Problems with PM (as tenant)

But she did rent it out w/o a reference somehow?
Yes, as a student letting a room in student accommodation.

She's completely off student digs as a result, the internet thing was a killer.

So now she wants to get a unit, and have people in to share.

Probably a big ask for her.

There are thousands of young people starting their independent life and finding accommodation. If your daughter is working 40h/week (and has been for a while) i'd say she has a big advantage on her hands. Doesn't she have any girlfriend she could share a 2 bdrm unit with?

Hi Geoff

See page 27 and 28 in the previous link posted

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/zone_files/eforms/17a-final.pdf

Mentions about dispute resolution

"One of the parties (for example the lessor/agent)
makes a claim on the bond using a Refund of
Rental Bond (Form 4) without the signature or
agreement of the other party/ies (refer to page 28
‘What if we don’t agree about the bond refund?’).

and

If a ‘Notice of Claim’ has been issued, you then
have 14 days to:
1. Dispute the claim by submitting a Dispute
Resolution Request (Form 16). The RTA’s
Dispute Resolution Service will then try to help
resolve the dispute.
2. Agree with the other parties’ claim by signing the
Notice of Claim and posting it back to the RTA.
The RTA will then refund the bond as directed
on the Refund of Rental Bond (Form 4).
3. Not respond. It is important to be aware that
the RTA will automatically refund the bond as
directed on the first Refund of Rental Bond
(Form 4) received if there is no contact from
you by the date stated on the Notice of
Claim form.
It’s important to provide the RTA with your new
contact details so you can be kept informed
about what’s happening with your bond money.

Cheers

Thanks HA.

We have a logistical problem.

#1 daughter will be going to Mexico (courtesy of MrsW) next week. #2 daughter has a big birthday party (#15 is the big one over there).

So she may not be around to lodge stuff.

Queensland PMs. Is there a way she could give me the equivalent of power of attorney or the like? In two days?

She can just sign and fax it or sign and scan it if/when necessary. or you can just sign instead of her, nobody will be checking if her signature is genuine or not as long as it looks the same.

She can just sign and fax it or sign and scan it if/when necessary. or you can just sign instead of her, nobody will be checking if her signature is genuine or not as long as it looks the same.
Hmm. I hope you're not advocating any sort of fraud?

Fax from Mexico would probably be feasible.

As may be a letter to the principal of the agency.

For somebody earning $11ph, $50 is a huge amount. As is the extra rent (It was actually 4 weeks).

Geoff

I am a parent too so I understand your desire to help and protect your daughter.

I suspect however that your daughter is more capable and resourceful that you are giving her the space and credit for. There are lessons to be learned here. Put complaints in writing through the proper process and maybe not burn bridges. I think $50 is small price to pay for these lessons. It could have been far more costly had the PM enforced the contract.

Your daughter obviously has great compassion for her fellow human beings, and is working hard towards her own future. With the obvious support of her parents she will do well.

Maybe time to stand back and let her sort out this situation herself armed with any advice you might give her?

The Internet problems were Telstra's, why should the landlord be responsible? My argument was that, if, as a landlord, the tenant does not have, for instance, a hot water service, it's not my fault, and that I need to compensate the tenant as a result.
Not taking any ones side

If the Internet is not working due to Telstra's issue then the land lord has no control over it as the internet is provided by an external company. It is like a power outage due to storms bringing the power lines down, how is the Land lord responsible for uninterupted power?
If the hot water system is not working then it becomes the Landlord's responsibility as it is something internal and has control over it.

Anyone see this differently?

We have serviced apartments.
We have had parents email on behalf of their kids, but the parents aren't our tenants.

One tenant upon moving stated his cable TV wan't working. He didn't ask for a refund, but we told him "we can't fix it, if you don't report it not working".

Just be thankful they are only charging the $50.

One tenant upon moving stated his cable TV wan't working. He didn't ask for a refund, but we told him "we can't fix it, if you don't report it not working".
The internet stopped working 3 months ago. MrsW reported it one week later.

