Pets and dog poo

Hi,
Just last year I began renting out my first home. I recently had a termite inspection on the home and found the interior of the house to be immaculate but the tenants have 2 medium sized dogs. The lease reads 'no pets allowed'. I wasn't really worried about the tenants having pets but when I went out to the back yard there was dog poo everywhere. The tenants have never cleaned up after their pets. Worst is there is a dog park opposite them which provide free dog poo bags. I'm just really disappointed. It seems they are not respecting the house or yard. I don't want to renew the lease. Is this unfair?

I'm not sure I understand. Would you evict? I have asked the PM to ensure the mess is cleaned up. I was thinking of just not renewing the lease.

Yes I would. "No pets" means no pets, not "no pets unless you feel like getting some".

Sneaking a pet into a no pets rental is not uncommon.. most who do this have half a brain and take the dog away during inspections and hide the evidence. Having dogs there and the backyard like a sewer is just general disrespect for your rules on the lease.

In general, tenants who ignore fundamental things like that will also ignore rules like no pets indoors, so I would bet the interior is going to have fleas as well.

They're breaching the terms of the lease anyway, aren't they, by having the pets at all? Unless they're good tenants otherwise, and/or you think you'd be able to get new tenants in quickly, I'd be with Dave on this one.

There's not much worse than having dog poo laying around everywhere. In an extreme version from my travels, I inspected a place in Whyalla a few months back, where it was tough to find anywhere in the backyard that wasn't covered in dog poo :eek: The place was a menagerie, there were sooo many animals living in the house! (the girl living there was a veterinary nurse).

I couldn't wait to get away, it was such a turn off. It'll kill the grass too. So in your case, you can imagine what prospective buyers and tenants may think if it ever came to that.

They're breaching the terms of the lease anyway, aren't they, by having the pets at all? Unless they're good tenants otherwise, and/or you think you'd be able to get new tenants in quickly, I'd be with Dave on this one.

There's not much worse than having dog poo laying around everywhere. In an extreme version from my travels, I inspected a place in Whyalla a few months back, where it was tough to find anywhere in the backyard that wasn't covered in dog poo :eek: The place was a menagerie, there were sooo many animals living in the house! (the girl living there was a veterinary nurse).

I couldn't wait to get away, it was such a turn off. It'll kill the grass too. So in your case, you can imagine what prospective buyers and tenants may think if it ever came to that.

The back yard is a menagerie of dog **** - I'm so annoyed at this! I thought finding good rentals was hard. There is always stuff in the paper about how hard it is for people who rent with rising cost such as electricity. This house is fully solar powered = no electricity. I'm so annoyed!

The back yard is a menagerie of dog **** - I'm so annoyed at this! I thought finding good rentals was hard. There is always stuff in the paper about how hard it is for people who rent with rising cost such as electricity. This house is fully solar powered = no electricity. I'm so annoyed!

I can understand your annoyance but I think it is misplaced.

Forget about being annoyed about a bit of dog s**t in the backyard. This would be an hours work to clean up and hose away when you need to attend to this problem.

What you should be annoyed about is the fact that you could have advertised it as 'with pets' upped the asking rent and in all likelihood found tenants who would have more regard about the property and their dogs.

Cheers

I can understand your annoyance but I think it is misplaced.

Forget about being annoyed about a bit of dog s**t in the backyard. This would be an hours work to clean up and hose away when you need to attend to this problem.

What you should be annoyed about is the fact that you could have advertised it as 'with pets' upped the asking rent and in all likelihood found tenants who would have more regard about the property and their dogs.

Cheers

Thanks, that feels better. I guess rather than evict, I'll up the rent and put in the lease that all dog poo needs to be cleaned daily. Now I know why they call land lords 'micro managers'. I didn't think I'd ever have to have cleaning dog poo in writing.

You put in the Lease a clause that says "no pets", and they ignored you.

You reckon the solution is to put in the Lease a clause that says "no dog ****"....what do you reckon they'll do ??

I'm with handyandy on this one.

If they are paying their rent, I'd let them wallow in their own **** until time for them to move. Hire professional clean up people to wade through the knee deep dog **** in the backyard and take the clean up bill out of their bond.

Just another day in paradise. Aren't ya just thrilled to have hitched your wealth wagon to donkeys like this ?? Giddyup.

Thanks, that feels better. I guess rather than evict, I'll up the rent and put in the lease that all dog poo needs to be cleaned daily. Now I know why they call land lords 'micro managers'. I didn't think I'd ever have to have cleaning dog poo in writing.

I'm scratching my head with your position on this one. You didn't want pets there, but now you're okay with it?

I'm scratching my head with your position on this one. You didn't want pets there, but now you're okay with it?

I'm scratching my head too. On the one hand the tenants have looked after the inside of the house. Having pets means they'll stay. But not cleaning the poo up shows disrespect. I just won't be renewing.

