Property Investor Portfolios

Investor Psychology

The psychology of investing and finance. Why people invest. What motivates people. Setting goals. Overcoming fear, negativity and apathy.

Just looking at an issue of API which led me to look at some of the other names in the property game and their reported portfolios by number and worth, scaled below

The stories are all interesting also

Nathan Birch
72 Properties worth $5 Million
Steve McKnight
200 Properties worth $5 Million+
Michael Sherlock
7 Properties worth $7 Million+
Morgan Crawford
? Properties worth $8 Million
Margaret Lomas
38 Properties worth $8 Million+
Paul Brooks
? Properties worth $10 Million
Chris Gray
13 Properties worth $10 Million+
Todd Hunter
36 Properties worth $12Million+
Ian Richard Hosking
32 Properties worth $14 Million
Sam Saggers
? Properties worth $20 Million+
Reno Kings
? Properties worth $40 Million
Kevin Young
180 properties worth $91 Million+

Investor Psychology

The psychology of investing and finance. Why people invest. What motivates people. Setting goals. Overcoming fear, negativity and apathy.

Just looking at an issue of API which led me to look at some of the other names in the property game and their reported portfolios by number and worth, scaled below

The stories are all interesting also

Whats interesting is that all the above went on to start their own business, so I would say their business could now generate much more income than their income from properties???

Also, I think you prob know that Steve Mc sold all these properties, perhaps some of these are now out of date, especially if most trade.

Value or equity?

Cashflow + or -?

Do they trump ol' Mrs Brown owning an office building worth $50M clear bringing in $4M clear pa??? :confused:

It would be nice to be privy to what they own.

Steve Mc - forgot about his properties in US, I think most in Florida.

Also he just raised something like $20M to set up a management fund purchasing commerical property in US, he gets fat management cheques and additional fees sourcing etc, and gets to control the lot. That's what I mean about business outstripping income from properties.

Also he just raised something like $20M to set up a management fund purchasing commercial property in US, he gets fat management cheques and additional fees sourcing etc, and gets to control the lot. That's what I mean about business outstripping income from properties.

Steve Navra was looking at doing similar here from memory, his company would then rent one of the commercial buildings also. I don't know how it all went

I have never met or heard from a property investor that did not inflate the value of what their properties are worth. Most of the spruikers b/s/ to flog theirs strategies and seminars. The real wealthy and good investors tell nobody how many they have or what they are worth. Do your own thing and ignore the noise. Mc Night with the nighmare of managing 200 properties that probably have about 2 million if he sold them, makes his money from promoting himself. Same with Lomas.

I have never met or heard from a property investor that did not inflate the value of what their properties are worth. Most of the spruikers b/s/ to flog theirs strategies and seminars. The real wealthy and good investors tell nobody how many they have or what they are worth. Do your own thing and ignore the noise. Mc Night with the nighmare of managing 200 properties that probably have about 2 million if he sold them, makes his money from promoting himself. Same with Lomas.

That annoys me too.

People on here are more to aspire to than some of these self promoted "experts".

It's interesting that some of the names I heard actually have such small portfolios. You wouldn't even be able to buy a house in places like Mosman or the likes.

There are much more successful real estate investors out there. Be good if the magazines can actually introduce these people, but you wouldn't even know what their name was to find them.

I don't bother reading the success stories in the property mags where Mr and Mrs Successful have a $2M portfolio ..... read the table at the bottom of the article and they are 85% leveraged and have the same net worth that us Mr and Mrs Below Average Nobodies have.

It's interesting that some of the names I heard actually have such small portfolios. You wouldn't even be able to buy a house in places like Mosman or the likes.
I once got interviewed by one of those mags. I asked them why they were interested in me when there were a lot more really successful investors out there. They told me that readers identify with people who r had a moderate success rather than hugely successful, as they feel that they could achieve that sort of level themselves.

There are much more successful real estate investors out there. Be good if the magazines can actually introduce these people, but you wouldn't even know what their name was to find them.

Agreed I am stunned at how small their portfolios are, just proves there are those who teach and those who do. I know a lot of people who have aver $i0m it is not unusual and wouldn't go bragging about it to any-one. They would not want to appear in a magazine . They don't need to feed their ego. You would never pick them. My wife who was flogging MLM stuff said she wouldn't ask some-one to buy some stuff because she thought they couldn't afford it, who drives an old beat up commodore. She didn't realize they own + $30 million in property

The guy in the tracksuit always beats the guy in the suit at any auction.

Wealthiest people I know wear paint covered tracksuits.

I started wearing it too. Dad doesn't appreciate the statement, refuses to go anywhere with me unless I change.

attended a morning auction many moons ago for a prestigious property on the South Perth foreshore.

Winning bidder was wearing the tracksuit and beanie he had slept in and had not showered. Hilarious!

How do you know that the real wealthy do this if they haven't dont anyone and nobody knows what they have or are worth?

Does he self manage the 200 properties or have a team that assist him in doing so.

Are they doing wrong in making money from something that they are interested in, if it's done in the right way, not spruiker and it's actually a win win I don't have an issue with it.

I always laugh at people who have 34 properties and are worth $5m.

That means that the average worth of their properties is about $150k. What do you get for $150k on a capital city?

Lets say that they get $300k in income. 34 properties at a cost of say $4500 per property for expenses other interest payments is $153k.

If they then has say $3m in borrowings. That would cost them about 165k interest only. This means they are still negatively geared.

I see alot of lemmings here follow people....a well balanced CF+ portfolio worth $5m is likely to have have 15-18 properties and have a rent roll of $250-300k. Lets say the gearing is $2m. That should return about $50-70k in positive CF. Well this was my experience when I hit this mark.....

I agree with the comments...that most spruikers are over valuing their portfolio...

I always laugh at people who have 34 properties and are worth $5m.

That means that the average worth of their properties is about $150k. What do you get for $150k on a capital city?

Lets say that they get $300k in income. 34 properties at a cost of say $4500 per property for expenses other interest payments is $153k.

If they then has say $3m in borrowings. That would cost them about 165k interest only. This means they are still negatively geared.

I see alot of lemmings here follow people....a well balanced CF+ portfolio worth $5m is likely to have have 15-18 properties and have a rent roll of $250-300k. Lets say the gearing is $2m. That should return about $50-70k in positive CF. Well this was my experience when I hit this mark.....

I agree with the comments...that most spruikers are over valuing their portfolio...

Your figures are wrong (probably because the OP's figures are misleading). The figures are NET worth (well in Nathan's case anyway) not portfolio worth.

Back