pilot light on central gas heater wont stay on

please help. I've just returned from an overseas trip yesterday and had the central gas heather turned off for 30 days (switched off at the power + gas inlet valve).

Now when I turn it on, the pilot refuses to stay on. It's an internal (roof space) Brivis Wombat 92 central gas heater (approx 14yrs old).

1. I follow the pilot instructions ... it comes on ... the heater works as expected ... and when it goes for a rest at target temperature ... the subsequent restart is air only (i.e. fan only ... with no flames/heat in the central unit)

2. I try to light the pilot again ... it works .... but goes off as soon as I release the depressed gas knob (tried leaving it depressed from 30secs to almost 5 minutes duration ... but in vain). This is when the EPRL light on the controller flashes non-stop

3. and now I've gone through endless cycles of above two steps everytime I "turn it off ... wait 5 mins ... turn if on" at the mains/power switch.

any assistance would be appreciated .... the wifey is annoyed at the cold Melb weather ... and it's getting painfull for me to keep on making endless trips in the roof cavity simply for few minutes of heating run.

help!!!

That's a pretty old unit. Chances are the pilot thermostat (that keeps the gas to the pilot open) is shot.

Time to call a plumber.

Cheers,

The Y-man

have booked in a gas appliance / plumber person for tomorrow. Will see how it goes

there is usually a small sensor that is within the pilot flame to keep the gas flowing ,over time this sensor wears,melts,so that it is no longer within the flame ,this is usually fixed by moving it further into the flame

there is usually a small sensor that is within the pilot flame to keep the gas flowing ,over time this sensor wears,melts,so that it is no longer within the flame ,this is usually fixed by moving it further into the flame

Hi Arms

This is the thermocouple which doesn't actually melt.

It is a safety device to stop the gas flowing should the flames go out.

Cheers

Pete

yup ... needed a new thermocouple + an injector (combined with 40mins of labour)

I can actually see the pilot burning a lot better now ... kinda gone from half-dead to being alive ..... which is the same for me since don't need to make umpteen trips into the roof space to turn on the heating :)

thanks for the responses folks

Back