughing. (I was the distracting cough up the front, my apologies to anyone who was there)

There was a lot of info to process but some key points included (and these are only my interpretations of what I heard so any mistakes are mine, not Peter's!):

1. The need to consider the increasing influence and opportunities offered by the BRIC countries when looking at investment/wealth creation plans in the next 5-10 years.

(B)razil, (R)ussia, (I)ndia, (C)hina are all burgeoning economies with rapidly expanding needs and likely to drive global growth in the near future.

2. Australian residential property sector as a generalisation (since there is no ONE market or ONE cycle IMHO) is likely to be flat as the yields still need to chase up to the values attributed to the properties esp in the capital cities. This could be achieved either by an improvement in rental yields and/or the passage of time and flat capital growth, rather than a drop in property values.

There is no urgency to enter into this sector at present despite some promise in the volatile prestige residential property sector. It seems we may well be seeing Peter living in Sydney once more if the Brisbane social scene doesn't lift its game :)

3. Further on the point of BRIC investing, Peter expanded on the need to consider investing in Overseas markets as part of most portfolios; highlighting the comparative sizes of the Oz market and the potential opportunities that could be missed by not being involved in the global scene.

4. Interest rates are not generally going to skyrocket and previous comments in prior Investor Updates of a possible recession and +2% rates in the later part of this decade were mentioned.

I missed that update so I can't comment.

I hope this helps.

Sorry Redwing no more but I haven't my notes with me (this was from memory only). Peter introduced 3 managers of products as usual and they gave their comments; Platypus AM, Merril Lynch Global, HFA Yield.

As always, interested parties should contact their favourite Freeman Fox adviser for the details and PDS's.

Regards,

Kenny

The Y-man said:
Hi TFB,

I think we had to wait about 3 months for the first of the series 1 prices to come out. Seeing as s2 started in July 2006, I suspect it may take a few more weeks for the first valuations to come out. :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi Y-man,

Was wondering if you could give a little more insight into the Newton Capital Protected Fund - is the growth mainly capital, or do they distribute income as well? What is the approx. what % of each? Also, if you used a loan to purchase, the interest would be tax deductible I presume - but is the payment for the put option tax deductible?

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Jen

JenD said:
Hi Y-man,

Was wondering if you could give a little more insight into the Newton Capital Protected Fund - is the growth mainly capital, or do they distribute income as well?

From memory it was almost purely for income, no captial growth.

JenD said:
Also, if you used a loan to purchase, the interest would be tax deductible I presume - but is the payment for the put option tax deductible?

I'm a bit fuzzy, but again, I recall something to the effect of 85% odd of the interest but not the put option...? but you need to read the pds and consult with your friendly accountant ...sorry...:) Keep in mind though that it's an income fund so it's not high on tax benefits.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Back