Pets and body corporate

Hello

First of all thanks to all the great people who are so willingly sharing their knowledge on this forum. That is just amazing!

Anyway, I am going to put an offer on a property with a body corporate in place. I asked the RA whether pets would be allowed, to which she said that it had to be approved by the body corporate. I have just read through this thread

http://http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45225&highlight=body+corporate

and now I have gotten a bit concerned as to whether I am doing the right thing by asking for permission to have my indoor cat in the townhouse I plan to buy. Should I just go ahead and put in an offer with the usual condition e.g. finances and satisfactory building and pest inspections? Or should I include the condition of body corporate accepting my cat? I am quite interested in getting the shortest possible settling time (which I believe is 30 days?).

As I have never bought a property before I am quite sure that I will get more questions coming up in the next couple of days, as things hopefully progress.

Cheers,
GF

Just check the BC rules; ring them - many allow one pet as long as you obey specific instructions - eg size, not letting it become a menace etc. If the rules dont allow a pet then you can't have one.

The rule about pets is actually written in our sales agreement. I can understand the issue with pets - hubby is wildly allergic to dogs - even if someone has brushed up against a dog he immediately develops Asthma, and he doesnt get asthma at any other time. And while normal people behave with normal pets, unfortunately there will always be some bozo who takes things to the extreme.

And yes, if you do need permission (if not in the rules) then it should be a condition of the contract.

Last edited:
and now I have gotten a bit concerned as to whether I am doing the right thing by asking for permission to have my indoor cat in the townhouse I plan to buy. Should I just go ahead and put in an offer with the usual condition e.g. finances and satisfactory building and pest inspections? Or should I include the condition of body corporate accepting my cat?
If the cat being accepted is necessary for you to purchase the property, then you should absolutely make the BC's permission a condition of your offer. Particularly since the BC are not a party to the sales contract, you need to be positive you have the permission before going unconditional; don't accept the vendor's assertion that it'll be OK. Once you've allowed the contract to go unconditional, you'll have no recourse later if it turns out you don't get permission.

I'm not sure why a quick settlement is so important to you, but if the vendor does too (as they probably do), then perhaps they can help grease the wheels with the BC and get them to act quickly on your request for written permission to have your cat.

Thanks for your replies.

A quick settlement is due to personal circumstances..

The real estate agent has spoken to the owner who reckons it shouldn't be an issue with the cat. Furthermore the owner is the chair of the BC, so he may be able to get something through ;). I will however make it a condition of the sale, as I don't want any issues later on.

Thanks again

GF

Make it a condition of the sale that approval is given in writing.

You may find (as a friend did) that permission will be given for the animal you have now, but when that one goes to the playground in the sky then you may not be permitted to get another pet.
Marg

Thanks Marg

I have today put in an offer that was accepted.

According to the seller it is actually not written in the body corporate rules, but is an oral agreement amongst the owners. Additionally one of the owners herself have two indoor cats, so it 'shouldn't' be a problem with my cat. I have however, with my offer stated that it is subject to letter of approval from the body corporate giving permission for me to have my indoor cat, and will make sure that it is in the contract as well.

Thanks again.

GF

Back