Power grids and substations.

Hi All
Yesterday I went for a drive through the Forest/Belrose area of Sydney's Northern beaches district. I had heard that there was some substantial new developments taking shape Belrose. I don't know who the builders are but the buildings looked very much like Mervac's Newington designs. The thing that amased me was the proximity to the magor overhead power lines which ran right through the middle of the development.
I then went to drive past another older property that seemed to represent good value in Frenchs Forest only to find that the power grid ran straight past the rear of the property.
I like to find a property with a propblem and then try to fix that propblem but this problem would never go away.
Earlier that day I was speeking to a local RE agent who told me that houses near these grids where hard to sell.
Question? Does anyone know if there any evidence that living under or near powerlines is detrimental to ones health?
Just curious
Kind regards
Simon

I had to do a double take - I just read a thread on ski.com.au about the same thing

Link below

http://forum.ski.com.au/ultimate/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=063022

I wouldnt live anywhere near one - for no other reason than I had a good mate die of cancer who lived next to one. Havent done any research and no idea whether it contributed to his death but I just dont want to be anywhere near them now...

PS Ignore the fact they dont know too much about property investment =)

I wouldn't live near one. Just too suspiscious of any cancer-causing stuff in them. I'd just stay right away from them.

simonjulie said:
Question? Does anyone know if there any evidence that living under or near powerlines is detrimental to ones health?
Solely from an IP POV, it doesn't matter if there is any evidence. The public believes there is a problem, the media reinforces that belief.

Hi XBenX
Thanks for that link.
Fascinating reading especially the post about standing under the wires with a florescent tube.
Kind regards
Simon

Thanks Thommo
I did not realise there was a similar post in the archives.
Good reading :)
I suppose I am more interested in the effect on prices and owners in that new development that I saw in Belrose. It looks a bit scarey for the easement where the powerlines run is directly over the only available parkland space in the subdivision. Like that old song By Cat Stevens"where do the children play?"
Simon

Solely from an IP POV, it doesn't matter if there is any evidence. The public believes there is a problem, the media reinforces that belief.
Exactly.

So what does this mean? It means you'll end up with a dud of a property; an owner-occupier has the possibility of contracting cancer and the investor has the possibility of poor returns.

Keep driving right past simonjulie.

I had a friend who was involved with a power company. When somebody was worried about EMF affect he would go to their houses with an EMF meter. He would go into their backyard under the wires (low reading). Go inside and turn on their toaster (high reading). Radiant Heater (huge reading). Electric blanket (huge reading).

I agree though. I wouldn't buy an IP near one due to public perception rather than fact.

MT.

Hi Mit

Interesting that all your friend tested was the EMF close to the house hold objects and not the spread of the EMF.
From what I have heard its the case of the low EMF produced from the power lines charges particles in the air including polution.
The charge particles then attach to inside lungs.
Now this would make me concerned. :(

madmurf said:
Hi Mit

Interesting that all your friend tested was the EMF close to the house hold objects and not the spread of the EMF.
From what I have heard its the case of the low EMF produced from the power lines charges particles in the air including polution.
Now this would make me concerned. :(
Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see :D

To charge (or ionise) particles you must add electrons to or subtract them from the molecules. I am at a loss to understand how EMF radiation can do this and besides your lungs are quite efficient at removing dust.

Always keep in mind that light is simply another EMF so if light doesn't ionise everything, why should power lines?

I personally would be content to live close to (not under) transmission lines but I would need to get a real bargain to invest there. I would prefer to be close to power lines than under an aircraft approach path tho!!!!

Thommo

Now this would make me concerned

The power lines put out higher EMF it is just that the energy disperses as per the square of the distance so the energy effect is lower on a person underneath compared to someone sitting infront of a radiant heater. But as pollution sits right next to the powerlines the particles can become charged :)

Any link to bad health would be difficult to prove as powerlines are rarely put through prime areas and the people living in these areas may be more likely to smoke/have unhealthy work conditions etc. etc.

Mit

About 18 years ago I bought a block and built a house at Brushwood Drive Alfords Point (Southern Sydney). Didn't think of it much then, but the rear boundary adjoined a major transmssion easment - those giant metal power poles.

