Possible airconditioning outlet problem in a unit block.

We have signed a contract to buy a unit.
My husband and I went through the Body Corporate records earlier this week. I noted from them that the owners of the unit had been contacted in the past about doing "something" about the water that comes from the aircon unit's when they are running. At the moment it just drips into a pot plant which is unsatisfactory as apparently then it runs along the balcony.

Does anyone have any ideas of what we need to do or how we could dispose of the condensation water ? Or who we could contact to see what should happen to it. The aircon units are no where near a down pipe so even if it was possible (which I doubt) we can't use that.

Thanks

Louise

Last edited:
I think that the strata is a bit fussy .

The pot plant is on the balcony and the water drips into the pot? what happens when it rains?

I agree. We think it a bit strange also.

I do understand the need to stop water running over balcony's but as we are on the lowest floor it doesn't really make much sence.

We just can't think of a way around it.

This is our first IP so I just want to make sure we have dotted and the I's and crossed all the T's ;)

Thankyou. I never thought of clear tubing :rolleyes:

In your experience would this be acceptable to most "reasonable" body corporates ?

In Vic, AC installers MUST provide condensate drain to a suitable discharge point, ie, garden bed/lawn or storm drain etc. Dunno about QLD, but I would assume the same.

The descibed situation may sound trivial, but it is totally unacceptable. If you cannot resolve the problem, then ring the plumbing/aircon licensing board in your state. They should be able to investigate who installed it and make them finish it properly.

Thanks units4me.

Would this be a council regulation ? Should I start by calling the council first thing on Monday to see what the requirements are ?

Our final day for building inspection is Monday. I imagine we can get the solicitor to extend this so that this problem can be solved ?

I am getting a bit nervous now..

Last edited:
Back