Planning permit

Do compnies such as Metricon deal with the council permit process and any other issues that come up? Such as easements, covenants ect?

It depends of the company as some would rather not do it (they sometimes suggest the client gets someone else to manage the process). Also, they may not be very proactive with chasing up the Council if they don't have someone dedicated to that job, so worth asking what their process is if they do want to offer that service.

It depends of the company as some would rather not do it (they sometimes suggest the client gets someone else to manage the process). Also, they may not be very proactive with chasing up the Council if they don't have someone dedicated to that job, so worth asking what their process is if they do want to offer that service.

Yeah that's fair enough, has anybody built with Metricon Andy now how far there service extends?

I have heard of them offering this service, however they would charge for it and charge for any changes (required by council to get approval) even if it meant less work. Then, your stuck with their trades, design and specifications.

Also, I am sure they will throw any timing promise out the window when they have to be involved with council communications.

I believe your money is best spent going through a different type of builder than the spec homes. Even go to an architect yourself, and then source a builder to build it based on the plans you get approved...

I have heard of them offering this service, however they would charge for it and charge for any changes (required by council to get approval) even if it meant less work. Then, your stuck with their trades, design and specifications.

Also, I am sure they will throw any timing promise out the window when they have to be involved with council communications.

I believe your money is best spent going through a different type of builder than the spec homes. Even go to an architect yourself, and then source a builder to build it based on the plans you get approved...

That's what I was thinking, not being a builder though it's pretty alluring paying one company to deal with the process from council to keys

Just be careful with the above comment in regards to the architect as you might go to one and tell them your build budget is $350k, you pay your $10k to get it drawn up, take it to a builder only to be told in actually fact it will cost you $500k to build.

You then either have to start all over again or somehow come up with the extra coin. This will increase holding costs, may effect you strategy if its for investment so just keep that in mind.

Id be looking for a builder that does custom builds, has a draftman and has experience with town planning.

Just be careful with the above comment in regards to the architect as you might go to one and tell them your build budget is $350k, you pay your $10k to get it drawn up, take it to a builder only to be told in actually fact it will cost you $500k to build.

You then either have to start all over again or somehow come up with the extra coin. This will increase holding costs, may effect you strategy if its for investment so just keep that in mind.

Id be looking for a builder that does custom builds, has a draftman and has experience with town planning.

Hence the reasoning for picking a spec builder to handle all the nitty gritty council stuff from permits to dispensation to drafts all the way through to the build

Back