Plumbing problem

Hi all,

We own an IP in a mining town where tradies tend to blow simple things into major problems. Unless I've just been unlucky.

Our house is only 5 years old and at the end of last year a plumber changed the entire toilet and pan because of a 'blockage' but wouldn't elaborate on the problem. Just received a $450 bill with no explanation for work we didn't authorise. No 6 months later the same toilet will only half flush and not full flush. My agent sent the same plumber out to assess the problem and he came back saying he will need to cut through the concrete to unblock it but 'it wouldn't cost much'.... I asked for a ballpark figure and the agent came back saying he is now saying we won't get change for $1000. Which is ALOT to us. Does this sound fair & reasonable? If the block is so bad why does the half flush work ok? And the other toilet in ensure works perfectly fine.

Any ideas on what I can ask or if anyone has had to cut through concrete for something like this before? I am clueless when it comes to what questions to ask when something doesn't sound right. Living 600kms away from the property makes it difficult also.

Thanks for your help

M

What a load of rubbish, there is no way you need to cut through a concrete slab to fix a half flush. You are being taken for a ride and definitely get another plumber

Um, the flush mechanism is in the tank on the wall.....

Unless a toilet is physically damaged you should not have to replace it. The parts in the tank are all replaceable unless you have some weird brand.
At absolute worse case a tenant jammed a full toilet roll or the family cat down into the S-bend you might have to remove the toilet to unblock it. It could then crack while breaking free from cement on floor. In that sort of scenario it would be the tenants responsibility to pay and most of the time clearable without going to that extreme.

As an owner of a company of tradesman you are being played.

If it is not a parts issue as highlighted below then my advice is to invest in a quick scope of the system. Any decent plumber will do this for a small amount. That way you will know for certain if you have a blockage.

It is not unusual to find broken brick work, collapsed drains etc from poor workmanship.

Regards

ScottyB

Any ideas on what I can ask or if anyone has had to cut through concrete for something like this before? I am clueless when it comes to what questions to ask when something doesn't sound right. Living 600kms away from the property makes it difficult also.

It's not normal but it does happen,and plus this may never been set-up from the start in the legal pipe layout,,all i would be asking the plumber too do first is have them strip up the flush set-up on the top and reinstall a new one ,,some of the cheap ones don't last six months where some made in the US-Germany-British they still make the high ewnd gear that lasts 10 years plus ,what i find strange is if it it's only half flush then it may be something broken in the top of the system..imho..

Just trying to look at this slightly differently.

Maybe the problem is the sewer is block by building rubble / tree roots ( or what ever)

Plumber went out originally and removed the pan to gain access to the sewer pipe. Broke the pan etc and replaced pan and cistern with new set. Also he used electric eel and only partially unblocked sewer. didn't actually fix the blocked sewer problem in the long term.

Move on six months. Block has reoccurred as slow run. Tenant can only use half flush which is backing up and then slowly draining. If tenant uses full flush sees way more water and panics thus reports can only half flush.

Plumber now realises that the block has still not moved and will have to remove toilet again to actually use a scope and see what blocking the sewer.

You will keep paying because both the plumber and RE are incompetent.:(

Cheers

second quote

Forget the past, I feel the plumber may not have done a good job previously but you don't want to make the same mistake twice.

There is nothing stopping you from getting a second quote. Request this from your property manager- they can make recommendations but if you ask for a second quote from a different company they should be able to arrange that. i am sure it wouldn't be that hard to get a hold of a second plumber

I don't get it, if they press the full flush does nothing happen or does it overflow?

If it overflows its blocked, if it doesn't it's the levers in the back that are faulty or fallen off.

Back