Converting a kitchen into a bedroom in apt

Ok. I have often thought about this but it's an idea which has remained j my head with little real life investigation :)

In a number of apartments built around the 60s the kitchens are often closed off from living areas and quite large. I want to investigate whether it would be at all possible to convert the kitchen to a bedroom (basically rip out everything in it) and then put a small inline kitchen in the living room on the other side of the wall from let's say a bathroom/laundry so I can run a sink waste pipe through to it and pipe in water for taps. I would make a kitchen that didn't need gas.

Am I completely bonkers?

To me it seems like an awesome idea to add value. Of course I'm not a plumber and have no idea if my idea is even sound. I've been reading WA Body Corp laws and struggling to figure out A from B.

I have found one such 75sqm 2 bedroom apartment. The kitchen is 2.7 x 3 so would make a good size bedroom. The living room has a wall that borders a laundry bathroom combo where there is washing machine taps, trough waste pipe etc on the other side of the wall. There is also a plumbing conduit in this room.

Thoughts?

Have you also considered turning the bathroom into another small bedroom or study?
Along with the kitchen in the living room, you could also move the shower and toilet there too, open plan style, no need for a vanity, as you already have the kitchen sink, just need a mirror.
It's been done before, there was a popular post about it quite recently.

Nathan Birch did that in one of his units. The room was pretty tiny and of course the loungeroom was not real big after putting a kitchen in it.
So doable. Not sure whether body corp would approve it.

Have you also considered turning the bathroom into another small bedroom or study?
Along with the kitchen in the living room, you could also move the shower and toilet there too, open plan style, no need for a vanity, as you already have the kitchen sink, just need a mirror.
It's been done before, there was a popular post about it quite recently.

I thought about putting bunks in the bathroom but this isn't Sydney :p

i've done this before in an apartment i ripped the kitchen and moved it around 5 meter towards the living room and made a study in the space.

you would obviously need owners corporation or body corp approval.

The thing to look out is how are you going to run your water and waste pipes it needs to be run along the walls as well as working out where main stack is located.

it is doable but can be an expensive exercise - plumbing costs as well as a new kitchen.

Ok. I have often thought about this but it's an idea which has remained j my head with little real life investigation :)

In a number of apartments built around the 60s the kitchens are often closed off from living areas and quite large. I want to investigate whether it would be at all possible to convert the kitchen to a bedroom (basically rip out everything in it) and then put a small inline kitchen in the living room on the other side of the wall from let's say a bathroom/laundry so I can run a sink waste pipe through to it and pipe in water for taps. I would make a kitchen that didn't need gas.

Am I completely bonkers?

To me it seems like an awesome idea to add value. Of course I'm not a plumber and have no idea if my idea is even sound. I've been reading WA Body Corp laws and struggling to figure out A from B.

I have found one such 75sqm 2 bedroom apartment. The kitchen is 2.7 x 3 so would make a good size bedroom. The living room has a wall that borders a laundry bathroom combo where there is washing machine taps, trough waste pipe etc on the other side of the wall. There is also a plumbing conduit in this room.

Thoughts?

Why not put in an offer subject to planning and body corp permission for what you propose.

If you are just flipping the kitchen directly behind the current position, I would think it would be too expensive, as basically you are not moving any plumbing, just sort of extending it. Get a plumber out for an inspection and get a quote ( then double it as a contingency :) )

Back