Pre-purchase inspection

I have put an offer on a house our first IP ( approx 50 year old, WB house ) and also got a building inspection done which as come up mostly average and it suggests

a) that there are some old wiring and the home has no safety switch. ( Would you know ho much would this cost ? )

b) there is asbestos in some internal lining in the laundry area. ( Should this be major concern )

c) House stumps have wood rot and decay below ground level & re-stumping required in near future.( Would you know ho much would this cost ? )

It seems like a good buy, the numbers stack up allright and i can afford it and my ( (+ my Buyers Agent's) ) research is favourable to this area ( West Norlane, VIC).

Appreciate your feedback,

K

a) that there are some old wiring and the home has no safety switch. ( Would you know ho much would this cost ? )
$350-500

b) there is asbestos in some internal lining in the laundry area. ( Should this be major concern )
Not a concern unless you sand it, drill it etc. Leave it alone and it will be OK.

c) House stumps have wood rot and decay below ground level & re-stumping required in near future.( Would you know ho much would this cost ? )
Replacing every stump IS expensive. :eek: (some thousands of $'s) Is it ALL the stumps or only a couple?

I would be getting some quotes on replacing the stumps before going any further, if they have found some rot there then its a fair bet that most will be needing replacement soon

Thanks for your input.
I will get more detail around that.. wonder if this is enough to bail out of the contract as the sale was subject to inspection...

Thanks for your input.
I will get more detail around that.. wonder if this is enough to bail out of the contract as the sale was subject to inspection...

Like most things with building, you have 3 choices:
1. Pull out
2. Get a quote to fix and drop your offer by that much + some contingency + your time & trouble
3. Have the vendor fix at their own expense

Get your buyer's agent to handle the negotiations - which afterall is one of the reasons you probably hired one :)

Back