Poor Bathroom Ventilation & Rangehood Exhaust Fan

Hi, bought a new place and found that the suction is pretty poor for a newly installed bathroom ventilation fan and kitchen exhaust fan.

Was told to use a piece of tissue to test it out although not too sure if this
is a right way to gauge the effectiveness.

Is there a benchmark to test the quality of the suction before going back to the builder?

Appreciate all advice possible. Thank you!

The benchmark I use for my properties is am I happy with it? If the answer is 'no' then there is a problem. The builder may have only had to supply the two exhaust fans with no stipulation as to the level of quality however if you tell them to take a look while you simulate a shower or pot boiling pot and can show them the ineffectiveness, one would think they would be lying when they look you in the eye and tell you it would be acceptable for their house.

You may want to check that there is a sufficient gap under the bathroom door as the air being removed needs to come from somewhere and if there is too small of a gap under the door, when you close it, you can hear the exhaust fan begin to struggle.

Thanks Jeremy. You can't really hear the exhaust fan in 1 bathroom and there is sufficient gap in another under the bathroom door. Tried blocking the gap and still can't hear the exhaust fan struggling.

In fact I wasn't happy with a lot of things and raising the issues with the builder prove to be difficult when they just ignore the requests. For eg, raise an issue about door not closing and was told it was due to timber expansion which is normal. Subsequent check with the installer and they said that it was due to the property not setting and there is no such thing as timber expansion.

I am expecting another lame reply on this one too so would like to be prepared and get my facts right before going to Fair Trading if I have to.

Back