PM and rental viewing

We have 2 IP's with a PM. One IP has been vacant for 6 weeks and we're told not a lot of interest. Rent was dropped but still no interest.

We have had an approach by someone we do business with who has a rellie looking for a place, but they have no rental history (long but legit story).

We told them to tell the rellie to get the key off the PM to look thru the place, but they have now come back and said the PM said No, they will have to wait til the next viewing in a couple of weeks time.

Should we go behind the PM's back and let them view the place privately? We have to get the key anyway to do a handyman fix in the place, so wouldn't be hard to arrange a private walk-thru.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm starting to wonder about the PM. I've looked on the Net and they have our IP listed as Available Now with no mention of a viewing date.

So if the next date is 2 weeks away but someone is interested now, are they not supposed to facilitate viewing? How do others find this 'rental viewing' process working out?

If there was lots of interest I could understand them only do scheduled viewings.
And how will they react if they get an application supposedly sight-unseen?

Last edited:
2 weeks in between inspections / viewing? No wonder your place remains unrented. I would demand they hold a minimum of one inspection a week if not two. A weekday one and a weekend.

As someone already mentioned, it's your property, don't let the PM dictate how and when someone can inspect the property. You are the one paying the mortgage after all.

they will have to wait til the next viewing in a couple of weeks time.

I would get a friend to make the call and confirm that they get same response.
If they did I certainly would be looking for a new agent. No tenant is going to wait 2 weeks for a viewing.
If someone makes a inquiry they should arrange one within a few days..
At the same time can't expect the agent to run out to it multiple times in one day as people call up.

2 weeks wait no thanks...

I don't like to wait that long when looking at buying an IP

Let alone trying to live somewhere.

As mentioned above, maybe 6weeks vacant has a bit to do with lazy PM.

2 weeks to view a vacant property is unacceptable; as someone above suggested get a friend to call and verify the story and if true find anoth agent asap

My office always does two a week, and if it's been taking longer than usual to rent out we'll do inspections by appointment as well. You should start interviewing other property managers right away. If the property manager is a junior property officer and not a senior manager, tryspeaking to the principal of the agency, they might not realise that your contact is acting this way.

Tell the PM that you will agree to waiting 2 weeks for the inspection to show the potential tenant, so long as they reimburse you the 2 weeks mortgage

Oh my goodness, two weeks between viewings!

I would encourage your PM to conduct viewings by appointment and to try to hold at least one Open for Inspection per week.

It should be a priority to secure a tenant fairly quickly and they should be doing whatever they can to facilitate this.

All of the best.

Seen this caper before by slack REA's, who'd want them to manage a property?!!.
Just show YOUR prospect through YOUR property and if you approve of them as a tenant, then INSTRUCT the REA to sign them up immediately.
If you don't approve this prospect, then request the REA to have showings twice weekly or anytime on demand by quality or qualified prospects, or tell the REA to give up the management and find another REA.
This one is definitely not acting in the best interests of the property owner which is in breach of their code of ethics and licensing.
Good luck
cheers
crest133

Just letting you know what happened. I went in on the Monday and the office manager said they had 1 applicant over the weekend (the 1 we knew about) and that if there was only 1 or 2 they'd arrange a mutally agreeable time. If there had been more, they would just set a date/time and give them all notice. They would let the PM know.

I had to drop paperwork off to the office on the Thursday and asked how it went - they all looked a bit vague, didn't know.

I called my PM later who was a bit tongue tied and said they now have this new system, the PMs are all responsible for their own properties for all tasks EXCEPT re-leasing. They now have a dedicated re-leasing agent who deals with all sign-ups. I told her what had happened, she stumbled over her words and said she'd keep a close eye on it.

The original applicant dropped out of the picture (family matters, I was told).

A few days later they had 1 more applicant, and they expedited assessment and got him in ASAP. He seems to be working out very well.

I think the 'dedicated' re-leasing agent might be more dedicated now.

A few days later they had 1 more applicant, and they expedited assessment and got him in ASAP. He seems to be working out very well.

I think the 'dedicated' re-leasing agent might be more dedicated now.
I'm glad it worked out (or at least seems to be working out). The service prior seemed way below average to me.

Back