I wouldn't evict tenants because they have got themselves a pet, but I take your point that you now cannot trust them in other ways. In fact, I learned here on SS that a tenant getting a pet after the lease is signed is not grounds to evict anyway.

My advice to you would be to do a thorough check as soon as you can, and if the rest of the house is being looked after, you could add a clause to your next lease that they must clean up the yard at the end of the lease, and that they must carry out a flea treatment and give you the paperwork showing it has been done. I would also add to the lease a clause that if the dogs scratch any doors or walls, that they will pay to have this fixed.

As long as my IP is being looked after, and as long as it is left clean, I don't care if my tenants want to live with fleas and dog poo in the yard. We have always allowed pets and the only time we had any problem was with a dog that scratched the back door. We had written in the lease that any damage to doors or walls would be repaired at the cost of the tenant or we would make the repair and take it out of the bond. The tenant filled the scratches and repainted the door rather than us, so it worked out.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your advice. Yes, something needs to be in the lease and rents adjusted as they have pets. I'll inspect again in a month and if the problems have not been dealt with then I will be forced to not renew. I am still in disbelief that they could do this. I remember when I rented I did everything I could to show I looked after the place.

Hi,
Just last year I began renting out my first home. I recently had a termite inspection on the home and found the interior of the house to be immaculate but the tenants have 2 medium sized dogs. The lease reads 'no pets allowed'. I wasn't really worried about the tenants having pets but when I went out to the back yard there was dog poo everywhere. The tenants have never cleaned up after their pets. Worst is there is a dog park opposite them which provide free dog poo bags. I'm just really disappointed. It seems they are not respecting the house or yard. I don't want to renew the lease. Is this unfair?
Yeah; cos ya need two dogs...

What does that tell about the general intelligence and level of attitude of the people these days?

Let me guess; $5k pure bred attack dogs of some sort....named Shadow and Konan .:rolleyes:

Yep. We've progressed a terrific amount as a species this last few hundred years.

First step; send a letter of breach to the tenant.

This will be ignored, given the history of behaviour by these "people".

Then, send a letter of impending eviction.

In turn; ignored no doubt.

What's next? Sheriff?

Evict and keep bond.

Dear tenant

I attended my property on (date) at (address) and discovered two dogs at the premises and the yard full of canine excrement. May I draw your attention to clause no ** which states 'no pets allowed".

Attached is breach no *** from the Residential Tenancies Authority in (your) State requesting you clean u p the mess .......... blah blah. I will return at (time) on (date) to ensure this is attended to. Should you wish to continue renting these premises, we will have to renegotiate a new lease and the rent will increase to $xxx and blah blah about your responsibilities upon vacating.

How am I going? I have never seen a breach notice so I don't know what terminology they use. My tenants who love to acquire new pets do keep the house immaculate so I just keep increasing the rent every twelve months and we are both happy.

Dear tenant

I attended my property on (date) at (address) and discovered two dogs at the premises and the yard full of canine excrement. May I draw your attention to clause no ** which states 'no pets allowed".

Attached is breach no *** from the Residential Tenancies Authority in (your) State requesting you clean u p the mess .......... blah blah. I will return at (time) on (date) to ensure this is attended to. Should you wish to continue renting these premises, we will have to renegotiate a new lease and the rent will increase to $xxx and blah blah about your responsibilities upon vacating.

How am I going? I have never seen a breach notice so I don't know what terminology they use. My tenants who love to acquire new pets do keep the house immaculate so I just keep increasing the rent every twelve months and we are both happy.

Thanks for that, I will be using this.

Yeah; cos ya need two dogs...

What does that tell about the general intelligence and level of attitude of the people these days?

Let me guess; $5k pure bred attack dogs of some sort....named Shadow and Konan .:rolleyes:

Yep. We've progressed a terrific amount as a species this last few hundred years.

First step; send a letter of breach to the tenant.

This will be ignored, given the history of behaviour by these "people".

Then, send a letter of impending eviction.

In turn; ignored no doubt.

What's next? Sheriff?

Evict and keep bond.

Very funny, unfortunately too true...

How much of an increase is reasonable? Currently the tenants pay $400 pw for a 3b 1b 1g. The house is has a new a/c, d/w sink incinerator, full security with screens and dead lock doors. Moreover the house is fully solar powered so there is minimal, if at all an electricity bill (I used to get $250 back a year). The tenants have been there 1 year and only had a $5 increase.

Considering the pets, how much can I raise the rent?
Thanks in adavnce

I charge an average $20 per week but you will have to tell us where the house is.

Hop onto realestate dot com etc and find out what other houses in that suburb rent for with pets. Or phone a property manager and ask them. Do you use a PM? Pretend to be a new resident moving into the region.

As for my letter above, you MUST read the legislation and ascertain for yourself what is the legal requirement of dealing with this. There will be a page about breaches to the lease and your responsibilities.

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Resources/Resources-for-lessors-agents-and-managers/Lessors-information

Back