places to retire cheaply

I always ask how much people earn when they are not working......and how much they will earn if they do not work for 5 years.....
Plenty of people with "assets" that produce little to no worthwhile cashflow.....poor millionaires!

You cannot eat dirt.....:)

Agreed but what does that have to do with my post?

I'd also argue most people would find themselves going backwards if they didn't work for 5 years.

Most, but certainly not all, SS members are on high incomes. With high incomes you have high expectations and high expenses. You have the private schooling of the kids, the expensive PPOR, the luxury accommodation when on holidays, the lavish dinners, the new cars, the expensive IP's, the lower yields, the large tax right offs etc.

Lifestyle inflation is the killer here. Fortunately, it is not compulsory to follow this usual recipe as a high income earner. Instead, as I did, you can live modestly and invest this increased difference, making the journey to financial independence a short one. The book 'The Millionaire Next Door' is worth a read to illustrate this point.

The World?s 9 Most Affordable Places to Retire

One of the greatest advantages of retiring overseas can be a dramatically reduced cost of living. Indeed, if your retirement budget is modest, your best options for enjoying a rich, full, comfortable retirement are not, I would argue, to be found in the U.S. ? but elsewhere.

If your nest egg is small, but you don?t want to give up on the retirement lifestyle you?ve spent your entire working life dreaming about (who does?), here are nine places worth a close look.

You are sorely misinformed.....every year 2m people apply for permanent residency. Out of this only about 180k are accepted mostly under skilled visas. They usually bring a lot of money with them and have not access to services for over 2 years. By the way the current immigration system favours people under 40...so they will have paid tax for at least 25 years on good salaries.

By they way Australia only takes 14k refugees...and yes the government is making harder for overseas people to get the aged pension..if they are from a reciprocal country they will get less.

And I agree about the paying of pension overseas. There are a lot of bludgers who shouldn't be paid. They may have come from another country later in life, live in Australia for 5 years get citizenship and then leave back to their country to retire cheap. So you have to expect the pension could be cut out for overseas residents at some point.

You are sorely misinformed.....every year 2m people apply for permanent residency. Out of this only about 180k are accepted mostly under skilled visas. They usually bring a lot of money with them and have not access to services for over 2 years. By the way the current immigration system favours people under 40...so they will have paid tax for at least 25 years on good salaries.

By they way Australia only takes 14k refugees...and yes the government is making harder for overseas people to get the aged pension..if they are from a reciprocal country they will get less.

Nice post, but not sure how it relates to my post.;)

You indicated that a lot of people from other people from other countries seem to qualify for pensions?

On what basis or information are you basing this on.....being a solicitor..I would have though working with the facts would be second nature. ;)

Nice post, but not sure how it relates to my post.;)

I think there are some parts of the United States such as Florida which may be a comparatively cheap and reasonable place to retire to compared to Sydney or Melbourne. Good weather, cheaper housing, food, comparable legal systems and health care.

Yes, friends from Poland have bought properties there, in Miami....:)

Just returned from a stint in Asia, Cambodia was appealing to us but the places we like (anything with land) have no power. Even 5 minutes out of town they don't run it. Siem Reip that is. Near the hundreds of ancient temples like Angkor Wat. Phnom Penh is very city like and we didn't love it there. I also get the feeling some locals would despise your wealth and could be dangerous for you living alone out there.

I think retiring overseas would best be done as you feel. There's so much to see and do you'd be silly to buy a plot and hang around. As always, try before you buy

I could pretty well live in any of the 8 countries we visited but most so populated we'd have to try and find a quiet spot. Looooved the people and as a matter of fact it made us see our country, in all it's wealth are in general a bunch of frustrated working class with a misbalance of core value. When riding through the brilliant country side of Cambodia, or ushered on paddleboat through the canals of the Meekong river seeing the Families beaming with happiness I said to my Wife "We've got it all wrong" There was a magic we'd never experienced in Australia before. People were at peace. Happy in the true sense of the word. Nature was everywhere. I mean I'd never seen anything like it. An abundance of nature coexisting with one another

We go back soon and this time to different areas and we don't book any return flights so travel as we feel. Can barely wait!
To give you a better idea, we felt alien and sad the first morning waking at home. I say you go to Asia to become 'concious'. To wake up. You'll never be the same again. What a magical experience and I'm blessed to have had the experience

When riding through the brilliant country side of Cambodia, or ushered on paddleboat through the canals of the Meekong river seeing the Families beaming with happiness I said to my Wife "We've got it all wrong" There was a magic we'd never experienced in Australia before. People were at peace. Happy in the true sense of the word. Nature was everywhere.
Except beneath those beaming faces is the grim realisation that if you're sick you can't afford healthcare, or if it floods you lose your livelihood because there's no adequate infrastructure and emergency services is non-existent, or the fact your food is probably contaminated and you can't afford the fancy Aussie-grown food on your labourer's salary.

Sorry to sound so cynical...but that's often the reality. When we go to those countries, we don't see the problems because we're in a position of privilege. There's a reason why people from those countries try so hard to come to Australia!

Except beneath those beaming faces is the grim realisation that if you're sick you can't afford healthcare, or if it floods you lose your livelihood because there's no adequate infrastructure and emergency services is non-existent, or the fact your food is probably contaminated and you can't afford the fancy Aussie-grown food on your labourer's salary.

Sorry to sound so cynical...but that's often the reality. When we go to those countries, we don't see the problems because we're in a position of privilege. There's a reason why people from those countries try so hard to come to Australia!

Yep, good post. The smiling peasants will work their arses off just to get by, living hand to mouth. They get crook and there is no help. Rule of law is bought. Social mobility is non existent. Meanwhile, we with the safety net and the capital provided by the evil capitalist system get to make choices of how and were we will live our lives. And we romanticise the peasant life as perhaps a means to assuage our collective guilt.

From the http://internationalliving.com website.
The World?s Best Places to Retire in 2015

Index.jpg

I'd take the list with a grain of salt. IL were actively promoting a seminar in Ecuador (or about Ecuador?) at the time.

Belize ranked nearly as highly as Ecuador for Health care. While it is extremely cheap by our standards, the word on the ground is that they are unlikely to perform complex operations. A hand might get amputated rather than reconstructed.

A lot depends on where in that country. I couldn't live in many parts of Mexico, Panama, Guatemala or Belize for instance. Mexico has many dangerous places. I couldn't live in Mexico City for anything. Panama has some nice places to live, but many places don't suit my dislike for a hot humid climate. I found many places depressing for the low building standards and evident poverty, although I was more accustomed on the second visit.

Medellin has ticked a lot of boxes. Apparently Cuenca in Ecuador is good- it has a character which Medellin does not have. Medellin is a modern rather than a colonial city.

Back