Plans

Howdy

Given the below floor plan what would you do.
The area is relatively upmarket for the suburb.
The idea is renovate to increase rent/rentability, the Market rent Median is $385 wk for 3 bed and $440 wk for 4 bed.
Kitchen/Bathroom require work, but are in rent able condition.
If this were a Unit I would automatically convert rumpus room into bedroom for quick equity, but feel this may not be quite right for the situation.
Oh and I've only allocated 20K for this project and 1 Month(possible early access tho)

Cheers

Attachments

• original plans.pdf
    676 KB · Views: 115
Hi Zimby,
You have a couple of options and without knowing a bit more i can give you an idea of what i would do.
There is no doubt that converting the rumpus room into a 4th bedroom would be your most economical way of adding value. By the look of the plan the so called rumpus room is probably being used more like a meals/ family area as the kitchen breakfast type bench faces it which is adjacent to a sliding door that goes outside. Still converting this room and swapping around the kitchen so it opens out to the dining room would provide the quickest and cheapest alteration.

You could also consider doing the opposite and convert the dining room into a 4th bedroom. It would be on the smallish size but as the rumpus room is kind of lends itself to a more meals/ family room, loosing the dining room won't make a huge difference to the overall floor plan. Also, consider most new home designs don't even include a dining room. Lounge, meals/ family rooms are the norm. The only real problem with this idea is that this bedroom would be further away from the other bedrooms and bathroom. But if you nominated it as a study/ 4th bedroom then you leave it up to your tenants to decide what they do with it.
The other option id suggest is to go up and build in the centre area of the house, over the existing bedrooms.

A part from that and with out knowing how much land you could extend on to your "practicable" options are limited.
Hope this helps.

Hi Zimby,
You have a couple of options and without knowing a bit more i can give you an idea of what i would do.
There is no doubt that converting the rumpus room into a 4th bedroom would be your most economical way of adding value. By the look of the plan the so called rumpus room is probably being used more like a meals/ family area as the kitchen breakfast type bench faces it which is adjacent to a sliding door that goes outside. Still converting this room and swapping around the kitchen so it opens out to the dining room would provide the quickest and cheapest alteration.

You could also consider doing the opposite and convert the dining room into a 4th bedroom. It would be on the smallish size but as the rumpus room is kind of lends itself to a more meals/ family room, loosing the dining room won't make a huge difference to the overall floor plan. Also, consider most new home designs don't even include a dining room. Lounge, meals/ family rooms are the norm. The only real problem with this idea is that this bedroom would be further away from the other bedrooms and bathroom. But if you nominated it as a study/ 4th bedroom then you leave it up to your tenants to decide what they do with it.
The other option id suggest is to go up and build in the centre area of the house, over the existing bedrooms.

A part from that and with out knowing how much land you could extend on to your "practicable" options are limited.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Steve, Some good idea's :)
Hard to get my head around that this house is the same size as one of our units.

Spades honestly can't tell if your being sarcastic, I'm going with yes on this one, they need to build you a sarcasm icon.
Still 5 bedrooms, would be interesting

The Norm in the area is 4 x 2, converting the laundry into a second bathroom would be good, but might be a bit tight, will take my builder through soon and get his thoughts.

I agree that converting the laundry to a second bathroom is probably a good option, depending on expense. I grew up in a 6 person family with a similar floorplan, but without the rumpus (we had a big backyard though). My parents converted the dining into a study, and then into a study/bedroom, and then built a big enough house for 4 boys, after which we all moved out haha!

Here is an option for an 'Ensuite'. Add a pergola if more common area is needed.

Attachments

• anOption.png
    anOption.png
    279 KB · Views: 58
It doesn't make sense to go 4 x 1... unless it is a student accommodation. I think 2 toilets are important for any more than 2 bedder.

Creating an En-suite may make it more family friendly. It won't look odd either.

Some people don't like door opening into the family area. If that is the case then you can swap the room door & robe.

Wonder if I can do a bathroom + extra room for under 20K.
The other option is to redo kitchen + remove carpet( through all the dining rooms) and tile.

Back