Profiting from war

No, I said that we only care because it gives us access to cheap oil. This was said to be incorrect so I then asked why are we going to Iraq in particular, if not for this? No one could provide an answer. No one could also specify why we are only going there when other countries are experiencing similar problems.

No, I said that we only care because it gives us access to cheap oil. This was said to be incorrect so I then asked why are we going to Iraq in particular, if not for this? No one could provide an answer. No one could also specify why we are only going there when other countries are experiencing similar problems.

Where else is are religious zealots terrorists raping, murdering and committing mass genocide to the scale of ISIS?

Meanwhile Iraq has only been exporting circa 56 billion in oil, it'll take us a century to get any cost savings on the trillions spent fighting there.

I think Coles has a special on tinfoil this week if you'd like, Cimbom.

So Cimbom: Do you believe the international community should leave ISIS to create instability in the region, committing mass genocide, tortute, rape and killings?

Or are you a oil company shill?

Last edited:
I would say that it is because of direct attacks against the USA's hostages, and direct attacks against the British, and so on.

In other Countries where these atrocities have occurred (Bosnia, Rwanda etc) I don't think the actions were against people of the above-mentioned Countries - and if they were; not so public and a blatant taunt.

I can't ever recall a public beheading of a USA hostage such as we've witnessed recently; in other recent civil wars?

I'm not saying the inaction of us Western Countries in those other areas is right; but there are only so many places a Country can send troops and Armed Forces dollars to.

I think now, the oil scenario is a lesser motivation; believe it or not.

And finally; the World cannot continue to allow this sort of behaviour and insane ideology/religious belief to fester and grow - as we all know it is.

It is time to take the gloves off.

Just remember when you buy a share that has fallen in value over the years, chances are you are buying off someone who bought it at double/triple of what you are paying, and that could have been his retirement fund or kids uni fund!

its a cut throat world

Living in a country that profits off these manufactured wars is enough for me. :rolleyes: I wouldn't touch these shares with a 10 foot pole but that's just me. Some things are more important than money

Agree. It's taking advantage of something morally wrong and someone else's misfortune. Let your conscience be your guide, and my conscience says 'no'.

To me, buying shares in arms is a dirty deal.

I've refused to buy mining shares and I've turned down buying a distressed ppty from a single mother. I don't mind buying a distressed ppty from a wealthy person, just not a single mum.

You know we'll get howled down, don't you Cimbom?

Where else is are religious zealots terrorists raping, murdering and committing mass genocide to the scale of ISIS?

Meanwhile Iraq has only been exporting circa 56 billion in oil, it'll take us a century to get any cost savings on the trillions spent fighting there.

I think Coles has a special on tinfoil this week if you'd like, Cimbom.

So Cimbom: Do you believe the international community should leave ISIS to create instability in the region, committing mass genocide, tortute, rape and killings?

Or are you a oil company shill?

The question is whether we're comfortable buying shares in warfare; not whether we condone ISIL's actions.

If those are the arguments that people use to rationalise buying warfare stock, so be it. Not for me though.

The question is whether we're comfortable buying shares in warfare; not whether we condone ISIL's actions.

If those are the arguments that people use to rationalise buying warfare stock, so be it. Not for me though.

And I was the first person to answer that question:

Money is money. Lockheed has already doubled in price over the last 3 years, but the long term trend is moving towards uber high tech mechanisation, than volume so they may have a bright future.

Lots of arms suppliers out there too. Take your pick. An alternative is to look at firearms companies which supply both the civilian and military, so you can ride out both markets - most firearm companies are privately owned however so there isn't a huge selection.

That post was clearly in relation to Cimbom's posts:

So why are we spend half a billion dollars during a "budget emergency" to go to war? Why are we not going to any of the other countries around the world where human rights abuses are occuring on a mass scale?

Agree. It's taking advantage of something morally wrong and someone else's misfortune. Let your conscience be your guide, and my conscience says 'no'.

To me, buying shares in arms is a dirty deal.

I've refused to buy mining shares and I've turned down buying a distressed ppty from a single mother. I don't mind buying a distressed ppty from a wealthy person, just not a single mum.

Not going to howl you down ... but they have (for whatever reason) chosen to sell ... it is not your responsibility to chose for them, but maybe (as in the distressed property) you could offer them a better deal than the next person

Not going to howl you down ... but they have (for whatever reason) chosen to sell ... it is not your responsibility to chose for them, but maybe (as in the distressed property) you could offer them a better deal than the next person

I have thought long and hard about this one Lizzie. I am still struggling with it, and I have decided to put it aside. A single mother is selling a ppty for less than $60,000 than what she paid a few years ago. I can't bring myself to make an offer. I usually start my bids low. I don't have the heart for this one.

I have thought long and hard about this one Lizzie. I am still struggling with it, and I have decided to put it aside. A single mother is selling a ppty for less than $60,000 than what she paid a few years ago. I can't bring myself to make an offer. I usually start my bids low. I don't have the heart for this one.

I'll buy significantly low and or distressed properties frequently. Monetary concern isn't always the motivating factor.

Recently I financed a deal for a client who purchased a property for 30% under market value, as the vendor was about to be foreclosed upon, the sale amount covered the mortgage, credit card, car loan and leftover funds of circa 30k. Sounds a lot better than bankruptcy. He provided her with an offer which helps her get into a better position moving forward.

Offer her what she paid a year ago.

Your conscience is happy, she's happy.

We're supposedly in a boom right now, so you won't have paid too much (unless she did a year ago).

You will have done a very good deed, and probably not be really too badly off from the transaction after a couple of years..or maybe less.

Last edited:

And if you are not part of the bidding process then someone else will buy it for even less than you would have offered.

If you bid then that forces up other bids which in turn helps the vendor achieve a better price :)

I'm pretty sure just be existing, you've caused numerous suffering to other living beings.

Why, just yesterday, I ate a chicken that was undoubtedly kept in horrible conditions for most of its life, injected with various hormones, then killed and cut into little pieces, only to end up being sold for half price because nobody bought it after 8pm. Then afterwards I washed my hands, committing genocide against millions of innocent bacteria.

Why not buy it at a price you deemed fair, so it didn't become a distressed sale? Just curious

In many of those other places where human rights abuses are occurring, the UN or their neighbouring countries are taking action. In the case of ISIL, I think a number of nations feel they can't afford to wait, and the fact they've taken to beheading aid workers and the like is appalling. People can rationalise the fact journalists understand the risks and are rewarded for those risks far better than a taxi driver who just wants to help victims lead a better life.

Living in a country that profits off these manufactured wars is enough for me. :rolleyes: I wouldn't touch these shares with a 10 foot pole but that's just me. Some things are more important than money

I agree. Our dollar is our vote. The Military-Industrial complex is probably the largest single private interest group in the world as it is.

Dangerous things happen when you create a situation where a group of that level of power and influence profits from death and destruction.

To be honest, some of the responses I've read on this thread sadden me. As long as people are sufficiently removed from the end result they're OK with supporting this as long as it makes money? I suppose that's why this company's bombs have been dropped on seven countries in the last six years.

I turned down a job at LM for the same reason.

Back