Preditors from Brisbane Council. Parking

Few weeks ago I got a letter, that I stopped in a bus zone in CBD

I remember I was dropping off my wife, it took few seconds, there were no buses, and was raining.

They don't want to listen, they want me to pay $100.

Well, I do understand, that when the car is parked, or blocks the traffic or does any other nuisance, then there is a reason to fine. But $100 for few second stop on empty street ...

I think it's too much

Today I saw a BCC parking instector at the bus zone near the school. They were booking all cars dropping off their kids while there were no buses....

I think BCC is up to open season. Strange to see such thing from goverment we elected.

My wife was having a baby,

I was 10 minutes over on the meter and got a ticket.

I didn't even park near the hospital,on the very fringes so if I was late it wouldn't matter.

Man I was upset :mad:

tell them you don't recognise their jurisdiction in the matter and would like to be shown the law that says they can fine you.

if it says parked - and you were standing - then there's no recourse.

make 'em work for it.

That would probably be the bit that says:

A driver must not stop in a bus zone, unless the driver is driving a bus. Maximum penalty - 20 penalty units.
So next time, make sure the car is still moving when dropping off the wife.

GP

So next time, make sure the car is still moving when dropping off the wife.
GP

Ah... but if they're using a camera, like they often do, the car won't be moving ;).

Today I saw a BCC parking instector at the bus zone near the school. They were booking all cars dropping off their kids while there were no buses....

That's because it was still an infringement, and where most were occurring. Parking inspectors love schools at drop off and pick up times.

They might often be miserable creeps (one of ours is), but there have been times where I've thought 'where's the b***** inspector when he's needed'.

Does the school have a 'kiss and drop' drive through? Most do so for child safety reasons, and because it prevents inconvenience to other road users.

I work in a school and wish a parking inspector would be located permanently outside.

Frankly, a huge number of parents simply don't care about anyone but their own kids. Heaven forbid their little darling may have to actually WALK 20m to the gates - the parents simply MUST park directly outside even if it means double parking, parking over crossings or in "no parking" areas.
Marg

when i was in year 3 or 4 my mum dropped me in the drop off zone at school and like every other parent did... chucked a u - ie to go back the other way. Unfortuantely this particularly morning her u-turn happened to cross the first part of the double line leading up the crossing. A passing cop saw it and put on his LIGHTS and SIRENS to pull her over... she was mortified... not only by the fact she was pulled over (while three or four cars who did it seconds before where not) but that they put on the lights and sirens right out the front of the school where me and everyone else could see. She is still horrified to think about what "people thought of her".. i dont even remember!

My wife got fined the other day for parking in a no parking zone while she took a DVD back to the store.

Boy, was she indignant when she got home: 'But I was only there for about 2 minutes blah blah.'

I asked her whether the sign said, 'No parking (unless you are just taking a DVD back and will only be a couple of minutes.'

Bus zone, no parking, school zone etc signs are all pretty easy to understand.

I'm with you on the school thing, Marg. I'm one of those narky parents who tells off other parents for doing dumb things in their cars when there are dozens of little kids around.

My wife got fined the other day for parking in a no parking zone while she took a DVD back to the store.

Boy, was she indignant when she got home: 'But I was only there for about 2 minutes blah blah.'

I asked her whether the sign said, 'No parking (unless you are just taking a DVD back and will only be a couple of minutes.'

Bus zone, no parking, school zone etc signs are all pretty easy to understand.

I'm with you on the school thing, Marg. I'm one of those narky parents who tells off other parents for doing dumb things in their cars when there are dozens of little kids around.

That's like my DH. He got a fine for parking his motorbike on the foot path, they even have a sign up saying not too.

"but everyone else was parked there, and there were no other parks left".
I pointed out that he could have parked all day at the shopping center accross the road for free (on a motorbike).

I work in a school and wish a parking inspector would be located permanently outside.

Frankly, a huge number of parents simply don't care about anyone but their own kids. Heaven forbid their little darling may have to actually WALK 20m to the gates - the parents simply MUST park directly outside even if it means double parking, parking over crossings or in "no parking" areas.
Marg
In all the 14 years i was picking up my daughters i never ever saw a BCC
inspectors at any of the schools,but the way some of those ladies would fight for the right to be first in line was a shocker,a few young kids were hit by big bull-bars from 4WD,s,could never understand why they just
did not park up the park and walk down,but i agree they need them outside schools..willair.

i got done for this in newcastle a few years back ... cost me $280 (mutter mutter).

i had a wee chuckle a couple of weeks back when we'd been to a packed outdoor free movie and in the paper the next week were some people having a spat about being hit for $280 parking fine for "no parking", "no stopping" etc zones - whereas all the 4wd who'd parked on the grass got of scott free ... that's because the grass is "policed" by the ranger who obviously wasn't there that night, and the parking inspectors have no juristriction over it.

p.s. we got there early, parked many blocks away and walked

Back