The PM says that the internet is now working fine. But it still wasn't working the day my daughter moved out.

Sorry another view point

Telstra issue? If she has wireless connection issue its not an issue with Telstra. The internet is a connection b/t the phone line & the modem - there is no way that 3 months of net connection could fail without Telstra knowing about it and not sending out a field tech to rectify it (as this is a law requirement). The wireless connection b/t the PC and the modem is an issue for the resident to fix and Telstra does provide free phone support to help with the wireless issue - ie the person with the PC needs to contact Telstra for the phone support with the account holder's permission. Many things within the house can affect a wireless connection - a cordless phone, foxtel, anything the emits wireless signals, anything that can block a wireless signal - brick wall, water and distance. But honestly one call to Telstra should've fixed the issue.

I'm not supporting Telstra, I was made me redundant as a wireless support tech (best thing to have happened to me!)

I can't comment on the "legalities" involved but what caught my eye was this.........:

"The PM's arguments were:
1. The Internet problems were Telstra's......."

And.......:

"The connection was a wireless connection to the whole house, shared by all tenants.

The PM acknowledges that the problem had been in existance for some time- but states that a lot of money was spent by the landlord in trying to resolve the problem, which turned out to be a Telstra fault."

There is only one true fully wireless internet "system" and apart from a small "modem" or in the case of a laptop, a "card" attached to the 'puter and either would have a stubby little antenna attached, this has no other physical connection as the "modem/card" communicates directly through the mobile network. Now, if this was the "system" the landlord provided, depending on how long ago the contract with Telstra was established, it could have been on the now defunct CDMA network which was a relatively reliable service OR it could have been with the new "Next G" network (CDMA users were "forced" to change to "Next G" ) which has been overly problematic since it's inception regardless of what Telstra say publically.

Could the landlord have some form of networking installed for this system allowing multiple users in the premises.........maybe but I was under the impression that it wasn't overly recommended on full wireless.

The alternative to full wireless is your normal ADSL connection (refered to by Perchy) where a suitable modem is connected to a phone socket and a wireless network is established within the premises for multiple computers to "talk to" the modem.

Many, many consumers mistake the ADSL wireless network system for the true wireless system.

What I don't understand is.......why, if there had been a "long term" problem with the internet connection from the premises, the landlord spent "a lot of money" trying to rectify the problem when surely the first thing would be to discuss the issues with Telstra as chances are it's equipment supplied by them that's installed in the premises and in this case the problems would have been easily identified and resolved. If the problem is/was a Telstra issue then the same thing kind of applies......it should or could have been sorted out fairly quickly. Telstra have "service guarantees" which means they have to respond to a fault report within 48 hours, HOWEVER......with the internet, you are dealing with Bigpond (not Telstra) and they may have different conditions.

I can't help but think that regardless of the end cause of the problem, the PM, who as agent for the LL should have reported and followed it up until it was resolved, is telling "porkies"....... as it has a decidely fishy odour as you have told it.

I have had lengthy experience with Bigpond's "full wireless" and ADSL "wireless network" systems and little that the PM has said rings true and SWMBO (like Perchy) has recently become redundant after 7 years as a Telstra faults consultant. I think there's enough reason if you're so inclined, to push the PM a little.

:cool:

The internet stopped working 3 months ago. MrsW reported it one week later.

The PM says that the internet is now working fine. But it still wasn't working the day my daughter moved out.

That's not an acceptable period of time if PM was responsible for fixing it. It should have been reflected in a reduced rent given for student accommodation it is an essential service. I am sure most woudl not have moved in if internet was not part of the package.

Basically both sides have stuffed up in some way. I think you are getting the better end of the deal, and I would just pay up and move on. Really, how much of your time are you going to spend mucking around over $50. :rolleyes:

Basically both sides have stuffed up in some way. I think you are getting the better end of the deal, and I would just pay up and move on. Really, how much of your time are you going to spend mucking around over $50. :rolleyes:
I have come to that conclusion. It's hard for her, at $11ph. But at least she will know to defrost the fridge next time.

Back