places to retire cheaply

My SIL and her husband currently live in Ubud (Bali), and have been for over a year now.

They absolutely love it, have built a house as well (which they are trying to sell), they have had no issues (so far) with any violence etc, and they find it is very cheap to live there.

Awesome news mate, have a great trip and stay safe.

My ex gf was raised there and she said it's super expensive because everything is shipped from the mainland. She also said there's nothing to do so everyone gets drunk and partakes in promiscuous behavior like playing games where your keys are thrown in a bowl.

Umm eeek :)
I imagine things are more expensive due to shipping but they pay no GST and no tax - surely it might even out?
Get some chooks, grow some veggies...... ok now that I'm a hippy the key bowl might just be appealing.

I skimmed over this thread and noticed a few books mentioned, not sure of this one has been mentioned already. I read one a couple of months ago called Web Work Travel, written for online solo entrepreneurs to find cheap destinations whilst they run their location independent ventures. Plenty of ideas in there for people intending to retire early as well, most places you could get by on $1,000/month. There's also a Facebook group by the same name if you want to connect with people who have done it/looking to do it asap.

interesting thread. some of the generalisations are hilarious if not ignorant. much of this comes down to personal choice, life experience and passive earning capacity.

I've lived and worked in many countries including China. The isolation and disconnection from family/friends and your own culture can be very unsettling when away from home long term. This can be under appreciated.

I could never live in one place and need to keep moving. We'll have a base in sydney and one in europe and share our time between the continents but it will be first world living. we could do it now, but I'm always after that bit more :eek:

Hi Geoff

Turned on the TV and caught the last piece of this book on Studio Ten.
The authors are journalists and live in Byron Bay

The book looks like another interesting read though

article-2734461-20D6071700000578-524_634x765.jpg

There's also a piece on the book here, interesting comments after the story

Sick of being ripped off in Australia? Here are FIVE STEPS you need to move to Southeast Asia - and cut your living costs by 80 per cent

The book is very good on a lot of practical aspects of living in other countries- for those countries covered. Bali does well on cost of living- but Malaysia and Thailand do very well for the standard of health care; Malaysia has the best retirement visa requirements.

Some of the people covered could only have retired to a caravan park up the coast in Australia but were able to live quite comfortably in Asia.

Did you hear them talk about the couple who could not afford to retire in Australia, so they moved to Ubud, where they built a beautiful home with an inground swimming pool for $60,000? That's amazing. And the food is so cheap, retirees can eat out every night. They can also employ full time staff.

Did you hear them talk about the couple who could not afford to retire in Australia, so they moved to Ubud, where they built a beautiful home with an inground swimming pool for $60,000? That's amazing. And the food is so cheap, retirees can eat out every night. They can also employ full time staff.

And could probably run a B&B for visiting Aussies :D

Retirement visas in Indonesia require you to employ an Indonesian maid. That's $100 per month out of your budget.

I wonder if jobs outsourced overseas and increasing overseas retirement may start to lead to an eventual increase in cost of living in those countries, reducing their attractiveness in the longer term.

Retirement visas in Indonesia require you to employ an Indonesian maid. That's $100 per month out of your budget.

I wonder if jobs outsourced overseas and increasing overseas retirement may start to lead to an eventual increase in cost of living in those countries, reducing their attractiveness in the longer term.

We are all part of the global village :D

Made in Japan, Then, Made in China, Then, Made in Vietnam, Then...

I think I posted previously about some FIFO workers who worked back to back and then shared a place in Bali with a maid/cook and gardener..there was always one person at home whilst the other room was locked

I've met a few people now taking up residence in Malaysia, The Philippines or Indonesia, either for retirement, or lifestyle

Funny you should mention that Geoffw, I was checking luxury serviced homes in Bali for a holiday with my children. Goodness, not cheap at all.

Back