predictions of petrol price at $2.00

I just read somewhere that petrol prices are predicted to rise to $2.00 a litre next year.

If this does happen what can we expect to see with interest rates, how high can they go?

Interest rates will be the least of our worries.

Food (and pretty much anything physical that we buy) will be more expensive. The key is whether people expect petrol to stay high and alter their lives accordingly. People on lower incomes who live far from public transport (which is a big chunk of Sydney) will be hit much harder. They'll shop less, go out less, consume less. If consumption drops sufficiently, businesses will start laying off staff.

It won't be pretty. Even at current prices it must be seriously hitting people who drive to and from work, for example. I'm surprised it hasn't had a bigger impact on consumption by now.
Alex

how high ???

How high petrol will ultimately go is very, very complex. But $2.00 plus per litre is an absolute given at this stage. I think diesel will see $2.00 within weeks.

LL

If you look at the last CPI report, you'll see that energy and food went up through the roof.

But wages can only pay so much, which is why rent increased less than the CPI average and went down in real terms. That's the future. People need to eat and get to work.

What's left over they can spend on fancy place to sleep and watch fancier TVs.

What's another thing that gets hit when times are tough? People being willing to take out monstrous loans that require decades of high wages to repay and buy houses - which are extremely expensive by any measure.

Just an observation.

Over the last 4 weeks I have been working within 2 blocks of a busy railway station and cars have started to park everywhere. They have spread out further than I have ever observed them before.

Then casually noting the same trend at all stations that I go past.

This would certainly indicate that there are more people now parking and taking public transport.

Then there is the report from the minister of transport that railway ticket machine were not keeping up with the demand for tickets from rail traveler's.

All would indicate that people are seeking alternatives to the costs associated with car travel.

Mind you went out for a bit of a drive over to Breakfast point from Sutherland (via Town - don't ask:confused:) on Saturday and there was just traffic everywhere, both driving to town out of town and across town like it was peak hour travel none stop. Very strange!!!

Cheers

I'd like to know whether this has had an impact on people driving around looking for IP's. I don't drive around as much as I used to as it's getting too expensive. Google maps is good, but it's just not the same thing as seeing the property real life. It ain't easy feeding a V8, so less driving around for me. I tow a boat, so no room for a 4 cylinder in the garage.

Also, how do people think increased petrol prices, food and other items in general going up will impact property prices? Is an another increase rate just around the corner?

It does not take a genius to work this out, but how about our employees start letting people work from home?!? Oh no I hurt some brain cells. :confused:

Seriously, if more and more people can start to work from home, use video link phones for clients and meetings then:

1. The petrol companies could take a hike as we would only need to drive for pleasure and recreation

2. Our planet would breath a lot easier

3. Less accidents on the roads and less peak hour traffic

Sure some jobs require you to be present on site (myself included I work as a desktop support officer) but even my job can be made virtual via the phone and the web.

The ogvernment spends billions of dollars on transport and roads, how about starting to make people work from home??

Because bosses think they need to keep an eye on their workers or they'll slack off. I know it's true in my case. I would slack off a LOT more if I was allowed to work from home.

What's more likely is that if this keeps up we'll have more office parks in the suburbs.
Alex

Just an observation.

Over the last 4 weeks I have been working within 2 blocks of a busy railway station and cars have started to park everywhere. They have spread out further than I have ever observed them before.

I have noticed the same thing (and I live pretty close to the CBD). It's irritating cos they rudely park in my off street parking without permission!

It does not take a genius to work this out, but how about our employees start letting people work from home?!? Oh no I hurt some brain cells. :confused:

Maybe we'll end up like Silicon Valley where a condition of working for many companies is that you work from home at least two days a week?

Cheers, Medine

Back