Property Investor 'Job' Description

Hi All!

Bit of a strange one... I'm the first to admit I'm not very good at articulating myself sometimes and for the life of me I cannot think of a way to word this...

I'm going to apply for a new role within the company I am working for and one of the key people in the team said having my property investing outlined on my resume would look good as what's involved relates somewhat to the role.

So I'm trying to fluff out "I analyse data, buy house, renovate house and rent it" but am really struggling with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fluff it out?

For what it is worth, the job I am going for is kind of an analytical role.

Oh, and does anyone want to write my resume for me! :D

Not complete, but a few points to start you off:

• Determine and implement investment strategy and revise as necessary
    • Identify relevant information sources to ensure purchasing decisions are underpinned by high quality data
    • Analyse multiple data sets and integrate large amounts of complex information to determine future property market trends
    • Analyse financial performance of potential and current properties and prepare investment and strategic planning recommendations
    • Coordinate the property acquisition process with sellers agents, lenders, consultants and legal representatives
    • Determine optimal finance options by liaising with brokers, evaluating their recommendations and selecting a lender
    • Determine and implement appropriate improvements to add value to property
    • Manage renovations within budget and timeframes

Is that how resumes work, fill it up with fancy words and phrases?
Wouldn't past performance and results be a more meaningful measure of someones ability/value?
Throwing in figures/percentages would help for an analytical role I'd think?

Is "Procure ex housing commission homes in undesirable suburbs, tart up and rent to bogans with a broken down VN commodore in the backyard" being too honest? ;-)

Rather than try describe the job, tell them what the acheivements are.

Built a personal portfolio of x properties with a gross value of $xxx.
Renovated abc property doing *this stuff*, increasing overall value by 30% and increasing rental income by 34%.

I look at job descriptions and think it's a bit of a w**k. It's the acheivements and result's I'd be interest in.

You can put it all under the title of "Property Investment".

Is that how resumes work, fill it up with fancy words and phrases?
Wouldn't past performance and results be a more meaningful measure of someones ability/value?
Throwing in figures/percentages would help for an analytical role I'd think?

I have past performance and results in my resume but what the new role would be I only have a small part of experience in my professional life.

I'm including my 'past performance' with my property investing as analytics is a major part.

Is "Procure ex housing commission homes in undesirable suburbs, tart up and rent to bogans with a broken down VN commodore in the backyard" being too honest? ;-)

lol, too honest I think, but spot on!

Renovated abc property doing *this stuff*, increasing overall value by 30% and increasing rental income by 34%.

I look at job descriptions and think it's a bit of a w**k. It's the acheivements and result's I'd be interest in.

Thanks for the input. I'd like to keep actual figures out of it as I'd rather people not knowing what assets I have, income etc etc. But if they ask in the interview for the nitty gritty I'll give it to them. I'd prefer not to put it on there altogether but I'm boxing above my weight with this job and need as much help as I can get!

I've now submitted my resume/cover letter so now to play the waiting game!

I thought I'd give a bit of an update on this as I always enjoy it when others give updates on their situations.

So it ended up coming down to myself and one other person for the job. Unfortunately it wasn't me, it was given to someone working in the department already with more experience. I was given some good feedback, told they'd keep my details on file and I have been working my proverbial off since then.

I get an email out of the blue last week from a senior manager saying that my details had been given to him by the head of a particular department, that I come highly recommended and a position has been made available. He asked if I'm still interested am I able to catch up with him the next day for a chat. Long story short I'm being thrown in the deep end on the 2nd April.

And here I was thinking that when they said "Well keep your details on file..." was kind of like when you get dumped and the other person says "It's not you, it's me... Can we stay friends..." knowing full well you'll never hear from them again.

yeah then the question will be like, 'why do you need a job again?'

Awesome news and a great ending even if it didn't quite work out the way you planned.

Sometimes going for broke and above your comfort zone is not always about getting the job but also about letting everyone know you want to aim higher and be considered for such positions.

I submitted a job application for an internal role today with a ridiculously long title with a soft entry into management. I know I could do well at the job but it's a stretch from my current position. Its being advertised internally and externally so I have to compete on the open market for it.

If I don't get it my upside is that management considered me (they asked me to apply) and they know I want it too

Congratulations - it must've been a really tight race too.

Cheers. That's what he said at the time - that it was close and a tough decision. I just thought it was another one of those things they say to try and make you feel better.

yeah then the question will be like, 'why do you need a job again?'

Because I do it for the love of it....:rolleyes:

Awesome news and a great ending even if it didn't quite work out the way you planned.

Sometimes going for broke and above your comfort zone is not always about getting the job but also about letting everyone know you want to aim higher and be considered for such positions.

I submitted a job application for an internal role today with a ridiculously long title with a soft entry into management. I know I could do well at the job but it's a stretch from my current position. Its being advertised internally and externally so I have to compete on the open market for it.

If I don't get it my upside is that management considered me (they asked me to apply) and they know I want it too

Thanks! Spot on. I was definitely hitting about my weight with the job but I got my name out there and my 'brand' and in the last 4 months the people that matter started to really pay attention to what I was doing. Also, the company I work for encourages positive attrition and do what they can to assist. I will certainly be hitting the ground running with a couple of massive meetings/presentations in my first week.

Good luck with your job too - like you said it's just a matter of the right people knowing that you're interested and even better that you've been asked to apply.

Back