Pets and such

Carpet cleaners say they cannot remove the proteins of dog and cat urine from carpet. As well, it seeps through the underlay to the flooring below. Scrubbing and chemical masking do not prevent the return of odour on a warm day and when the house is shut up.

The animal's owner is not always aware where the animal is urinating and repetitive behaviour results in areas becoming saturated before being found.

A dog is far worse than a cat. Dogs do not have the same instinctive behaviour as cats that makes a litter box attractive to them. Then again, if the litter box isn't rountinely maintained, it will force a cat to go elsewhere.

While there are tenants who need somewhere to keep their pet/s inside, what about the tenants who want a clean property and may react to the residue from pets or to the chemical masking products?

We have allowed pets. However it is always an additional risk and where the tenant is less than diligent in cleaning, the pet damage will not be remedied when they leave.

Pet damage isn't a myth. It is human for a PM to remember the property as it was at the last inspection with grime already accumulating, rather than at the start of the lease. Not referring to the diligent PMs who post here.

You make it sound like the end of the world. Jeez, if the carpet is damaged, then replace the carpet and claim it from the bond.

People are filthy, pets are just like children - reflections of their owners.

When I did a working holiday ski season when I'd just finished school, I did a couple of shifts a week on changeover days in the hotel stripping rooms.

There was a large family of about 2 parents 6 kids that had 3 adjoining rooms in the hotel.

They requested that they not be cleaned daily by the housekeeping staff as they wanted their privacy respected.

After a 7 day stay I opened the door to find that the 3 rooms were sealed shut - windows closed despite the mild weather - heaters on full blast. There was a pile of rubbish the size of a quarter of the room that was made up of food scraps, rotten fruit, bones from chicken wings and ribs and a weeks worth of 3 kids FULL, DIRTY NAPPIES. Beds had crap on them, and blood stains from open sores.

I vomited as soon as I opened the door the odour was that foul.

These people managed to do that in a week, on a holidays that would have cost them $15,000.

These people live somewhere, and I bet their pets are doing something like the above photo to someone's carpet...

Meanwhile, my cat will hold it's crap for 2 days if I haven't kept the tray clean enough. He'll nag us until his litter gets changed and proceed to take a crap before I'm done putting the tray back in the corner.

Well, he's decided to not renew their lease. Apparently they have "breached his trust" by asking the RE agent.

No proof of pets being there.

I don't get people. Ah well, his choice.

Pets are such a grey area and grey areas facilitate disagreements.
I've seen too much damage from pets and it's hard to get compensation for the landlord.

The landlord is already at enough financial risk with a normal bond and just humans in occupation without turning the home into a kennel or cattery and the obvious extra risks of damage and the difficulties of recovering costs from tenants.

Consider that if you allow or condone pets, the definition of normal wear n tear is automatically increased, same as if a tenant has 6 kids instead of none. It's a big decision to allow pets and the landlord is not very well covered under legislation and the Tribunals favour tenants in most pet cases anyway. Personally I'd rather not have pets, or be allowed to at least double the bond, but just wishful thinking on my part.
Cheers
crest133

Pets have accidents from time to time but letting them use a corner as a permanent toilet is the pet owners fault, not the animals.

I domesticate stray cats for adoption, I have seen the worse they can do and it isn't bad in my opinion, at least not to a property. As for leather lounges......thats a different story.

Pets or no pets, the key is selecting for responsible tenants, which is not easy to assess with standard tenant checks. There are many more indicators of responsibility that pet owners will readily volunteer than non-pet owners. Here is a checklist. http://www.rentwithpets.com.au/index.php/landlords2/how-to-find-good-tenants

I've seen some pet owners allow their animals to do a lot of damage and simply don't care. Other people like vet nurses are very meticulous with cleaning, and their pets are well behaved, have good flea prevention, well taken care of. Like many others mentioned it is the people looking after the animals that are the problem, not the animals themselves.

Last edited:
It's a pity more landlords don't allow pets. We have two rental properties and both have excellent tenants with pets. Previously had more trouble from bad tenants (single guys and family) with late payment of rent, extra people living there, gardens dead etc. Give me good tenants with pets any day.

Here here!!!!!! Well said. If my tennants look after my property i look after them! As ive explained an extra 10 could cost you 5000 cause think about it you keep putting rent up and then your tennant leaves then you get **** ones who trash your joint.

Here here!!!!!! Well said. If my tennants look after my property i look after them! As ive explained an extra 10 could cost you 5000 cause think about it you keep putting rent up and then your tennant leaves then you get **** ones who trash your joint.

A good tenant is like a good customer for a business. Once you find them, keep the good tenants happy and they will have fewer reasons to leave. Pets do increase the happiness of humans...when they are looked after responsibly.

Back