Politicians ... just ... why ... ?

Topcropper, please be fair to property girl. She has not made one mention of 'Muslims' in her posts. She is merely referring to the Scandinavian countries - Norway, Denmark, Finland, Sweden. I have been to Denmark and Sweden, their economic, health, welfare and social models are truly world-class. Pax Vobiscum!

I agree, we really should follow some of Norway, Sweden and Finland's policies - none of the Scandinavian countries have a regulated national minimum wage for starters. :)

Last edited:
I agree, we really should follow some of Norway, Sweden and Finland's policies - none of the Scandinavian countries have a regulated national minimum wage for starters. :)

Some of those also have compulsory military service which I'm a fan of.

one day you may be in one of those 'self-interest' groups or a 'noisy minority' that needs assistance.

Yes. Also, I don't know how anyone can say that they will "never" be a member of a 'self interest group' or a 'noisy minority'. :confused:

Perhaps some people automatically picture the stereotype tree hugger or unwashed protester blocking traffic in the city when they hear those terms?

I have had reason to contact my local state representative over a couple of issues in the past - issues that the vast majority of people in my local area felt strongly about and were only too happy to whinge and complain about, but never actually bothered to contact the state Member of Parliament (who many proudly boasted of voting for) about. One was the lack of workers in our local emergency services. Calls for (sometimes urgent) assistance were taking a long time to be responded to due to a severe lack of staff. Definitely not the hardworking frontline staff's fault as the state govt was the one holding the purse strings and refusing to allocate more numbers to the area. Members of the public seemed satisfied with abusing the frontline staff about it though and refused to mention the matter to those really responsible - their elected politicians.

But, sadly, that is the Australian way... have a b**ch about it but do nothing. Let's not bother the pollie we pay a very handsome salary (plus perks!) to address such issues! Too much effort. They are 'proud' to never be one of the 'noisy minority'. :rolleyes:

By the way, I am really enjoying reading your posts, Property Girl. You state your views clearly and with dignity and respect. I'm not surprised you have such a high kudos-to-posts ratio :).

No hope in the world.

Self interest and noisy minority groups mostly don't need assistance; they are mostly whinging, selfish folk who want everyone to change to suit them, many who want handouts without putting in the hard yards (hence "self interest" and "noisy" are the words used to describe them)

Bayview: if ever you get old and decrepid, you will be in a minority. God forbid, if you develop a mental illness or have a stroke/in an accident and are brain injured, you will be in a minority. Wouldn't you want to have some rights if you were in that situation? If any of your children are gay, they are in a minority. Would you be happy for any of them to be alienated, harassed and not have the same legal rights that the rest of us enjoy? If we do not look after the less fortunate and those without a voice in our society, then what are we?

... we are heading down the path of Europe.

Topcropper: There is a big difference between the northern European countries such as Finland, Sweden, where all enjoy a high standard of living and the citizens of which WANT to pay taxes to look after those less fortunate, and Club Med (Spain, Italy and Greece). Europe is a big place. Club Med (Greece, Italy and Spain) have their problems because of the Euro (and corruption)--I am sure there are other reasons but I'm not an expert--not because of Muslims accessing the country's benefits.

Thanks Gottabespotless; I didn't even know there was a kudos-to-posts ratio, lol.

Yes. Also, I don't know how anyone can say that they will "never" be a member of a 'self interest group' or a 'noisy minority'. :confused:

Perhaps some people automatically picture the stereotype tree hugger or unwashed protester blocking traffic in the city when they hear those terms?
Got it in one.

A bit of a generalization of course.

It's more yer groups who are after things for themselves which would not really help the greater majority, down to outright selfishness.

for eg; things like folks getting offended - and calling for banning of - Christmas trees in schools because it offends their religion.

Or; folks who are asked to work harder at looking for work to get their Centrelink etc.

I mean; FFS

Here's one for ya's;

Down our way, there is a strong push by locals to get the Rosebud Council to fund a new state-of-the-art swimming complex.

There is already a terrific venue over at Hastings - always busy and well utilised; loads of jobs as a result from the pool and gym staff, childcare, restaurant etc, while the one at Rosebud is old, tired and substandard to say the least...hardly used.

The venue selected for this new venture is a plot on the foreshore, which is basically unused, barren and ugly...perfect for an improvement such as the one planned.

