Property market : The heat is on

Hi - below is an excerpt from a newsletter i received today from an agent in mosman, sydney. Based on his recorded sales, the market in his patch of sydney (lower north shore) seems very hot - for both houses AND units. Are other investors around oz seeing the same thing in their respective sub markets... OR is this very much an isolated trend peculiar to the lower north shore of sydney.... OR is this agent trying to generate more sales listings to replace the $30 mill plus of property he has negotiated this week?

cheers

Waverly

It's off with a bang literally!! This week will be remembered for many occurrences, and given that I am not a war correspondent, I watched with amazement as the Mosman market soared to a near record week of property transactions. In the space of just one week we negotiated a record $30,215,000 worth of property. So far we have exchanged $18,565,000 which in itself, is quite amazing, and the property pundits stood true to their word, "that they would hold off until they see what happens in Iraq".

Still somewhat confused how a war can add further combustion to a hot market, guess we will have to attribute it to the burning passion of Mosman property seekers? The big news item of the week was the Burran Avenue, Balmoral property which grabbed second spot on the all time highest sales ever recorded in Mosman, eclipsing the previous record of $9.4 million. This really was a fantastic negotiation and congratulations to Steve Patrick and Hunta Biddulph, This sale represented land value only, so now we hold the highest and second highest sales ever recorded in Mosman. It is not just the top-end that sets records, the apartment market continues perform brilliantly with Marize selling three apartments from $385,000 to $780,000. This market continues to show plenty of pizzazz.

The biggest problem with the apartment market as we see it is that we don't have anywhere near the levels of property to meet the demand. So much for the experts who shouted that the property bubble was about to burst.

They are now reporting on the pros and cons of stamp collecting. If they were prepared to call it, maybe next time they will do a little more research because it was abundantly clear that more than one got it so badly wrong!!

There are quite a few investors who are not very happy as they sold up last year, only to see their investment properties return capital appreciation, when they understood that the market in 2003 would show capital depreciation. If you look back at our past editions you will see that we have been right on the money !!

Our market is certainly not isolated from the rest of the property market. Whilst we have the highest median price for homes it is interesting that all the median prices are well and truly in the black. In February the median auction price rose to $727,000 which was up from $718,000 in September 2002, the apartment market jumped in the same period from $451,000 to $490,000.

Whilst clearance rates are down on last year, it is very difficult to apply a figure in a climbing market, and one can hardly blame a vendor for trying to exceed their price expectations. Overall, property is in all probability their best investment unless they were one of the lucky ones who recently purchased AMP at $5.88 a share. With so many properties selling early in the auction campaigns, the amount of available properties has declined rapidly over the space of the last few weeks, so it will be a quiet time up to Easter. Watch the market have a run in May, as it should be on for all and this could be the greatest test for 2003, if the market can sustain the continual pressures to out-perform. If the current weeks are any indication, we believe that this selling period could surpass the recorded highs of April/May 2002.

Hi Waverly,

Well, I thought that the market had gone off the boil in my local 'burb, Manly, Qld.

But driving around I've been seeing 'For Sale' signs going up at just about the same density as last year around this time, and 'Sold' sign does get slapped on pretty rapidly thereafter (except for those props that I consider are overpriced and better buyer options abound).

As one RE Agent said to me earlier, the market is still very robust for properties with plenty of potential for value growth. It's just a bit slower for the less appealing props, when in the past even these were snapped up quickly.

However, another I did notice, that often the props that are sold, do get a For Rent sign up immediately thereafter. Looks like the investors are still looking for a safe haven for their money given that the share market has not really hit bottom yet and is still on a rollercoaster.

I"ve also been keeping an eye on rent values in this area. Rents have gone up by $10 per week in the last 6 months. Maybe property investors trying to get a better deal on expensive properties bought.

We'll see how things pan out. Very interesting times indeed.

Desto.

Hi,

I've just begun my seearch for an IP (just this weekend). I'm starting with the inner west (as this is the area I know most about). To me it looks like more properties are for sale, rather than for auction. Plus, a lot of units, semis and town houses are taking much longer to sell than they did a year ago. But this w'end, I ran into one agent who said he thinks things are "hotting up and going crazy again". I'll have to do a little more of my own research to see.

John

Back