Phone line

A house I've just purchased has a kitchen-less granny flat. I don't think it has a phone line. I'll be putting in a kitchen, but I spoke to Telstra and they quoted $299 to put in a phone line. Just wanted to double check that that's something I pay for and not the tenant. Is that right?

They also indicated that they had no record of the main house having a phone line, which I found odd given this is a 90 year old house in a capital city. So another $299 there.

Could it just be that the house has a phone line, but no phone number connected?

$299 for new connection
$59 for activating existing connection

So what some people do is have tenant pay the normal $59 they would have had to pay if they were moving in anyways and landlord pays difference.

End of the day, its property owners responsibility to supply as its an essential service.

Kitchenless GF - sounds like it is not approved for the additional occupancy (or the agent sold you a pup, yeah thar's a granny flat/kids retreat out the back) but didn't tell you that anyone could live in it.

Hey Scottie,Didn't you mention in another thread all you need is a campers stove or microwave?

Only joking mate,look fwd to OP's outcome.

Kitchenless GF - sounds like it is not approved for the additional occupancy (or the agent sold you a pup, yeah thar's a granny flat/kids retreat out the back) but didn't tell you that anyone could live in it.

Nah it's good. The kitchenless granny flat came free with the house, so it won't hurt me to wait till SA wakes up and relaxes their GF laws.

Still amazed that a 90 year old house has never had a phone line installed.

You pay not the tenant,part of essential service.

Sorry this is incorrect in NSW (OP location) so if the property is in NSW the LL doesn't have to pay or even have these service connected under the current Residential Tenancies Act 2010.

Extract from the Tenants Union NSW (http://www.tenants.org.au/factsheet-23-utilities)

"A landlord is not required to provide telephone, television and internet connections with the premises.

However, existing phone/TV/internet sockets are facilities provided with the premises for use of the tenant. As such, the landlord is obliged to ensure such facilities are in reasonable condition and to maintain them ? unless this is specifically excluded in the tenancy agreement."

Edit: Now I read it maybe in SA (last post by OP) which was not provided in the first post or until other replies were posted so still relevant for NSW as a reference. No idea for SA but maybe behind NSW so probably still the LL has to pay.:(

Personally womble66,i'd put in a phone line either way.

Imagine getting an elderly tenant in that doesn't use a mobile?

What home doesn't have a phone line despite HappyCampers 90yr old habitat?

Anyhow,phone line in,happy tenant,happy life.

Personally womble66,i'd put in a phone line either way. Imagine getting an elderly tenant in that doesn't use a mobile? What home doesn't have a phone line despite HappyCampers 90yr old habitat?
Anyhow,phone line in,happy tenant,happy life.

I don't disagree as $299 now may pay for itself in the long run by being a nice LL?:)

I was only correcting the information as each state is different and in NSW its not the LL that has to pay being that the term essential service is no longer relevant.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Telstra weren't able to tell me if there was a phone line physically going to the house without me applying for a phone line then cancelling, so I'm going to leave this one for the tenant and to chip in the $299 less $59 if the phone line doesn't exist. Thanks D.T. for this tip!

Legislation is: as long as there is a phone line to the property to make it phone ready the connection fee is the reasponsibilty of the tenant NOT the owner. The owner is only reasponsible for the property to be phone ready. Some owner go halves with the tenants but they do not have to do this. Please be careful with what you end up being made reasponsible for and this goes for consumable items that the tenant is reasponsible for as well NOT the owner

The owner is only reasponsible for the property to be phone ready.

Like before this is incorrect in NSW so if it is the regulation in VIC then you need to specify.

Does the 299 include digging the trench and running the conduit?

From the Telstra site (buried deep):

Trenching costs on your property are not included in the Telstra connection fee. There may be additional charges that are your responsibility

The costs of the cable/pipe in your trench from the Telstra network in the street to the Network Boundary Point, are included in the Telstra connection fee

So if you need a trench you need to either pay or dig but the rest is covered in the $299.

Tenant in NSW is only responsible for the reconnection fee - not even the initial connection fee. Why? They can't take the phone line with them when they leave.

Tenant in NSW is only responsible for the reconnection fee - not even the initial connection fee. Why? They can't take the phone line with them when they leave.

Reference please as its not what the Advocacy Services Tenants NSW website quotes?

New connections (Fact Sheet 23)

If you want a new connection installed you must have the landlord?s consent. They must not unreasonably withhold consent if the work required for the installation is of a ?minor nature? (see the NSW Fair Trading factsheet ?Asking to make an alteration? at www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au).

You will have to pay for installation (although the landlord may agree to pay or contribute to the cost).

You pay for repairs to connections you have installed.

Back