post on child abuse

"The rules which govern such a complex structure must strike the right balance between security and containment on the one hand and rehabilitation and restitution of inmates’ self esteem on the other,
and that balance is not easily attained."

This passage from an Ombudsman's report into Risdon Prison, Tasmania, sums up what the prison system is about.

Prison should not be a holiday camp, neither should it be a place where there is only punishment which hardens the prisoner. Criminals must feel that they have paid for their crime and that they have a right to one day return to society.

On the other hand the general public has the right to expect that the experts don't let us down. That only those who are truly reformed and ready to take their place back into society are released.

This being said appropriate mental health facilities inside and outside of gaols would go far to aleviate some of the problems leading to crimes, especially the type of crimes which started this thread.

Even criminals set themselves apart from this type of predator.

Regards

Andrew

off the point

Although I agree generally with the point of view that once a person is out of jail they should be given a second chance I do not think that should apply for serious sex offenders. Most of these people you cannot change. Once this leeds to death they should not ever be released into the community.

I don't agree with the death penalty, but I agree this type of offender should never be let out. They should never be given another chance to ruin another child's life. I disagree with the three strikes because after strike number one, that should be it. Try telling the parents of child number 2 and 3 that it's okay now, they won't ever get out. Too late for them and their victims.

I acknowledge that the offenders have very often been victims in their own childhood, and that is also a tragedy, but it has to be stopped somewhere.

The problem with the choice question is that I don't believe many people come out of prison rehabilitated, especially sex offenders. It is reported often that they haven't completed rehabilitation courses because in their warped minds, they have done nothing wrong.

I don't know anyone who has been to prison, but I read the papers, and believe many people just cannot be rehabilitated. Apparently, our prisons are full of people who should be in psychiatric care, but these facilities are mostly closed now, and the prisons are filling up.

I don't know what the answer is.

Wylie

hi simon
you have give two I would like to add a third.
as knowledge is power and to know is to avoid a tatoo with armed hold up,on the person stood next to you at an atm or sex offender across the face of the person stood outside the local school.even drug addict as they go into a chemist for me would be fine.
if you do the crime you do the time thats ok by me but you need to know who these people are I am no bleed ing heart nor am I a raving string up up for stealing a packet of cigs but for serial long term offenders we need to be protected and currently were not.
and as for sending people out of jail onto the streets with no assistance again I am sorry you are wrong there is more support groups for this then most.
and this is a very funny issue if it wasn't a mark against us and that is this thing will go into jail and come out and will have all these support groups to assist him but on the other side of the coin we don't have any support groups for the mentally ill that arn't going to jail we give them nothing no support they languish in nursing homes.
and I think they are better off in jail with people there own age relatively then being in a 60 bed nursing home day after day with 59 over 60 year olds and having nothing in common.
our mental health system is in tatters and the only place guys like the one in the article can find a place to stay is three place.
1. the 60 plus nursing home
2. jail
3. a 1 or 2 bedroom with another handicaped person and they may or may not be able to look after themself or anyone else.
the article in the paper is about this guy well if you want to see the next this guy have a walk to your local shopping center and stand there for about an hour and you will see heaps of them and the majority don't have anyone looking after them unless as this guy's done they get thrown in jail.
a very complex problem that is not going to go away.
we as a community via our elected people have sent this group out to meet and live in the community and some can't cope so for me the best way is a form of identification so we know who they are.
and if you read the article had this person had a tatoo with how and what he does.
then the mother would I believe not have left her children with him

LOOK!!! :)

GR used a comma! :p

It's there. In the third line. It's in the wrong place, but it's a start. :rolleyes:

HOORAY!

Never know, he might find the shift key yet. :eek:

asy :D

grossreal said:
hi simon
you have give two I would like to add a third.
as knowledge is power and to know is to avoid a tatoo with armed hold up,on the person stood next to you at an atm or sex offender across the face of the person stood outside the local school.even drug addict as they go into a chemist for me would be fine.
if you do the crime you do the time thats ok by me but you need to know who these people are I am no bleed ing heart nor am I a raving string up up for stealing a packet of cigs but for serial long term offenders we need to be protected and currently were not.
and as for sending people out of jail onto the streets with no assistance again I am sorry you are wrong there is more support groups for this then most.
and this is a very funny issue if it wasn't a mark against us and that is this thing will go into jail and come out and will have all these support groups to assist him but on the other side of the coin we don't have any support groups for the mentally ill that arn't going to jail we give them nothing no support they languish in nursing homes.
and I think they are better off in jail with people there own age relatively then being in a 60 bed nursing home day after day with 59 over 60 year olds and having nothing in common.
our mental health system is in tatters and the only place guys like the one in the article can find a place to stay is three place.
1. the 60 plus nursing home
2. jail
3. a 1 or 2 bedroom with another handicaped person and they may or may not be able to look after themself or anyone else.
the article in the paper is about this guy well if you want to see the next this guy have a walk to your local shopping center and stand there for about an hour and you will see heaps of them and the majority don't have anyone looking after them unless as this guy's done they get thrown in jail.
a very complex problem that is not going to go away.
we as a community via our elected people have sent this group out to meet and live in the community and some can't cope so for me the best way is a form of identification so we know who they are.
and if you read the article had this person had a tatoo with how and what he does.
then the mother would I believe not have left her children with him

