possible broker has vested interest?

Hi

I've emailed my broker notifying of intent of sale and property liquidation. I wanted to find out how new servicing looks but he said he doesnt like the idea of selling. All loans are with one particular lender

he said he doesnt like the idea of selling.

It's not really the brokers place to advise - unless you asked for their opinion.

Our commissions are clawed back if a loan is discharged within 18 - 24 months. I don't know if that comes into play - and it shouldn't determine their willingness to provide support, particularly to an existing client.

In any case - if they don't want to run the numbers, find another that will.

Cheers

Jamie

Cheers all.

The loans are all around 4 years old. I also did ask his opinion and told him why we're doing this. I wanted to find out service-ability for new scenario

Is it something as simple as your broker thinks that holding property for longer is a good idea, and you think selling is better for you at this point in time?

Just a difference of opinion.

I also did ask his opinion and told him why we're doing this.

Fair enough. My opinion is generally the same - I'm not a big fan of selling. Sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it just has to happen. But generally speaking I'm a boring buy, hold and don't sell type of guy.

cheers

Jamie

Are you implying that the broker doesn't want you to sell as he may lose trail income?

However, if you sold and purchased again then the broker would make a new up front so they would make even more money (assuming you used them again)

Thanks again all

Yes, I think it's as simple as this to be honest, I just wanted to make sure. I guess he hasn't run the numbers like I have is all. We're actually better off selling and re-buying in this instance than just holding on. I really urge others to run these numbers too

The calcs: current portfolio val, current equity, current LVR, Current PPOR loan/expenses. Then I cut a few properties and run the numbers on a few scenarios (eg: how many to keep and/or sell) See how much you can get the home loan down by, then see how much you can re-buy and follow the same calcs we started with. They might end up around the same LVR' but you have much lower personal debt.

This won't work for everybody but I'm willing to bet it will benefit more than you might initially think.

Is it something as simple as your broker thinks that holding property for longer is a good idea, and you think selling is better for you at this point in time?

Just a difference of opinion.

all loans with one particular lender? Have you rang that lenders discharge team to gauge how much they will release on selling? Perhaps there wont be anything released?

Hi Red. Aim is semi retirement and halve our current cashflow requirement.
I actually see no point in holding what we have upon doing further sums, we'd actually be labouring for nothing. ( simply labouring to pay bank interest) Pretty senseless indeed

What was the goal with selling?

I actually see no point in holding what we have upon doing further sums, we'd actually be labouring for nothing. ( simply labouring to pay bank interest) Pretty senseless indeed

There are other risks. Inflation and market risk, mainly.

Holding what you have for longer means you get the future capital gains as well.

The fewer assets you hold, the higher the risk that you don't have enough cashflow or run out of assets.

A simple example. Someone 'needs' 50k to live. So they achieve 1.5m in net assets, sells to pay down loans and generates enough 50k + something for inflation. However, if they're young, there's a lot of uncertainty in the future. There might be years when rent doesn't go up while inflation does, forcing them to eat into capital. Expenses might increase due to health or other issues, forcing them to use some of their capital.

There is risk in defining what you need to live now, and assuming that this stays at the same level as you get old(er), and not allowing for specific events. Part of the problem is that if you sell and then quit your job, your serviceability drops and even if, in the future, you realise you need to build up more assets, you will find it harder.

Yes, my thoughts exactly Al!

We will be rebuying a new portfolio that costs less to hold than the present one now selling. We'd not consider selling if we didn't plan on reinvesting. So basically we'll be the same poasie really except more cashflow and less ppor debt

If we did'nt do this? Well we keep labouring away paying interest of $x amount each week meaning it takes much more money and time to pay off [up to an extra 24 years and $1M after tax in fact] so in selling we remove this debt trap that keeps us in the [for us] unnecessary rat race and move onto the next cycle

Yes, my thoughts exactly Al!

We will be rebuying a new portfolio that costs less to hold than the present one now selling. We'd not consider selling if we didn't plan on reinvesting. So basically we'll be the same poasie really except more cashflow and less ppor debt

Will going into semi retirement affect your serviceability to buy a new portfolio?

Our broker is getting back to us on this but I only expect better servicing due to lower LVR on personal. Def a good thought though. I plan on staying employed until after the loan settles

A drop in your LVR doesn't really impact servicing per se. If the effect of selling your property means your cashflow drops more than what the old interest repayments were, it may have a negative impact. It's more likely to be a neutral/slightly positive impact.

Thanks Aaron

Yes thats just fine with us

More disposable income? Check
More free time? Check
Less worry? Check
Same portfolio? Almost a check

Were very happy with this and hopefully all can see it just works well. All the numbers add up

Back