But no; there is a small group of selfish folk who are opposing it so much that the Gubb has delayed and basically shelved it for a number of years...so far; with no end in sight.

They are mostly old b@stards who hate change and have the NIMBY mentality, and/or are fanatical conservationist/eco-warriors who don't want the beloved wasteland foreshore disturbed for some stupid reason. I'm all for keeping some nature areas in tact, but we are talking about an eyesore that's not even used....a bit of kikuyu grass and a couple of shrubs.

Meanwhile, the greater community who would benefit are missing out.

This is my interpretation of a "noisy minority" and/or "self interest" type person...

I am sure everyone here will know a similar group of pains-in-the-@rses who are not thinking about the greater good.

Last edited:
Hey devank,

You in favor of refugees taking jobs off australian residents?

As a starting point,this incentive may well weed out those illegitimate and non-illegitimate refugees.

We are really pathetic at our job if those newly arrived under privileged refugees can take our jobs :)
If 'jobs' is the worry then we should stop outsourcing our jobs to offshore first.

Think about the people who come here for economic reasons. They are willing to risk their life to improve themselves. I would rather keep them than the ones who want to go and fight in another country!

We are really pathetic at our job if those newly arrived under privileged refugees can take our jobs :)
If 'jobs' is the worry then we should stop outsourcing our jobs to offshore first.

Think about the people who come here for economic reasons. They are willing to risk their life to improve themselves.
Sent Kudos!

I would rather keep them than the ones who want to go and fight in another country!
Or, the ones who can't be bothered to get out of their bed and go to work/look for work, and/or who think it is their right to a job of their choice and liking.

Or, the ones who can't be bothered to get out of their bed and go to work/look for work, and/or who think it is their right to a job of their choice and liking.

It'll be a strong politician who takes on industrial & wages reform to abolish minimum wage & award conditions.

Oh it will send our economy into a tailspin I hear you say. The value of our IPs will plummet as no one can afford to rent.

On the flip side our economy could once again compete with overseas for manufacturing, technology and dead end jobs as well.

Oh we won't have the money in the budget for social services, maybe they will have to contribute to eek out a living.

I agree: we should ALL continue to celebrate Christmas with Santa, Christmas trees and all the trimmings. :)
NOONE says "Merry Xmas!" in the USA anymore...everyone says; "Happy Holidays!"

FFS - it's insane.

None has a cry when it's any other religion having a celebration, yet the poor old Christian celebration - which has been on the same day for centuries - is effectively gagged over there out of Political Correctness gone mad.

The whole religion circus offends me - folks getting absolution and forgiven and sent "upstairs", yet shunning/killing others who aren't quite right in their eyes and all that...total hypocrisy.

But, you don't hear me (and every other Atheist) running to the Pollies to get everyone elses life changed to suit me so I won't get offended.

18C indeed..

Slightly off-topic I suppose, but we are talking about Pollies, so 18C is a tad relevant at the moment.

But, sadly, that is the Australian way... have a b**ch about it but do nothing.

It's the same everywhere - I'm board secretary for a couple of organisation and, despite constantly communicating with members for input, all we hear back is crickets.

Same with the juniors school - over 800 kids but the canteen is always struggling for volunteers - but I'm sure they'd all have a whinge if the canteen had to cut back on services

Plenty of employers willing to pay below minimum wage & cash in hand,hence the roll-on affect.

I agree :)

Think about the people who come here for economic reasons. They are willing to risk their life to improve themselves. I would rather keep them than the ones who want to go and fight in another country!

Yes economic reasons and get the rest of family tree over here...Btw how do these poor under privileged refugees manage to scrape up 10K+ to get on a boat?

How do you weed out the riff from raff from the beginning before they go fight in another country?

Many- probably most- asylum seekers don't come in a boat.

They come as tourists, students or temporary workers. And then apply for asylum.

Very insightful Geoff....very true.....the other thing people forget there are aobut 250,000 visa overstayer in this country.

No boby cares as they are mostly from places like the UK, Ireland, US, Japan, China, Malaysia, etc. They are not from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sri Lanka, or Sudan, Somalia where real human rights issues exist.;)

Many- probably most- asylum seekers don't come in a boat.

They come as tourists, students or temporary workers. And then apply for asylum.

Back