A coulple of years later, neighbours had 1st child, born then diagnosed with luekemia. They were tragically distrought about this, and went into the whole cancer / high tension power line thing. They formed a local action group, etc. They found this guy who knew a geat deal about it. He came out and set up a weird aparatus under the power lines, consisting of a neon tube, wired up to spirally antena like thingies at each end, but clearly, unconected to anything. He set it up at about 5 metres above ground level, parallel to lines. No visible effect immediately, but as night fell, a faint glow was seen from the neon tube, and as night darkened, it became slightly brighter. It made the local papers, and if I recall correctly, the Daily Telegraph.

Not much happened of course, the lines are still there, and their kid died after 18 months. We sold well before we had kids, and I believe they sold too prior to having another. Though in fairness, I should point out that that was the only incident of ill health apparent at that time - but who knows ?

In any case, the neon light episode made a remarkable impression on me, and I've stayed as far away from then as possible. Though it's getting harder and harder to avoid those mobile telephone towers ...

Cheers
JamesP

Personally, I reckon the neon light did nothing more than demonstrate how the great auroras happen.

Thommo

Last edited:
Electro magnetic fields and electro magnetic radiation is just one of the myriad of health hazard we subject ourselves by conforming to current day living.
In the EMF debate, power companies and governments defend themselves by measuring EMF with meters, and comparing it with toasters. That is just deceptive behaviour. No one has a toaster on 24/7 and sits in front of it, besides what does a EMF meter tells but the intensity of the field? Does it measure the influence it has on a living organism?
A bacteria culture can be greatly influenced with a mild EMF, and its growth will accelerate or slow down according to the field polarity. There are many experiments with living material that proves how EMF has a huge impact on living organism.

Electro magnetic fields and electro magnetic radiation add one more stress load on our immune system already on overload because of the hundreds of "low level" poisons we ingest with our food every day.
It is interesting that to ban a certain additive from our food the health organisations need to proove that one particualr item is deleterious to our health, yet they cannot make a case adding up all the other "permissible" items the person is bound to injest.

Is EMF harmfull? Perhaps for a healthy individual without any genetic predisposition, living in a world whitout pesticides nor syntetic materials in the house, no car and eating home grown organic vegetables and a stress free life, it is perfectly safe.

Put an individual with a mild predisposition towards cancer under a powerline, give him a car that sits in the sun and accumulates carcinogenic fumes for him to breathe, synthetic carpets, particleboard furniture, large varnished floors, a mobile phone and it's tower nearby, a microwave oven, processed food, imported vegetables and tinned tuna from Thailand, and he will be subjected to such a barrage of carcinogenic material each one individually "perfectly safe", yet collectively deadly.
Add to that the fact that his food is grown in depleted soils that contain none of the micronutrients that his body needs to produce antioxidants to fight off the free radicals galore that are chewing up his organism, and you can understand why today we die from degenerative diseases.

If we can reduce the exposure to one free radicals promoter, that is one less enemy our body needs to worry about.

Thommo said:
Personally, I reckon the neon light did nothing more than demonstrate how the great auroras happen.

Thommo

Im not sure how aurora's occur nor whether that comment was :p but according to the ski.com.au thread;

You need an electric voltage of about 100v to light a fluoro.... so the electric field needs to be quite substantial to light one.

marc1 said:
If we can reduce the exposure to one free radicals promoter, that is one less enemy our body needs to worry about.

Oh bravo! That was very eloquently and sagely expressed and I wholeheartedly agree with you..

Sub-station

Hi

we purchased our PPOr opposite a sub-station in Fremantle as a way of getting our foot in the door of this lucrative suburb. Our thoughts were that we would hold on to it for 2/3 years and then use it as a rental as it was well rented out for 8 years before we bought it. The council have planted trees all around and it is hard to see. There is a new sub-division of 250 lots ($300,000 up wards) being released next year right along side of it. We weighed up living on a busy road (exhaust, etc) to this. People around us have young children and they seem fine, but we will move on before having any of our own.
We have just had our house valued and we have increased in value by $120,000 in 18months. I believe that we will always have to take money off or have a smaller amount of people interested due to this proximity.

I think there will always be people like us. (I find the overhead towers spooky though)

Meg

Back