Pets = higher rent?

Maybe, to some extent.
To me, a pet friendly policy is more about getting a broader selection of tenants and having tenants less likely to move due to the difficulty in finding another pet friendly landlord.

Generally speaking, are tenants with pets more likely to accept a higher rent, purely because it's difficult to find a place?

We have a cat & a dog & were approved for 3 places last week after selling our PPOR - one was a brand new house. All the rents were within $10pw of each other & they were the same price as places that stipulated no pets. We knocked back the new place & went for one $10 week cheaper 400m up the road. Not what we had expected after everyone told us how hard it would be with pets!
We didnt end up paying any more than if we didnt have them -

Cheers
Stella

When we last advertised a property we had 6 weeks notice so I thought what the hey and advertised it at $50 higher than what it should be stating pets considered just to try my luck and was pleased when we had 5 people seriously considering it... unfortunately none of them turned out so we then lowered the rent but I will try it again if we have allot of notice.

Generally speaking, are tenants with pets more likely to accept a higher rent, purely because it's difficult to find a place?

They may accept a higher rent , but I don' t see why a pet bond would not suffice ? I like to have a friendly business relationship with my tenants , sometimes being kind of heart can reward you with appreciative, loyal, long-term renters .

Plus, depending on what kind of pet it is , it may provide your investment with a little extra security .

we find that advertising a property as pet friendly (particularly at the lower end of the market) stimulates a lot of interest... usually this interest means that the property might actually get more rent.

i just approved rabbits in a one bedroom unit for one of my landlords... never had rabbits before - i wonder what damage they might do?

Im with Rob on this one. I dont charge any more rent for my pet friendly places, but I do have a clause for clean up and damage repair for the end of lease.

In fact, all my places are pet friendly...and I've not had a problem yet... touch wood.

Luvvit.

i just approved rabbits in a one bedroom unit for one of my landlords... never had rabbits before - i wonder what damage they might do?

What sort of animals can be allowed to stay inside the house apart from fish, cats, dogs & snakes!

Well in the US they also keep horses, aligators and tigers... although I think there was a news item last year about a guy who's "pet" tiger mauled him...

musta been bored and wanted walkies.......

We have a rabbit. It eats and poops and is generally a waste of space (its not my rabbit, I just rent it cage space in the backyard). I guess they'd be fine in a cage that is regularly cleaned. I think you can toilet train them too.

I just had someone through that has a Maltese. Unless I get a flock of other people wanting the house, the Maltese gets a new home.

its not like you should raise the rent , because of pets, but the numbers tell one you could? both from wear and tear, pet smells and the shortage of homes ( with land ) that are available, its another familly member, which usually requires a yard, that could be damaged, pull up the carpet of a cat lovers house and you will see what i mean,

ps perhaps you could advertise eg 440pw and when asked about pets then rais it by 10$ it realy seems fair, for the home owner.

In theory, its all supply and demand. At least in Canberra, there is a higher demand for 'pets allowed' rentals than there is supply so I think that yes, it does allow you to charge a higher rent. We rent our properties at the higher end of the market rate as 'pets allowed' and have always had multiple applications from one poorly advertised open inspection. We only hold one open and advertise it poorly because we self manage and I just don't have the time to deal with 20+ (no kidding) inquiries per day.

In reality, the tight market means we wouldn't have trouble attracting tenants anyway, but around 50% of our applications include pets so it gives us a wider pool of potential tenants to choose from.

We had a rabbit and their urine is highly corrossive and damaged our carpet! They also destroy gardens if allowed out.

Hi garbage, (why oh why "garbage?"):p

I recently had an offer for $50/week more rent for 8 puppies and their parents to live in my unit.:eek:

I said no.

But I did take in someone for 10/week more for one 13 yr old dog.:)

Regards JO

Hi garbage, (why oh why "garbage?"):p

I recently had an offer for $50/week more rent for 8 puppies and their parents to live in my unit.:eek:

I said no.

But I did take in someone for 10/week more for one 13 yr old dog.:)

Regards JO

At the end of the day, it comes down to target market.

If your property is not pet-friendly, or allows no pets, you may attract only 60% of prospective renters. If your property allows pets, it would attract 100% of the target renters. Hence, it leads back to the classic supply v demand phenomenon. What is important to note is that most of these pet-friendly places could also be located close to pet-friendly amenities like parks which would be an added bonus and it would only be prudent that one tacks on a few extra dollars each week for this!

You would be amazed what some people go through, to cater for their pets. I have a mate who tells people off for eating in her car, but she is perfectly fine with her dog leaving fur all over the back seats and once, sh*tting all over the upholstery. She even calls the dog 'my son' and I am like WTF, hahahahahaha....

add $100/month for a dog,
applicants are Happy to pay it,
there arent enough places that take dogs here,
and you cant leave em outside in a doghouse at -25

They seem to survive nicely at -15 or so though :p

Gets cold out this way, but not THAT cold. Official minimum (behind the post office in a nice sheltered spot) is only -8.6.

Back