Pizza Night

And one is ruder than the other.

You remind me of a mate. The first description of any item is almost always monetary based.

Kathryn why don't you post your private comment here for all to see? What did you write? Oh that's right: KISS MY ***. Classy as ever.

187.gif

Must admit my hubby just buys some nice ciabatta from the local store, adds canned tomatoe and some nice topping then cooks under the grill. Tastes gorgeous, way nicer than any take away. I get that it wouldn't be great for a dinner party though. Luckily we've got no friends so it doesn't matter :(

I spent prob around 3.5k on my oven. Money well spent. The output is incomparable to any store bought or BBQ prepared effort. Also love the process of heating the oven and the magnificent roasting of meats as the oven cools following the intense heat for pizza.

I agree that some things are just priceless.

I thought the $5000 was a typo, in fact I had read the figure as $500 until someone pointed it out yesterday.

So off to Uncle Google I went and found:
Instructions on how to build your own pizza oven - $23 - but further down the add the seller mentioned that he spent thousands of dollars in materials to build his.

Another place is selling a pizza oven for several hundred dollars. It comes in pieces that you put together yourself. It's just the top bit, no base.

I've already got a pile of second hand bricks here that I have been intending to use for the purpose. After five years I had better get cracking! Too many Thursday nights recently watching the food shows on SBS has me hankering for a pizza oven. The new stainless steel BBQ we bought last year, even with pizza stones, just doesn't cut it.

$50 second hand BBQ
Large floor tiles (free)
Heat up to around 230 c
= Winner ;)

Nice work, I thought they would crack with the heat, but then again there's a variety of tiles, so what type did you use :D

Does it take long to heat the tiles?

I agree that some things are just priceless.

I thought the $5000 was a typo, in fact I had read the figure as $500 until someone pointed it out yesterday.

So off to Uncle Google I went and found:
Instructions on how to build your own pizza oven - $23 - but further down the add the seller mentioned that he spent thousands of dollars in materials to build his.

Another place is selling a pizza oven for several hundred dollars. It comes in pieces that you put together yourself. It's just the top bit, no base.

I've already got a pile of second hand bricks here that I have been intending to use for the purpose. After five years I had better get cracking! Too many Thursday nights recently watching the food shows on SBS has me hankering for a pizza oven. The new stainless steel BBQ we bought last year, even with pizza stones, just doesn't cut it.

I am sure you can do better than $5000, because I got confused it was actually $1200 for pizza oven, I included the granite bench top and other outdoor items as DH did the lot:)

In case anyone is going to go down the track of building one, some side notes (im an ex bricklayer, and built myself one and it is also the last project you do at TAFE for your apprenticeship). I am a little obsessed as you will find out below.

Key to it all is insulation and materials. Cream solid bricks are required, since they are fired at a higher temp and can withstand 1000C +. Look nice too IMO.

Insulation is required to the base and around the dome. This is key. It allows the bricks to get saturated with heat, and even after the fire is out you can hold 150C + for a couple of days for breads/baking/slow cooks. Under the base bricks (laid herringbone to prevent the peel catching) is ceramic board, around the dome is kiln insulation prior to render. Alternatively if you surround the dome I am told vermiculite is good too.

The opening should be around 60-66% of the overall dome height. Allows enough oxygen in for burning without losing too much heat.

I spent $900 on materials for mine at trade rates. Bricks, special mortar (very important), ceramic board, kiln insulation. With help I think anyone could do it from scratch rather than kit form. Probably cheaper and more satisfying.

2E470581-2775-4757-B3DB-556D673BB63F_zpsxzqeuyas.jpg

D890DEE8-D8C3-4F3E-9E6D-450AE1658513_zpsxwdvk2at.jpg

C5980068-4405-4889-B808-B8D23FA1A31F_zpsxzc5psln.jpg

3853B89F-E406-435A-BBFD-092988E44401_zpsbcgmj0hd.jpg

Back