Pre-Purchase Inspection didn't mention poor roof condition!

Hiya,

I'm renovating an IP that was recently purchased.

The painter mentioned poor roof condition, which was not mentioned on the Building Inspection Report.

I called the building inspector who went back to the premises, and I haven't heard from him in 2 days.

I've just received a quote for 10K for re-roofing! Waiting on more quotes...

The question is: Can I try to get some compensation from the building inspector?

Cheers,
dreamgirl

Most likely not - most Building Inspector's T&C's you signed would absolve them of missing things - even big things.

The Y-man

I would certainly be giving it try. No ask... no get.

That is poor. Why bother getting an inspection done if they miss a $10K roof fix? I guess he has professional insurance. Perhaps just the suggestion that you will be taking it further might see some action.

Good luck.

It took him less than an hour (after I rang him) to go back to inspect the roof.
The painter who was there said he was looking sheepish and told the painter that the damage to the roof and ceiling looks like it's long term.
2 days later and no phone call from him so I guess he's feeling nervous and doesn't know what to tell me, for fear of incriminating himself.
Come Monday I'll be sending him the 10K quote to see what reaction I get.

I have been given 2 other quotes (repair only, not re-roof).

One quote was $2860 and the cheaper one at $1980.

I sent the building inspector an email requesting that I be compensated for the cost of repairing the roof, because he completely overlooked its poor condition.

I sent him the 3 quotes, asking to be compensated for the cheapest quote.

Let's see how this pans out...

I have been given 2 other quotes (repair only, not re-roof).

One quote was $2860 and the cheaper one .
Just from the sidelines but is this a metal or tile roof $2860.00 would not go far on any-roof,,that would only be for a Irish backpacker one day paint job..

Plus somewhere in the fine print there will be something about what covers what..

Hiya,

I'm renovating an IP that was recently purchased.

The painter mentioned poor roof condition, which was not mentioned on the Building Inspection Report.

I called the building inspector who went back to the premises, and I haven't heard from him in 2 days.

I've just received a quote for 10K for re-roofing! Waiting on more quotes...

The question is: Can I try to get some compensation from the building inspector?

Cheers,
dreamgirl
Hiya Dreamgirl
Any update? Has the builder inspector got back to you?
Good luck!

Pay cheap, Pay dear....

Obviously the inspector appears to have missed some critical information, and this is unacceptable. However, as a professional in the construction industry I am continually baffled how clients can expect to pay less in real terms year on year and not think that quality will be affected; especially in an environment of increasing compliance costs for suppliers eg cannot use ladder given high OH&S risk profile.

Without being disrespectful to the poor owner who is now facing unanticipated work, how much did the inspector get paid?

Perhaps they got paid $400 for a 7 page inspection report. So after overheads he might take out $150 for 4 hours work; ie $38/hr. A fruit and veg shop counter employee at my local grocery gets paid $25/hr with no risk, no climbing onto roofs, no litigation of $10k coming their way because they missed a rotten apple, hidden behind a panel that they couldn't open to see inside......

As with all things, seeking the lowest price consultant rarely results in getting the right or best answer. As a structural engineer, I ask people why would you risk 99% of the construction budget by screwing the engineer down on his 1% of construction costs fee (presently at 0.55% which used to be 4% in 1980), when you could pay him double to save the project significant amounts of time and money. Quality requires time and money.

When you buy insurance the rate is typically 0.5% to 8% of insured object. How is that engineers or inspectors are supposed to insure their work with professional indemnity insurance and carry out the task for less than the insurance rate of the property?

And if the owner paid above market rate costs (say $1500) for the inspection and the inspector had at least 8 hours to inspect; ask him how he would like to make good? In my view it would be reasonable to at least return his fee in this instance, and possibly more.

Steel Concrete
MEng MIEAust CPEng RPEQ

Back