Prime cost items, new build

Hi guys,

My builder recently submitted a claim for stage 5, one before completion.

According to contact, at this stage:

"All ceramic tiling installed, prime cost items installed, painting complete"

When I asked the builder about prime cost items, he mentioned since all the items in the house are priced for in the contract - I have a fixed price contract, there is no PC items to be installed.

This is confusing to me, say we agreed to have a specific oven, and it is listed in the contract, shouldn't this item be purchased and installed at this stage ? he wants to do all these at the final stage when only 5% of the total contract is payable.

I am refusing to pay him until I can see some of the prime cost items, such as range hood and oven to be installed.

This is my first time building a house through a house/land package.

I appreciate your advise,
Cheers,

Hi guys,

My builder recently submitted a claim for stage 5, one before completion.

According to contact, at this stage:

"All ceramic tiling installed, prime cost items installed, painting complete"

When I asked the builder about prime cost items, he mentioned since all the items in the house are priced for in the contract - I have a fixed price contract, there is no PC items to be installed.

This is confusing to me, say we agreed to have a specific oven, and it is listed in the contract, shouldn't this item be purchased and installed at this stage ? he wants to do all these at the final stage when only 5% of the total contract is payable.

I am refusing to pay him until I can see some of the prime cost items, such as range hood and oven to be installed.

This is my first time building a house through a house/land package.

I appreciate your advise,
Cheers,

It is common practice to install these items just before handover. Main reason is theft. A fair compromise would be to see the receipts for the purchase of these items and to allow the builder to install at the end.

If you have had a good relationship with your builder try to keep this and not ruin it over a minor event. A builders responsibility doesn't end at handover so try and work things out for when you need them in the months and years to come.

Thanks for your reply, one more question, this stage also mentions all tiles installed, the living room is supposed to have tiles and I couldn't see any tiles, he also mentioned tiles will be installed at the last stage, is this normal ?

Thanks for your reply, one more question, this stage also mentions all tiles installed, the living room is supposed to have tiles and I couldn't see any tiles, he also mentioned tiles will be installed at the last stage, is this normal ?

Depends. What other floor covering do you have? Or is it tiles everywhere other than the bedrooms?

Thanks OC1,

That is correct, It is tiles everywhere except the bedrooms, does this make any difference ?

Each builder does things differently. I would be laying the tiles once the kitchens and the skirting boards are in place.

Back