Pizza Night

Does the oven become a hiding or breeding ground for cockroaches etc :confused:

I suppose they get cremated when its fired up again if so

Nah, after the pizzas are cooked you leave the coals burning, spread across the floor.

By the time the thing is cooled down there is just ash and a few lumps of coal and not a trace of food anywhere. Burnt to oblivion.

One of the best things is the fact they are self cleaning. If some cheese or topping goes AWOL, simply rake some coals over the area for 5mins, and push back, and you are back to a nice hot and clean cooking surface again.

Pizza Stone

For those who do not have pizza ovens I am told you can use pizza stones as cheap as $10, same effect, not sure, have not tried this. Make sure you put some polenta on the stone so the base does not stick when cooking in the oven

For those who do not have pizza ovens I am told you can use pizza stones as cheap as $10, same effect, not sure, have not tried this. Make sure you put some polenta on the stone so the base does not stick when cooking in the oven

Always been curious as to what others use.

Semolina is my choice for the peel to ensure nothing sticks.

Oh yes, one person is a vegetarian

For some veg options...

I really like artichoke, sun-dried or semi-dried tomato, and pineapple, with no cheese (just with regular tomato 'sauce' base and fresh tomatoes too if you like). Those toppings are 'juicy' enough not to need any cheese.

You can also cook up a thick cannelini bean 'sauce' - lots of crushed garlic cooked in some olive oil, then add cannelini beans (either pre-cooked or canned - we use 6 cans at a time) and veggie stock, some herbs, and cook for at least 20 min, stirring occasionally. The beans get really soft and break down a little bit but not completely so that it's creamy but not smooth like it's been blended. This is used as a thick layer on a par-baked base in place of tomato sauce, then sliced tomato & herbs put on tip. (Again, no cheese. You par-bake the base so it doesn't end up soggy.) Cook until the tomatoes look done.

Pre-marinated tofu (eg satay) is a good alternative for meaty toppings, or you can get some of the mock meats eg sausages or deli slices that are quite widely available.

Also marinated eggplant or roast capsicum, mushrooms, capers, pine nuts and olives are some more options.

Gosh I'm making myself hungry here!!!

Ps in my experience at 'omni' pizza nights the veg ones are never the ones left over at the end of the night so even if you only have one 'official' vegetarian coming I recommend catering as though there are more! :)

Another successful pizza night:)

A little secret, but perhaps no real secret:

Make your own sauce from scratch

Make your own pizza base from scratch (alternatively go to a local restaurant that sells pizzas and purchase theirs bases most will sell these:)

Use only fresh ingredients, don't go cheap on cheeses etc, get the best, makes massive difference to the flavour/taste.

Biggest mistake, too many toppings, as it will kill the flavour

Margherita pizza my favourite - simple, a couple of flavours that compliment each other, just make sure you don't place basil when cooking it as it will burn, always after, adds a beautiful aroma.

MTR:)

Here's the little beast

This cost about $5000, DH purchased in a kit form

Attachments

• pizza oven.jpg
    pizza oven.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 74
Me too

Just realised I doubled up on photo of the pizza oven oh well, this is an old thread.

We also had potato pizza for vegetarians.
Smoked salmon with white sauce and cappers.
I like thin base, nice a crispy

I would never recommend your guests making their own pizza, been down this road, absolute disaster, all they want to do is overload the pizzas with toppings, they are a greedy lot, they end up with more on the floor than the pizza.

That's expensive !!!

We could buy 1010 pizzas from eagle boys or dominios for that price :)
They have some tasty ones for $4.95 all day,everyday

That's like comparing cordial to freshly squeezed orange juice.

Sure one is a lot cheaper but there's a reason for that

That's expensive !!!

We could buy 1010 pizzas from eagle boys or dominios for that price :)
They have some tasty ones for $4.95 all day,everyday

Sorry Kathryn but dominos is just terrible, probably my least favourite pizza takeaway. I draw the line when they have combinations like chips/sausages on pizza, what the hell is that about. I think they even made a pizza where the crust had cheese in the centre, let me throw up:eek: Seriously not healthy.

If you try home made pizza you may never go back I am sure of it.

There are some things I will happily pay extra for and its not just about the food its also about the atmosphere, fun, sharing good times with friends eating wonderful pizzas, all the good stuff., but I also love my food:)

Sorry Kathryn but dominos is just terrible, probably my least favourite pizza takeaway. I draw the line when they have combinations like chips/sausages on pizza, what the hell is that about. I think they even made a pizza where the crust had cheese in the centre, let me throw up:eek: Seriously not healthy.

If you try home made pizza you may never go back I am sure of it.

There are some things I will happily pay extra for and its not just about the food its also about the atmosphere, fun, sharing good times with friends eating wonderful pizzas, all the good stuff., but I also love my food:)

lol....

We actually only buy pizza here in Australia..as it is so cheap (when travelling)
otherwise we make it

All good...I just thought $5k was a lot for the oven...and then need to put it together.

As long as you are happy...you got your money's worth :)

I only read the thread as I thought there may have been a pizza night invite ;)

We made him made Pizzas at a friends place a couple of months ago, great night and delish pizza's

Hi Everyone

We are having a pizza night in 3 weeks time, been a while, DH built the pizza oven and its been fun, but it is also hard work.

MTR:)

There's nothing as good as a pizza cooked in a proper oven. I'd be wanting pizza every night of the week with that! My favourites topping is speck and porcini. The simple ones are often the best.

Back