Pets Declined

My SO and I just had our offer accepted for purchase of a two bedroom unit- I was beaming from ear to ear this morning as it we are first home buyers.

We own two cats, so naturally we are required to get permission through strata/body corporate...verbally we had been told by a past member of the board that they generally have no issues with indoor pets and turn a blind eye to any outside???:confused: I found this a little odd.. however our pets are like part of the family so it was important to go down the right avenues.

So long story short, we request that we keep them, they are indoor, quiet temperaments, our unit is at the back of the block , our balcony is away from all others etc and they say NO. Apparently three members are on the commitee- one said it was ok. :( We then ring the Strata manager again, who says to email a plea so we send a letter plus kitty resume and are literally sitting here miserably as we feel it was a reasonable request, which the bylaws state they cant say no to an "unreasonable request".

We also spoke to the agent and asked if the owner has any pull on the commitee as we will raise our offer an extra $2K...

So short of banging my head against a brick wall, does anyone have any further suggestions? How can I prove they are being unreasonable? and before someone else buys the property!!! surely they have to provide a better answer than just no?????

I hope this all made sense:(

Check out the Companion Animal Act

I am told that it allows small pets. But I am not familiar with the act myself.

Move in with your pets and just try to watch them get you out!

I have a newspaper article somewhere about it which i will try to dig up... just trying to remember which of my many 'news article' files i put it in.

The general point of the article is that it will be very difficult to make you as an owner move out because of your pets. Although it is contrary to strata by-laws , if they cannot prove that the pets are having an adverse affect on the living conditions of the other people in the block then they will not have much of a case...

hmm... where is that article!

Move in with your pets and just try to watch them get you out!

I have a newspaper article somewhere about it which i will try to dig up... just trying to remember which of my many 'news article' files i put it in.

The general point of the article is that it will be very difficult to make you as an owner move out because of your pets. Although it is contrary to strata by-laws , if they cannot prove that the pets are having an adverse affect on the living conditions of the other people in the block then they will not have much of a case...

Thankyou that is an interesting article....so I rang fair trading and had a nice chat with her and she agreed based on the whole "cannot refuse reasonable request" thing, it seemed pretty unfair. However if I move in without written permission it will go to mediation and due to already receiving the no from them it could possibly go the wrong direction.

Oh and here's the kicker, the person on the EC who said no, (would) lives in the unit directly opposite us!!! I mean, out of 23 units how freaking unlucky can you be? says he's allergic....well buddy unless you plan on entering my unit there won't be an issue...

Although it is contrary to strata by-laws , if they cannot prove that the pets are having an adverse affect on the living conditions of the other people in the block then they will not have much of a case...

This is the one argument that I cannot get past, if it wasn't for us being honest, he or anyone else wouldn't be any wiser as they are indoor and it will have no affect on anyone.

Thanks again.

*sigh

In the ACT, legislation was recently proposed so that body corporates would not be able to unreasonably refuse a pet.

From what I've read, this seemed to be a first for Australia.

However, the legislation was introduced along with many other measures, which were very unpopular, so I don't know whether the laws were actually passed.

I do think that if governments want people in the future to move into more medium/high density/affordable housing then it is necessary to allow for people to keep appropriate pets. Pet owners make up a high percentage of the population. When I bought my first PPOR, my number one priority was getting somewhere where I could keep a pet.

And yes as a landlord I do allow appropriate pets if the tenant has reasonable references.

This is the one argument that I cannot get past, if it wasn't for us being honest, he or anyone else wouldn't be any wiser as they are indoor and it will have no affect on anyone.

Thanks again.

*sigh

How will they know if you bring them in anyway? They can't come looking in your unit..... have you found the rule of "no cats" in writing from the stara managers, or is it all verbal? Secondly, is the wording "cats" in particular, or just "pets" - i.e. can you then raise a counter protest against someone with a birdcage....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Oh and here's the kicker, the person on the EC who said no, (would) lives in the unit directly opposite us!!! I mean, out of 23 units how freaking unlucky can you be? says he's allergic....well buddy unless you plan on entering my unit there won't be an issue...

Whilst I would be seriously tempted to leave some cat fur in his mailbox to test it out, it may very well be that the individual has some acute medical condition which may be life threatening....:(

Cheers,

The Y-man

How will they know if you bring them in anyway? They can't come looking in your unit..... have you found the rule of "no cats" in writing from the stara managers, or is it all verbal? Secondly, is the wording "cats" in particular, or just "pets" - i.e. can you then raise a counter protest against someone with a birdcage....

Cheers,

The Y-man

As I said, the person on the EC is directly opposite us. It doesn't specifically say NO CATS but specifically NO PETS, so far the no has been verbal, however they do all have an email request from us, so to move in after they have said no would be a little risky don't you think?

as far as I am aware birds and fish are different.

Whilst I would be seriously tempted to leave some cat fur in his mailbox to test it out, it may very well be that the individual has some acute medical condition which may be life threatening....:(

Cheers,

The Y-man

What a fantastic idea! It might just solve the problem :D

so the Strata Manager emailed us and is waiting on one more response....so far one EC member has said yes, the other no...

fingers crossed...

Sorry i dont get it! your home your rules, congratulatons on your new home and i hope your cats like it there to.

Your Lot, Strata's rules. Simple really.

KaPow, how many people would say they have a nice indoors cat that they want to have live with them that ends up spending half the day wandering around all the other units. I can see why the allergic person might be opposed to the idea. I have a brother in-law that is allergic to cats. It's not a nice condition, I wouldn't wish it on anyone and I certainly wouldn't put him in a position where my actions resulted in him being effected. Please don't think it is your right to have a cat there, it certainly isn't.

Back