Price Fluctuations Based on Season?

Hi guys,

This may be a daft question but during a conversation with my Mum the topic arose of property prices fluctuating depending on season.

I'm looking at buying in Cronulla which is beachside area in Sydney. Mum's claiming prices are inflated around Spring/Summer time when living in that area is more desirable due to beach proximity - "tugging on the emotional strings" of buyers so to speak..

I've been going to a few inspections of late but she seems to think waiting until winter and the colder months will work in my favour.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks.

Hi,

I would agree that the prices do fluctuate if the property is a like a long weekend holiday getaway. Interestingly i was looking at a suburb in Melbourne which was close to beaches and holiday type but far from city and cbd. I searched up the property in rpdata and the trend was that during cold seasons the prices were slightly lower compared to summer/warm seasons. people from city would not drive 2 hours just to get there and buy property in middle of winter (unless they are smart) :p

so those are my thoughts,

hope that helps!

I've been going to a few inspections of late but she seems to think waiting until winter and the colder months will work in my favour.

Logically, your Mum's theory would seem to make sense. The last 15 years collated data - as displayed in the attached file, would seem however to indicate, that the winter months are when the most sales volume occurs though. (at least for houses in Cronulla)

Attachments

• CronullaPeakSellingPeriods.jpg
    CronullaPeakSellingPeriods.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 58
Back