Your post is hard to fathom. But are you saying people should have their criminal offences tattooed on their faces as a warning? :confused: :confused:

The question I ask myself regarding the death penalty is simple. Would I be able to administer the punishment?

I have little desire to be responsible for the death of another human being. I could conceivabilty perform such an act in self defence, but not years after the crime has been committed so I don't feel that I could support capital punishment.

The worst crimes should be punished by life imprisonment. Death seams too easy for some.

It makes me sad to read that yet another little child was the victim of a CONVICTED peodifile or sex offender!

If they have been conviced once, why are they let loose in society so that they can recommit the same crimes?

There is no rehab program for these monsters, a bullet is much more effective and cheaper for society too!

The only problem with a bullet is that is far to quick.
They have inflicted a lifetime of pain and suffering onto the children and I think that they should be left alone for a while with the parents of the children they have violated.

I believe in protecting your assets, and I have two assets that I would protect with my life, and I think that I would not be so forgiving to anyone who even attempts anything on my two.

Cata

asy said:
LOOK!!! :)

GR used a comma! :p

It's there. In the third line. It's in the wrong place, but it's a start. :rolleyes:

HOORAY!

Never know, he might find the shift key yet.

asy :D

Asy,

Thank you for bringing a smile to my face:D in such a disturbing thread.

I have 4 kids, god help anybody who "touches them"

GG

Simon said:
Your post is hard to fathom. But are you saying people should have their criminal offences tattooed on their faces as a warning? :confused: :confused:
Simon,i was a fish and chip shop last night and a guy walked in with
a tatto on his face , with the words Fish and Chips but the problem
was it must have been a jail tatto because it was spelt backwards.
He looked like a very happy person.........
god luck willair.........

willair said:
Simon,i was a fish and chip shop last night and a guy walked in with
a tatto on his face , with the words Fish and Chips but the problem
was it must have been a jail tatto because it was spelt backwards.
He looked like a very happy person.........
god luck willair.........

Hey - It isn't my public health idea to tattoo people's offences or mental illnesses on their faces.

I think it a barbaric idea!

Just saw on the news where a convicted paedophile was awarded $170K due to being bashed by inmates whilst in prison.

Think the payment may have gone to the wrong party

I cried when I read this article in The Australian.
Parents, hug your children tighter and watch out for their welfare.
If in doubt of a child being abused, do the right thing and report it to the appropriate authorities as soon as possible.
My heart goes out to the caring relatives of this poor little girl. I just hope that, with counselling and the right help, she gets through it all to lead as normal and happy a life as possible.

if i had any sense i wouldn't post in this thread .........

however ... i don't

ermm........jacque ..... it was a 14 yo boy

kissfan ..... that money is frozen under NSW legislation for 6 months ... while any victims have the opportunity of suing the convicted ....

sooo.. noo money has yet gone to him.

way too much emotion and bad press with these issues

rossv

rossv said:
if i had any sense i wouldn't post in this thread .........

however ... i don't

ermm........jacque ..... it was a 14 yo boy

kissfan ..... that money is frozen under NSW legislation for 6 months ... while any victims have the opportunity of suing the convicted ....

sooo.. noo money has yet gone to him.

way too much emotion and bad press with these issues

rossv

Well I must have read the other story about the young boy and girl (photo in paper but girl's face blotted out) from Sydney. Just tragic.

CATA said:
I believe in protecting your assets, and I have two assets that I would protect with my life, and I think that I would not be so forgiving to anyone who even attempts anything on my two.

Cata

Aren't we as a society responsible for all children, no matter whether we bought them in the world or not, no child deserves to suffer like that!

Clearly the 2 in the article had no responsible adult caring for them not even their mother!!
someone has to!

children of today are the future of tomorow and anyone doing wrong by them is damaging the future for all.

Back