Phew!!!!

Got home from work last night after my 12 km ride (on the deadly treadly).

Jumped in the shower.

Smelt smoke.

Looked outside - everything white.

Jumped out of the shower - to the front door.

Everything white (smoke)

Turns out there was a bit of a bushfire (4th this summer so far) between the Swan river and our house.

As ours is closest to the bush, and the river - it was a little disconcerting.

The firies turned up and stopped the fire about 50m from our front lawn, so big ups to the firies.

I'll post some photo's soon (if they turned out that is.)

Everything smells like smoke now though :(

A scary experience!

We had a fire come into our backyard last year in Sydney....the fire brigade went to the wrong place so a neighbour & I had to put it out with garden hoses.

It was particularly annoying as I got evacuated (after the fire was out due to smoke) and didn't have time to get changed for a business meeting. The people I was meeting were very understanding though about my smoke-smelling clothes & sandles :) Had to contact all my neighbours who were working and let them know too - and tell my kids' school that they may have to stay late.

We ended up losing the kid's cubby house, a sandpit & most of our vege gardens.

The units nextdoor had the fire get into their garage (which the fire brigade ALSO missed and had to be called back for) & had to have extensive repairs done.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Not that anyone on this forum would ever be non-insured - but don't anyone do what some have done previously (and will continue to do) which is not have their home / contents insured and then wait until a bushfire is lapping at their front door before calling an insurance company to hastily arrange cover.

Sorry - it doesn't work like that.

btw Puppeteer - glad to hear it is all ok.

MB :)

Actually, I had only paid the insurance a few days earlier, so yeah I hear where ya coming from.

The other problem is where you take out a policy for all the right reasons, and then something like this happens shortly afterwards. The insurance company's kinda get suss about this.

Anyway - here's one of the few photo's that wasn't totally obscured by smoke.

1643Bushfire1_LoRes-med.jpg

Puppeteer, apologies if it seemed so, those comments re: insurance weren't aimed at anything you had done - more a general warning.

It is inevitably the case that insurance policies could fall due for renewal right in the middle of, say, a bushfire. Persons who renew their insurance or, as I understand it, even change insurers at that time don't have anything to worry about (so long as they have consecutive cover).

However, there exists an element in society that chooses not to insure their property on an ongoing basis but all of a sudden have a change of heart when a 60 foot wall of flames appears at the end of their street. These are the people who expect instant cover and free-ride on everyone else (free-ride on people who do the right thing).

Too late to cry when your beloved house or IP has been reduced to a pile of smouldering rubble.

MB

No stress Pitt Street. Didn't think it was aimed at me.

I'm one of the sort who likes to protect my investments, so Insurance is considered one of the costs of doing business :) This was just one of those co-incidental things where I turned to my housemate and said "glad we paid those premiums the other day".

Back