Pets - Chickens?

Hi all

I recently went to inspect one of my investment properties and noticed the tenant has about 5 - 6 chickens walking around the backyard. He has a dog which I've approved but I never approved chickens!

Is this a big deal? I mean I don't think they'd do too much damage, but I'm more annoyed that the Property Manager never mentioned this to me. The gardens are in a bit of a shocking state too so I'm thinking the Property Manager is just being slack.

What do you guys think? Would you be okay with chickens?

I keep chickens myself, and I personally wouldnt be fussed with tenants keeping them.

They dont go into the house (I hope), and dont do much long term damage to the garden, a bit of scratching and digging. They increase fertility and eat lots of insects etc.

They have been accused of bringing rodents, however this is probably more to do with the way they are fed than having chickens per se. many people scatter grain, and left overs on the ground. these arent always eaten by the chickens, therefore attracting rodents.

Most councils allow chickens, up to 6. no roosters and the pen must be 1 metre from boundary fences. as with all animals its up to the pet owner to ensure the fencing is strong enough to deter escape!

Cmon guys, those jokes are pretty fowl..

Lol. Thanks for the advice tobe. It doesn't look like they cause any damage and if they help with insects that's always a good thing. It doesn't look like they're kept in any sort of pen though.. they just wander the backyard.. *shrug*

Thanks very much!

I think some local councils may have issues with keeping chooks, so might be worthwhile just checking that off too.

Cmon guys, those jokes are pretty fowl..

Lol. Thanks for the advice tobe. It doesn't look like they cause any damage and if they help with insects that's always a good thing. It doesn't look like they're kept in any sort of pen though.. they just wander the backyard.. *shrug*

Thanks very much!

eggsellent. happy to help.

I've always had backyard chooks, but they are contained in a choot run. I won't let them roam the yard because given half a chance they'll dig a hole as big as a dog can dig.

Back