Property Managers advertising on Gumtree a concern

When some Property Managers advertise on Gumtree the same house thats on realestate there can only be one reason

Too many houses and not enough tenants. They have to resort to Gumtree to find tenants

Then the PM find people who prob do not have good rental history

Gumtree is free and more widely used by the chattering masses than many of the property sites. I'm not surprised that PMs advertise there, it makes sense.

As many people on this forum well know, there's nothing like free advertising. :D

As an employer I had success advertising jobs on Gumtree.

If it gets results while lowering costs it's worth while for a business to do.

The same ad for the rental property is on Realestate already so the agent via the landlord has already paid for the ad. So going to Gumtree hasnt saved the agent / landlord any money.

They go to it because they cant find tenants. Too many houses available

Maybe they just want to fill it ASAP, give us the suburb and well give u the answer, we have had 2 tenants through gumtree w excellent results and longevity

The same ad for the rental property is on Realestate already so the agent via the landlord has already paid for the ad. So going to Gumtree hasnt saved the agent / landlord any money.

They go to it because they cant find tenants. Too many houses available

I don't agree with this. We use Gumtree plus re.com. Our last tenant came from Gumtree and I passed her onto the agency for checking. She went through Gumtree because she didn't want to deal with agents. She was happy to be checked by the agency and very happy that we were taking over and self-managing after that.

If that was the case, why would an agent bother to advertise on both domain and re.com? Then use countless other lesser known websites as well eg: myhome, realestateview etc?

If more advertising is good, then isn't lots better?

When an agent tries to woo you to list your property with them, don't they brag about the number of websites that they use?

When some Property Managers advertise on Gumtree the same house thats on realestate there can only be one reason

Too many houses and not enough tenants. They have to resort to Gumtree to find tenants

Then the PM find people who prob do not have good rental history

They all go through the same screening if they come from gumtree or from the bigger sites. So I don't have a problem with it.

The upside is 2 ways for a google search to come up with your property. 2 sites for people to see the ad and at no extra cost.

I've tried newspapers and agency's to find employees but guess what,Gumtree has been the best ever.

If I am working away for a week and need a new worker to minimize time away from family.I advertise for a worker in that town and I am not kidding,I place an add and within minutes I start having phone calls.
This have happened a few times now.
Absolutely amazing and quality workers as well.

Gumtree is fine. Very popular in UK and many I know use it.

I've used gumtree to sell and get rid of lots of unwanted furniture - it's been a very effective and free tool! Most of the people responding have just moved to melbourne or are renting.

Looks like a winner to me.

I also cannot complain about gumtree, our last vacancy was filled via gumtree advert. best tenants yet!

I find Gumtree great to sell things if I want to be spammed with texts offering about 1/3rd of my already reasonable asking price.

I find Gumtree great to sell things if I want to be spammed with texts offering about 1/3rd of my already reasonable asking price.

Thats why all my ads end with "No Offers" and I ignore all such texts/emails. I have sold heaps of different things and can't say I was ever spammed to oblivion with offers.

An agency charges an owner $40 plus to have a rental listed on Realestate.com.

Then an owner goes to all the trouble of putting it on Gumtree for free also

Doesnt ad up. Why would an owner do the agents work ?

Why doesnt the agency put it on Gumtree themselves ? They deny putting ads on Gumtree they say its the owner.

If it was just on Gumtree only its logical as the owner gets the ad for free but when the ad is already on Realestate.com its not logical

My posting is about having the ad on Realestate that is paid for by the owner and one on Gumtree put in by an owner

Last edited:
I'll give this a go...

An agency charges an owner $40 plus to have a rental listed on Realestate.com.

Then an owner goes to all the trouble of putting it on Gumtree for free also

Doesnt ad up. Why would an owner do the agents work ?

Agent may be looking after ten empty houses this week. Owner only cares about one. Why wouldn't an owner try to get every pair of eyes possible looking at the house.

Why doesnt the agency put it on Gumtree themselves ? They deny putting ads on Gumtree they say its the owner.

Why would they deny it? I don't know if agents put ads on gum tree.

If it was just on Gumtree only its logical as the owner gets the ad for free but when the ad is already on Realestate.com its not logical

My posting is about having the ad on Realestate that is paid for by the owner and one on Gumtree put in by an owner

But the ad on gum tree isn't paid for by the owner. It is free - and gets your ad out there for more people to see. Does this make more sense?

Seems that many of us have found good tenants on gum tree. It works.

Back