Plumber's quote $4000 + to relocate water supply

Hi all,

Wondering if anybody has had plumbing quote to relocate a laundry that we might be able to compare to.
We are planning to move laundry to end of the kitchen area.

The easiest way is seems, requires us to run a water line from kitchen sink up into ceiling and across the room and down the wall to washing machine and tub. (about 11m)

The waste needs to come back to meet the exisiting sink's waste.
The floor is concrete slab and we are getting the concrete cutter in to cut the floor ready for the plumber to install the waste pipe into.(this length is about 6m)

The wall structure will be exposed and ready for the plumber and we will do our own patching up and fixing up the concrete when all is done.

His quote was $4000 to $4500.

Seems a bit high...any feedback would be appreciated
Cheers
PJ

I would think I would leave it where it is rather then cut into the house slab to the extent nominated.

Can this be done from the outside? would the new laundry have an outside wall where the waste plumbing could be rerouted to rather than through the house.

If you proceed on your current plan then the $4k+ is only the start as there will be substantial restoration expenses incurred.

Cheers

ps a plan could be helpful

The wall structure will be exposed and ready for the plumber and we will do our own patching up and fixing up the concrete when all is done.

His quote was $4000 to $4500.

Seems a bit high...any feedback would be appreciated
Cheers
PJ
IF you can post a few pic's and the plumbing paln i may be able to give you a better idea,but i know what the materials cost would be, so yes this quote is high but it just depends on the layout-time factor..willair..

Handyandy, Willair,
Thank you for your responses.

Drawings attached. Original and the proposed changes.

Some background.
The house is 30 year old original B & T and was going to be demolished, so has been let run down. We have da approval for duplex build. However building costs have blown out so far, it is not worth doing. So have decided to hold on to the property, bring house up to spec, so it is more comfortable to live in , use the increased value and increased equity to get into another property and start our property portfolio off from another angle. We would rent this house out while we take on the next project.

We are considering adding a bathroom. Which we can do relatively easily (we thought) by changing existing bathroom into ensuite. Turning existing laundry into second bathroom, moving laundry into kitchen. Rearrange kitchen fit new bench and appliances. Then new floor coverings through out, add garage/carport to front of house. Maybe rendering, generally open up the house to outside areas better, (windows to doors) replace gutters etc .

We have been doing costings and would expect this reno to cost somewhere around $55,000. The added value we estimate would bring the property up by around $100,000.plus. A lot of this work we can do ourselves.

The plumbing job we had split up into 3 stages and has come in at around $10,000 all up. The part I posted to the forum at $4000. was just 1 of the 3 parts. This quote has shocked us a bit. Hope this all makes sense.

Cheers…..

Attachments

• Original & proposed (1).pdf
    40.6 KB · Views: 219
Hi PJ,

Those plumbers sure know how to charge.

Just interested, what do you think will contribute most to the $100k extra value created by the renovation?

It seems like a great result if you can get it, as there is minimal structural alteration done, looking at the plans.

Good luck.

To run a waste from from the new laundry section to the kitchen, even if chased into the floor means you will have to excavate around the existing waste in the kitchen bench, and connect the pipework in the slab.

Water seems to be quite easy, run a pipe from the roof down the wall and a w/m / tub laundry tap combo.

The biggest cost I see is running the waste, to connect to the existing pipework, may mean taking the kitchen apart.

$4k worth of work? I don't think so, you could find someone to do it for $1500 if all you need is the pipework ran. Fit out maybe an extra $500 . .

Hi Black Spider

We think .... giving house street appeal, adding 2nd bathrooom, modernising and upgrading kitchen, bathrooms and general presentaion.
Basically, uplifting the property from being just land value to giving the house some value too.

Cheers...
PJ

Hi

Have had someone in with a camera checking on where the pipes are located, and we can pick up the waste pipe a metre or so out from the sink and run 90 degree from it over to the WM and Tub.

Your costing estimate seems closer to our thoughts on it all.

thanks
pj

Hi

Have had someone in with a camera checking on where the pipes are located, and we can pick up the waste pipe a metre or so out from the sink and run 90 degree from it over to the WM and Tub.

Your costing estimate seems closer to our thoughts on it all.

thanks
pj

Ok well this job is quite easy then, waste will take maybe half an hour to run, if the floor is all chopped up ready to go.

I would definitely get a second opinion from a local plumber up there as I think you can get it done much much cheaper

One way to avoid ripoff is to ask the plumber to break down the cost into parts & labor & time, rather than one big $$ figure from thin air, then get another few quotes. Some people will take the first quote they receive and that's when they get ripped off. I had a tiler quoted me almost $2000 to re-tile the wall around the bath ( 3 or 4 tiles high ) !

Goodness me, that quote sounds absolutely evil! We are doing a major reno/rebuild where possible having contractors work for an hourly rate (plus materials). So far this appears to be a favourable course of action as the workers are happy and we get exactly what we pay for - if it takes longer, it costs more. Do you know anyone who could recomend an honest plumber in your area?

Louise

Hi Louise & Oasis1frog

Have a couple of more requests out for quotes so will have better idea of what is going on when they get back to us. Very hard to get quick responses from tradies around here....I guess they are all busy.
We had prefered a quote for the job or at least a very close estimate as have been caught a few times on jobs that string out. Especially like pumbing.

Cheers
PJ

Back