pressure cleaners

I am thinking of buying a pressure cleaner to help clean the large amount of paving / driveways we have.

A search revealed someone had bought a $200 karcher cleaner and were happy with that.

Has anyone else had experience they could pass on as to what type to buy. There is quite a variation in price , with the more expensive one having a greater pressure.

Is there a minimum pressure I should be getting or any other features I should be looking for .

Also can you use them for cleaning roofs (Concrete tiles ) ? and does that give a good result?

See change

Own a Karcher myself and it is excellent - for small jobs. Anything with a reasonable area you either have to be very very patient or hire a petrol driven model. I have used these petrol models for roofs and driveways etc - awesome. Quick, clean and easy. I did look at buying a petrol model but could not justify the price vs return so opted for a smaller one for said jobs and hire the real mean ones for larger jobs. I must say, its a bit like using a large chainsaw - over blown but man it feels good!

pressure cleaner

Burkes Backyard had an attachment to snap on to your garden hose for under $10 on last nights show. Not sure about the pressure but worth a look!

Not sure if the burkes back yard 10 dollar one is the ten dollar one I've got , but if it is , it's not that great for anything except fairly superficial dirt. We have a fan and a straight Brass nozzels which we got several years ago and they're ok , but that's all. Certainly notsomething for using on large areas , or ingrained dirt .

See change

See_change..... hope this info helps -

I have a Karcher K2 pressure cleaner it has a max 1450psi. Worked a treat on my pavers & "launched" the spiders & webs off the patio & into space.
But..... tried to clean condensation stains off the underneath of the gable patio to no avail:mad: . coz the damn patio roof is too high up.
Haven't got extension for hand piece, I think that I'll get much better results if I can get the nozzle close to the dirt!

Don't know how much the Karcher was, coz it was a prezzie.

KANGA

sea change,
I have used a 2000 psi cleaner on concrete tiles that worked well,although the roof restoration guys use about 4000psi.The cheaper types(a couple of hundred dollers)you will find have plastic gears and so on.Unfortunatly you get what you pay for in that respect.

steve

Hi Guys.
have been reading your thread.
Rambada, I hear you there
I have an airless sprayer for painting, which i have bought different tips for. The sprayer has a max psi rating of 7000psi, (Same price as petrol Pressure cleaner).
I have a 2m extension which gives plenty of reach.
Have used it to clean houses, pavers, driveways etc etc.
Works an absolute treat.
Pros & Cons?

Con- the pick up hose sits in a bucket which you have to continuosly feed with a hose.:mad:
Pro- You can paint your house with it:D

Regards

Adrien

See-change,

We hired a pressure cleaner for the last place, only cost $69. Did a very good job and all!

Jas

G'day see_change

At the beginning I bought a K'Archer from Godfrey's, for $220. Special price for me! I later found out that Bunnings sell them for around $180 - less trade discount. (Sound of grinding teeth)

I used it to blast the loose and flaking paint and petrified hunstmen off the weatherboards when the asbestos sheeting was removed. Magical. The main problem was that the garden hose connections to the tap didn't hold very well, but the K'Archer was fairly quiet, easy to hold even over my head, and really blasted once I worked out how to adjust it.

I also used it up into the rafters of the garage (wear a hooded waterproof jacket, gumboots and a face shield - My spectacles were useless after .5 seconds). The hose is long enough to climb ladders with. It also got rid of weeds between pavers and lots of slippery moss along the side paths.

I also used it to blast the paint stripper off the old garage door which would otherwise have been a painful and fiddly job.

Disadvantages using water cleaners are that the area is soon swamped, plus the cleaned area can be covered in dirty overflow water if there isn't sufficient drainage. I have seen a funnel shaped attachment promoted in advertisements which goes over the power nozzle to save surrounding areas being covered in flying detritus. However, I haven't found one of these covers in the shops yet.

The K'Archer also has a low pressure nozzle which can be used with detergent, for general washing eg painted houses, caravans etc

I applied to the water supply company for permission to use the pressure cleaner, and received a written reply. This permission is noted on the property file, so if anyone rings in to 'dob in a water cheat' (me) for cleaning driveways and paths there is already a file note.

The model I've got is fine for me, at a reasonable price, and is available whenever I want it a moment's notice.

Cheers

Kristine

Back