Property Condition Report

I recently bought a property in WA which was a deceased estate. The tenants were relatives of the estate's beneficiary and had no formal lease. After settlement I put them on a fixed term lease, mainly because it seemed like I have to under the new guidelines in WA. At the end of their tenancy in October I will be demolishing the property and rebuilding.
My question is, do I really have to do a property inspection report? There is no bond, I don't care if they do damage to the property unless they completely trash the place making it costly for me to clean up. It will not be re-rented when they leave.
I've downloaded the form from the Dept Consumer Protection website and it reads like I have to do it, but it just seems an imposition. I'm not trying to protect myself. If they leave tomorrow, I will not re-rent the property. As there is no bond I would be hard pressed to recover any money from them if the left a mess
The tenants are good, the place is pretty much spotless given it is an old house.
any thoughts on the consequences if I don't do one?

The report works like a contract between both parties so there is an agreeance on the condition of the property on the comencement of the lease. It must then be left by the tenants in the same state when they leave.

1. There is no bond, so you will be chasing tenants for the money as you cant take from the bond. Which could involve the court system.

2. You will demo the house so the condition doesn't really matter.

I cant see how they could leave a mess that would cost you more money if it will be a pile of rubble.

My opinion is why bother.

Cheers

That's what I'm thinking "why bother", it is inconvenient for both me and the tenants. It's just the word "compulsory" that has me even asking the question.

I'm certainly no expert but I would think a condition report is also your proof of the condition they recieved the property in if they decide to sue you for any reason resulting to injuries they might sustain at the property.
Eg. The tenant removes a couple of floor boards in the laundry so their dog has somewhere to sleep where it can come and go as it pleases (I have actually seen this in a property), while doing the washing one day the tenant slips on the wet floor and falls down the hole they created and breaks their leg. Tenant claims the hole was there at the start of the lease, you cant prove otherwise and end up in court because think they can get some money out of you. Win or loose it would still cost you a packet.
A bit pessimistic I know and the tenants in question may never do that but you never really know until something happens, I would do it just to protect your own interests.

Unfortunately its the law and regardless of you demolishing the house it should be done anyway..

WHAT IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND?

It will protect both yourself and the tenant at the end of the day if anything does change.

Back