Western Power issues

Hi Gang,

Didnt really know what section to put this in. It's more of a vent than anything else.

I'm currently building a PPOR in Forrestfield 6058 in a new estate. My particular block is a strata lot. In fact 8 of the blocks in a 20 block development are strata titled.

I went to a volume builder that specializes in first home buyers (even though I'm not a FHB, just their prices suited me) and they located the developer/block for me. This same builder is doing quite a few others in the same estate too.

So the slab was poured a month ago now and at that time the builder called to tell me that the brickies were scheduled to start but there was no power to the site and they were going to bring a generator at my expense.

So I called Synergy and queried the power connection. They said I had a valid account with them and had paid connection fee. So I called the builder and provided my Synergy account number for their reference at which point they said the "green dome wasnt energised" which isn't a Synergy issue a Western Power issue.

So I rang up Western Power and the first phone jockey I got through to told me that my address didn't exist. Redialled them up and got through to a different person who apparently knew how to use the search function on his computer and told me that the developer had organised underground power network to the non-strata lots in the estate and to the "node" (?) of the strata lots.

Back and forth with the developers and they claim they've organised everything and done everything within their power (zing). They said they were speaking with them directly and both sides (Developer and WP) were claiming they'd done everything.

So I left it with them and time has gone by. The external and internal walls are up, and a carpenter has done the roof frames. I had a meeting with the site supervisor on Friday just gone to check progress and whatnot. The progress has actually been very good since they started. It was several *months* to actually get started though, but thats a story for another day.

While i was there, I asked this site supervisor for an update on the power situation. He said pretty much the same as Western Power did a month ago - none of the strata lots have power. I asked if a generator was being used and he said no they're running an extension cord from another property thats currently being built (same builder).

So this being the case;

1) Why did the builder call me a month ago to say there was no power when none of the others had power either. Its not isolated to me so obviously is an issue thats higher up the chain

2) For those who know something about developing strata lots and / or utility companies in WA, if the developer says he's organised it and WP says they haven't, which ones correct?

3) When the house across the road gets their billion dollar power bill and wants to divvy it up between those who have been using it, who's responsible?

4) If it gets to move in stage and there's still no power, how will i access Somersoft? :(

from personal experience, Synergy and WP seem to have no clue as to the division of their duties. Completely disfunctional

Is there a title on this block or is it being done built strata?

Sounds like a developer **** up unless the contract stated the block is without services and you have to supply them.

If that is the case you could be up for big dosh. You will have to pay for WP to connect from the dome to your block.

What type of connection did you apply for from Western Power?

send everyone a first and final account for your generator costs. follow it up with a debt collector and see who jumps first.

Which generator?

Is there a title on this block or is it being done built strata?

Sounds like a developer **** up unless the contract stated the block is without services and you have to supply them.

If that is the case you could be up for big dosh. You will have to pay for WP to connect from the dome to your block.

What type of connection did you apply for from Western Power?

The blocks were titled before settlement went through by council, landgate et al. All the green title lots in the estate have power and all the strata title lots do not. I think theres ~8 of the latter including mine that have the same problem.

I tried to arrange something with Western Power and they said no, talk to the the retailer (Synergy).

So I havent arranged anything with Western Power, was meant to be powered and watered (there was a problem with water too - they went out to connect it and couldnt find it because the actual infrastructure didnt match the plans, but thats resolved now) by the developer. I arranged an account with Synergy and they provided an account number which I've forwarded to the builder.

So the builder is running an extension cord to the property across the road and using their power (same estate, currently building but further progressed than mine). I'm guessing this isn't legal. But if the owner of that property tries to divvy up the powerbill they'll try to forward it to me and i'll try to forward it to the developer who'll try to forward it to WP et al

So this end up getting resolved.

Based on what some people have said, my theory on what occurred is:
1) Strata lot requires more to be done by developer than regular block
2) western power came out to connect the block but couldn't due to developer's portion being incomplete/damaged
3) developer blamed builder for damaging it and builder denied
4) developer end up repairing/completing himself
5) western power came out and connected me (and others in the street)

End result is that they ran an extension cord to the property across the street during building, saving me the cost of a generator. I'm not sure if that house will try to recover costs, but they'd better not come to me.

Construction was super quick, I have my Practical Completion Inspection next Monday. It started a couple months behind schedule though.

End result is that they ran an extension cord to the property across the street during building, saving me the cost of a generator. I'm not sure if that house will try to recover costs, but they'd better not come to me.

doesn't seem very fair? even if you had power connected you would have to pay for consumption and the house owner could have easily told you to take a jump

doesn't seem very fair? even if you had power connected you would have to pay for consumption and the house owner could have easily told you to take a jump

Because there's no fair way to apportion it since all houses in the street were doing the same and it's the developers fault we didn't have our own power to our own sites.

far out - I wonder if the owner is aware of everyone having a free for all off their power meter?? you could be named and shamed for stealing from a building site!

far out - I wonder if the owner is aware of everyone having a free for all off their power meter?? you could be named and shamed for stealing from a building site!

Perhaps thats what caused them to take so long to commence, they were negotiating to pay that site owner's power?

End of the day it doesnt matter much, just glad to finally have my own PPOR and be off the rental round about. Now to go about getting some equity in it lol ;)

Perhaps thats what caused them to take so long to commence, they were negotiating to pay that site owner's power?

End of the day it doesnt matter much, just glad to finally have my own PPOR and be off the rental round about. Now to go about getting some equity in it lol ;)

sure is the way forward, congrats

Back