Pink Shower 'Worms'!!

OK, this is really starting to freak me out and I need to know what the little buggers are before I stop showering all together!! :eek:

I have these little pink worm like things coming out of my shower head! They are about 5cm/2" long, 2mm wide, flat and bold pink in colour. When I walk into the bathroom in the morning they are sometimes there just hanging out of the holes in the shower head! Ewww! There have been about 20 of them I guess. I started using the other shower but then one came out of there too!

They are grossing me out!! So I have not inspected them up close... :eek:

Have any of you seen the same thing? I thought that with all the reno's that everyone does someone is bound to have come across this...

We just moved into this place a few months ago. It was built last year, so all fittings are still very new. Could it be some kind of seal or something that has broken down inside the shower head?

Someone please put my mind at ease because showering is becoming a scary event!! :(

Cheers,

Ali G

Seems odd that its the showers and not the other taps in the house. My initial thought was it may be comming from the water supply but if its isolated only to the showers in two diifferent rooms thats weird. For that matter the hole thing is weird. I've definately not heard of it before.

MJK

Ali,
Are you sure it's not part of the tap seal (the plastic thing that goes inside the tap), or the shower ring seals ? I've had an old shower where these have started to come out, originally red but bleached pink over time & start dangling from the shower head holes. Next thing is it won't stop dripping.

Cheers - Mark

um...

Are they alive?

I assume not, since you are asking whether they had something to do with the reno, but was just wondering.

asy :D

Mark is on the money, it is strongly likely that these are threads of the red washers from the shower head arm. Some tap washers are made of similar material. The washers wear out.

This is a really funny question. :D :D

Lplate said:
Mark is on the money, it is strongly likely that these are threads of the red washers from the shower head arm. Some tap washers are made of similar material. The washers wear out.

This is a really funny question. :D :D

You are referring to what is called the fibre washer which are usually very hard & stiff and dont usually come out like worms.

Wow! What a response! Thanks everyone! :)

MJK - spot on. They are only coming out of the shower heads. Have not seen them coming out of any other taps, so it has to be something to do with the showers themselves.

Mark - I don't know if it's part of the seal or not, that's why I'm freaking out at the possibilities about what it might be!!! :eek: This shower is only a year old, so I would find it surprising if the seal was going already, although the owner obviously built the place 'on the cheap' so maybe he bought Reject Shop shower heads??

Likewow - LOL! I have run a few times, no kidding!!!

asy - they are not alive, but I am concerned that maybe one day they were... :confused: They don't move. Thank goodness.

Lplate - it is both funny AND scary. Not so funny if you want to shower and there are half a dozen pink wiggly things hanging out of the shower when you go to stand under it!

TheBacon - you might be joking, but I was actually going to post a photo on here. I got my camera out but the batteries had died. Since that day, no more worms, but I live in fear! Next time I see one I will take his pic. ;)

As for the stuff being like a washer, well it is kind of stiff. It comes out in this stiff, flat strands. But it is textured... so I started thinking of parasites... you know how they have segments... ewwww! But stiff - yes - so maybe just part of the washer. I will keep reminding myself of this!!

Thanks everyone, although I am still waiting for someone to say "YES! I have seen it, and this is what it is ... " :confused:

Cheers,

Ali G (freakin out in da ouse)

Ali G said:
Next time I see one I will take his pic. ;)

Make sure he's smiling and his hair is done nicely...

Thanks everyone, although I am still waiting for someone to say "YES! I have seen it, and this is what it is ... " :confused:

OK, I give up...

YES! I have seen it!

It IS perished rubber from the seals.

Seriously.

I replaced the seals and the 'worms' are gone.

A still photo wouldn't convey the 3D effect.

Maybe a video.

Take it from entering the shower, discovering the little blighters and then the screaming exit. Wear your best shower cap and be careful with the close-ups.

:D :D

......Sorry, at least it isn't a spider. Unless of course it's the Patagonian Pink Legged Tarantula that is presently colonising Australia. What ever you do, stay away from them! :eek:

asy said:
OK, I give up...

YES! I have seen it!

It IS perished rubber from the seals.

Seriously.

I replaced the seals and the 'worms' are gone.

Thanks asy for putting my mind at ease! And thanks everyone else for trying to freak me out more! I will forever be looking over my shoulder when I'm in the bathroom... just in case the critters are watching... :( Or creeping up on me! :eek:

Mark - since you mentioned that the shower will start dripping a lot, I have realised that it has actually been dripping more. Is that normal for a one year old shower seal to break down so quickly? Is it something we can repair ourselves or do we have to contact the landlord?

Do you think he would be brave enough to come if I told him about my shower worms??? :p

Cheers,

Ali G

I had to write this ... this is the best laugh I have had in a while!
Thanks everyone ... especially to you Ali for starting this thread. :D

Cheers,

Nom

Ali

There are comprehensive books on home handyman stuff like repairing taps. $30- 40 well spent.

Or visit the Council library.

Lplate

Last edited:
Ali, sorry I should have mentioned, I've seen it too ! Seals used to go on my shower every 1-2 yrs until I renovated the bathroom, maybe the mains pressure was too high ? To get it fixed:
1)If it's rented it's the landlords responsibility, so you can call your agent but depends on how good they are as to how long you will have to wait for it to get done.
2) Fix it yourself, borrow a home handyman book from the library, ask a neighbour/friend who's semi handy, or just do it (remember to turn the water mains off B4 you take anything apart). It'll cost you $4-5 for a packet of seals & a roll of Teflon tape from Bunnings, (small tip, when removing the tap insert ensure the tap is open because if you've got it shut tight it seals itself & you'll just wreck the tap insert remover thingy)
3) Hire a handyman, they normally charge $20 or so/hr, watch & learn.

Cheers & don't stress, they don't bite :D

& Acey, that was the best in a while - by a loooooong shot

Hi all.
Like Nom, I am finding this thread very amusing. I apologise to Ali G, as I have nothing constructive to add but upon stepping into my shower last night I thought of this thread and had a bit of a chuckle to myself which my wife heard and asked "whats so funny". I replied "pink worms". Needless to say, she didn't get it.

Regards
Marty

Well, thanks guys for your ideas and feedback. Glad you could halt my fear right where it was, and also glad that you got a giggle out of this thread... :)

Should my mates reappear I will be sure to post their pic!

Cheers,

Ali G

Well, they finally posed for me a couple of weeks ago, so here is a pic of my mates!!

They have been hiding ever since. Must be camera shy!! :)

All the best for a great New Year everybody!

Cheers,

Ali G

Attachments

• IMG_2478_1_1_1.JPG
    IMG_2478_1_1_1.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 311
Back