PM sent rent to wrong person

Recently purchased a property and at settlement property manager notified, however their office sent rent for next 3 weeks to outgoing vendor. As it was their admin. mistake I believe they should repatriate the money to me immediately and chase the vendor for return of the wrongly paid monies. This property is in WA. Am I correct? They say they are still chasing the vendor for return of monies overpaid and cannot credit me with it yet, however it is now two months later and I have told them to fix it - it is their internal accounting bungle not my problem. What is the next step - complaint to the Real Estate Inst. WA!! :(

I had this happen to me too. Fortunately, I have several IP's with the same PM. They agreed to waive all rent commissions until the amount had been covered. Could you negotiate something along those lines?

When this happened to me, it was my solicitor's fault for not notifying properly. They made good.

But in your case, PM was notified. I would have assumed that it is their fault.

HOWEVER it would not be worth anything to chase after the shortfall legally.

BTW-
This property is in WA. Am I correct?
Well, I assume you are correct. Unless the property is elsewhere :)

We seem to spend half our lives trying to fix other people's mistakes. I dont feel I should have to negotiate anything with the PM - they stuffed up and should rectify at their cost. Agree it is not worth legal wrangle, however their conduct is negligent and unprofessional and in any other "profession" would not be tolerated, but then again this is real estate!!.

Advise the PM you will be filing a formal complaint with REBA.
If they are smart they will respond appropriately, if they are dumb they will end up with a please explain to REBA.
REBA has teeth, they risk losing their licence and copping a fine.

GIve them the opportunity to make good, otherwise speak to REBA for an opinion first, and then file formal complaint

kph

The agent should pay your funds to you immediately out of their pocket.

THEN they can chase the outgoing vendor to their heart's content.

asy :D

GeoffW
I did mention I had made "legal" enquiries and the liability rested with them and that seemed to do the trick. I also wrote a letter setting out the obligations and consequences and was ready to fax it when I got the SMS message so did not send the letter, but I have found this worked well in the past - I mean by this writing your frustrations, being proactive about a situation and then a result often arrives without the need to actually carry through with any more effort on my part. I will be doing this more often rather than waiting for someone else to refticy problems.;)

Back