places to retire cheaply

Yet another reason why I never want kids. Would have to foster them out when I want to travel :p

Boarding school :)

As kids grow up they can become excellent travel companions. I think I'd go anywhere with my 14yo. The 5 and 7yo love travelling too and are more about the simple things so would enjoy living anywhere - just don't try dragging them to museums and art galleries.

Yet another reason why I never want kids. Would have to foster them out when I want to travel :p

haha, don't take it the wrong way. I wouldn't trade anything the world has to offer for waking up next to my wife and putting my son to bed at night. :)

Dex
I don't think anyone is having a dig at investor2009, just "expressing an opinion", everyone has one, its like a belly button.

I lived abroad for a number of years, and I don't have a sense of adventure... right, I have my eyes wide open.;)

Just calling a spade a shovel, when considering living overseas one would be foolish not to consider all aspects that make for a great lifestyle, and I was pointing out the fact that just because it is cheap does not equate to living the dream.

I don't see any of these countries listed in the top 10... I wonder why???? this is rated on education, health, weather, lifestyle, employment and many other factors.

Throw in the mix of not understanding the language, different culture and away from friends and family ....mmmmm......sounds like it could get pretty lonely and depressing, not my idea of paradise.

IMO ....I consider anyone living in Australia has won lotto, have a think about that one.

Cheers
MTR:)

.I consider anyone living in Australia has won lotto,

Agree 110% percent. It has it's faults no doubt but we are so lucky to live in a great country like this. Why do you think people risk death on rusty boats to make it here from a lot of those cheap-places-to-live. I have seen a fair chunk of the world and nothing compares IMO to what we have here. The only other place where I felt I could make a life was Canada but the winters are so brutal and I hate the cold.

Again though if I was a 30 something, single, no dependants I would probably just drift for a few years and see what else is on offer. I did that for 4 months when I was 20 and loved it at the time.

If you want to live "cheap" in Australia it can be done. Go look for a sleepy hollow somewhere along the east coast. Properties can be had for less than 300k. Grow your own food etc. You could live a life like that on less than 50k a year if the house is paid off. If you want to do the capital city thing though and have all the latest shlock then you have to stump up for it.

Exactly:)
Sleepy hollow anywhere in Australia would be preferable IMO.

I decided a few years ago now that I wont go to any countries where there is a hole in the ground as a toilet, my choice, just over it and I certainly would not want to live like this.

It was only recently that two people got sent back in body bags from Bali, food poisoning WT:eek:. These countries clearly do not have any governing bodies to prevent this/no accountability, also recent deaths in bars... and the list goes on. No thanks.

I would sooner have less money in my pocket than lower my standards and sacrifice what I consider a near perfect lifestyle in Oz.

Exactly:)
Sleepy hollow anywhere in Australia would be preferable IMO.

I decided a few years ago now that I wont go to any countries where there is a hole in the ground as a toilet, my choice, just over it and I certainly would not want to live like this.

It was only recently that two people got sent back in body bags from Bali, food poisoning WT:eek:. These countries clearly do not have any governing bodies to prevent this/no accountability, also recent deaths in bars... and the list goes on. No thanks.

I would sooner have less money in my pocket than lower my standards and sacrifice what I consider a near perfect lifestyle in Oz.

I know Thai people that are scared about the alcohol induced one punch killings in Australia.

Try Vanuatu. Very friendly people, and a growing expat community. A little more expensive than parts of SE Asia for housing but food is quite inexpensive and the scenery is great. We purchased a 2 bedroom bungalow overlooking the water in 2010, and now use it as our second home. Only a short trip back to Aust. If you need to get off the Rock.

How about we buy a small island in one of these archipelagos. That way Ozzies can retire there. We could build huts, ship in booze and women, canned food.....aaahhh..."Just sit right back
And you'll hear a tale
A tale of a fateful trip,
That started from this tropic port,
Aboard this tiny ship.
The mate was a mighty sailin' man,
The Skipper brave and sure, "

I've done the SE Asia thing. Every woman wants to marry ya, and everyone else only wants to rip you off. Oh, and when you live in one place for a while, everyone knows who you are, so you gotta watch your back coz someone will be scheming a nasty surprise eg kidnap for ransom.

