Just bought in Marrickville

Re: the place up for sale, well let's just say there are stories. As with any purchase, caveat emptor.

My floorplan is identical to that - I, too, knocked out the kitchen wall, but put in a bench/cupboards behind the sofa. I have more storage space than I know what to do with!

You're right, my third room is not habitable. I'll be using it as a study (it's 1.6 x 1.5m). It was formerly the laundry end of a long bathroom. Shower is now over the bath; euro-laundry where the shower used to be. It involved compromises, obviously, but it's working well for me so far (finished in Feb).

Hmmm...maybe my info is wrong and it's a different TV show, since House Rules is set in different places all over the country.

Our block sounds pretty similar community-wise (I find a pool helps a great deal to foster this) but the demographic is definitely getting younger and more renters.

I also found a cool book at the library "Surely you're joking Mr Feynman" that is def worth a read, but I guess you know it :)

My brother went to this auction with the intention of buying. He set himself a limit of 555K and we thought 623K was a ludicrous amount to pay for that unit. As a fellow member commented previously, it is not in the most desireable part of Marrickville. A good 10-15min walk to the station and even further away from the main cluster of restaurants/cafes, schools, library and retail sector on Illawarra and Marricckville Road.

i went to an auction in Sep 09 and a good 2 bed apartment with city views (from bedrooms), garage + parking spot and close to everything sold for $420 and had a price guide of $350 and I thought then that $420 was a ludicrous amount for an apartment !! These things seem so hard to believe at the time and then you look back and say what a bargain prices were back then !!

People are pretty pumped about the light rail but 36 mins to central when it takes 18 mins on a train. Why would anyone take that option?
I know it connects more of other suburbs that only have bus access but how much value has it added? I thought the parallel bike lane was a great idea and really would have sealed the deal. Obviously the powers that be did not agree.

People are pretty pumped about the light rail but 36 mins to central when it takes 18 mins on a train. Why would anyone take that option?

Because not everybody goes all the way to Central. The two blokes I know who will use it every day work on the west side of Darling Harbour. It's great for them. Previously, they caught a train to Town Hall and then had a 20 minute walk.

Well, I've settled on that recent purchase. But the point of this post is actually to drop this here for anyone with eyes on the Marrickville area.

Lift access is being added to the Marrickville station. I saw proposals about this a while back. It's locked in now:

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2311444/lift-access-lottery-follows-loose-measurement/?cs=12 said:
May has been a busy month for lift access at train stations, with the government announcing plans to construct them at three separate locations.

As well as Artarmon, Transport Minister Gladys Berejiklian has this month announced a $32-million project at Marrickville station which includes two lifts, and four at Arncliffe station. The latter is dependent on planning approval.

Arncliffe station is in the Liberal-held electorate of Rockdale while Marrickville is in the state seat of the same name held by the ALP but, due to a redistribution, will disappear at the next election.

Work at these three stations will be funded as part of the $770-million Transport Access Program (TAP).

The program is also funding the new Flinders station and upgrades to Albion Park, Dapto, Unanderra and Austinmer stations.

Under the Liberal government, TAP has also funded a further six stations beyond the three announced this month - including Cardiff, Redfern, Sutherland and Waterfall.

On top of this, lifts are under consideration at Oatley, Flemington, Wentworth Falls and Wentworthville stations.

Under the Liberal government, no stations in the Illawarra have had lifts installed, nor are there any under consideration for lifts, according to the TAP website.

The state Bureau of Transport Statistics keeps a record of the numbers using each station.

The barrier counts show that some of the above stations have a substantially higher number than Unanderra, which sits at a daily average of 520 for 2012.

Artarmon's barrier count for that year was 5200, Marrickville was 3630 and Redfern recorded a whopping 22,060.

But the usage at some other stations that either already have lifts or are under consideration show figures much closer to Unanderra.

At Cardiff station, near Newcastle, the barrier count was 810 while at the Blue Mountains' Wentworth Falls station, where lifts are being considered, the average daily usage was 720.

If the number of commuters using a station is the deciding factor in whether or not the government builds lifts, it would appear the line has been drawn somewhere between 720 and Unanderra's 520.

Hey ryan,

Been awhile since we chatted. Val came back at my unit for $675k. 2/1/1. $610k ourchase back in sep last year!

Keep the cg going so i can buy my next one

So, Channel 7 filmed a reno show in the complex I own these two in (after I bought the first, and before the second).

I just heard episode 2 is airing tonight (in a few minutes, actually - 7:30).

Maybe I'll get some ideas for adding value to these down the track. One of mine is bound to have an identical floorplan.

I never watch telly so I'm lucky someone saw it last night and tipped me off.

So, Channel 7 filmed a reno show in the complex I own these two in (after I bought the first, and before the second).

I just heard episode 2 is airing tonight (in a few minutes, actually - 7:30).

Maybe I'll get some ideas for adding value to these down the track. One of mine is bound to have an identical floorplan.

I never watch telly so I'm lucky someone saw it last night and tipped me off.
Shame they didn't do the reno on your unit, ay? ;) Would have been nice for someone else to foot the bill!

Bought in Arthur st 2012 2 bed unit $374k
completed full reno a lot of my own handy work at the cost of 15k got revalue done a few months ago at 465k.
Rent increase from $400 to $450 will keep riding the marrickville ride!!!!!!

Just bought in Marrickville. Again. Sort of.

I?ve been out hunting on behalf of my Dad?s SMSF.

Gazumped once, outbid once then I nabbed this one on the weekend -- the block adjoins the one I own a couple in so the location is awesome and good growth in the short, medium and long term are likely:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-nsw-marrickville-117929235

Got it $20-$30k under value (thanks to the vendor for opting to sell without an agent). Despite the hot market, there are still deals to be had if you have your finger on the pulse and act quick. The same day, a mate (and fellow SSer) who accompanied me had an offer accepted elsewhere which was easily $40k under value.

So, the apartment:

- First floor, nice leafy outlook
- Deep within a battle-axe block so it?s very quiet
- Golf course, river and cycleways are directly opposite
- Train 400m
- Light rail 450m
- Bus to city about 100m away
- New paint and carpet
- Good, open floorplan
- Internal laundry
- Built-ins in both rooms
- Big bathroom with separate shower
- Approx 75sqm (incl. balcony)
- Cat friendly complex

Only real downers are that the bedrooms are looked into by other apartments.

It?ll get $430-$450/week rent.

The area I mentioned a while ago that was being redeveloped nearby is evolving quickly. Two coffee shops have opened already and a load of new dwellings are being constructed with commercial spaces below. The new residents, shops, cafes and restaurants will be a big boost for the area which is one of the last quiet pockets in the suburb.

* The block adjoins the block I bought my two 2 bedders in and has a passworded gate, allowing owners to cut through the other complex, shaving about 5 mins off the trip to the train/bus/light rail.

Back