Then there's the bugs over there that will keep you near a toilet for over a week, earthquakes. Storms like you will never believe.

Rubbish. There's 10's of thousands of Aussies living happily in SE Asia without fear of being kidnapped. And every country has bugs that will harm you, jeez we can't talk, not only will some of our animals send you to a toilet, they'll kill you! I'm surprised that someone who has "done the SE Asia thing" would make a comment like that, it's a fantastic place to visit. People go there because it's different, if that's not for you then stay at home.

like the indians that are scared of all the racist indian killings a few years ago ????? that ended up being perpetrated mostly by fellow indians

Not sure the relevance of this statement and not sure if it is even true or not.

My point was that murders happen in every country.

Rubbish. There's 10's of thousands of Aussies living happily in SE Asia without fear of being kidnapped. And every country has bugs that will harm you, jeez we can't talk, not only will some of our animals send you to a toilet, they'll kill you! I'm surprised that someone who has "done the SE Asia thing" would make a comment like that, it's a fantastic place to visit. People go there because it's different, if that's not for you then stay at home.

yeah, yeah OK you win.

but remember a holiday is not like living there !

I know Thai people that are scared about the alcohol induced one punch killings in Australia.

Violence involving drinking just doesn't happen in Thailand compared to the scale it does in Australia. In Australia it is almost a national sport.

My only concern is dengue fever. That will put you in hospital. Although at least in the north of Thailand mossies only come out for about an hour around sunset. Common sense and spray can minimize that risk.

If you have top level health insurance you will get good treatment. In a few months of traveling the most I have had is one night of food poisoning. That was a seafood place which in hindsight wasn't the beat place. Street vendors are fine as long as they have a good turnover.

I understand why people are concerned, though, it's usually people who rarely leave the bubble of their day to day life.

It is interesting going to Thailand after a month of mining. One minute you are subjected to constant safety rules, the next it is up to you what risks you can take with all the consequences that involves.

The annual Global Retirement Index 2014 from http://internationalliving.com/ cites the below as it's top 10 ( I thought Croatia may have got a mention).

1. Thailand
  2. Uruguay
  3. Malta
  4. Mexico
  5. Colombia
  6. Spain
  7. Costa Rica
  8. Malaysia
  9. Ecuador
  10. Panama
I'd be happy to spend a few months in a year in any of the S E Asia or Latin America countries- although not all places in those countries. Spain would be good, I know nothing of Malta.

I wouldn't live in Mexico City, although it's a fascinating place to visit. The pollution can get a bit much. And I'd prefer a smaller city. Some of the places in the north of the country have become very violent.

Colombia is one of the better off countries in Latin America. Medellin in particular has become quite a vibrant place from all reports. It's shaken off the bad name and the violence from the time when Pablo Escobar controlled all the cocaine coming out or Colombia. Both my daughters loved Colombia in general, and Medellin in particular. Both tried to stay longer but it didn't work out. Because it's a higher altitude, the climate is very good- generally always between 20 and 30. They call it the city of eternal spring. (Pablo Escobar's brother, who was once a "most wanted" man, makes a living having photographs with tourists).

Colombia is more expensive though than some of the other countries.

You can get intensive Spanish language programs, at any level, in some of those countries- 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, and get board with a local family, for around $200pw. That's lessons, accomodation, and morning/evening meals.

Geoff - you mention colombia and have some obvious latin american experience. What do you think of colombia vs some of the others, say chile or peru, in terms of political / economic stability, cost of living, ease of entry, healthcare/taxation agreements, etc

Retire

Hiya

I would not retire fully overseas as my children will be working and living in Australia...but i envisage spending 4-6 months travelling, volunteering and semi-retiring in South East Asia...

I do have the luxury of accomodation in Singapore though:p which i will use as a base for the region....

Funny how people view Australia as nirvana...i migrated here only because of hubby's job...my brother could have migrated thru family ties but would not even consider it....too boring...too slow compared to what's happening in Asia at this moment....truly, unless you have spent considerable time living in another country,short "touristy" trips is not enough to give a fair judgement....:eek:

Violence involving drinking just doesn't happen in Thailand compared to the scale it does in Australia. In Australia it is almost a national sport.

Can you provide links to this? My understanding is that Thailand has a huge problem around alcohol related violence, especially domestic violence.

Back