Property near a cemetary!

I know I wouldn't like to live near one, but am I asking for trouble even looking at one,

its actually about 100-200m away from it, not too sure if its visible....

I personally would not like to live near one either but my husband Angelo would not be bothered by it at all.

The fact that some people in the population may not like it will limit the demand and possibly capital growth. This can be overcome if it is a high demand property, an exceptional property with subdivision potential or historic character or some other feature that puts it in the high demand catagory.

A normal house near a cemetary may not appreciate as much as a normal house a few streets back!

The tenant demand may also be restricted if you are renting it.

On the flip side, because the demand is limited it may be cheaper to buy compared to other properties of it's type in that area!

There are no hard rules, it's just your personal preferance!

Hi akumaslair,

I'm sure all the theory says there is nothing wrong with purchasing near the dead centre of town. ;):D

Sorry to beat you to it Geoff.

bye

Afaik, the residents of cemetarys aren't renowned for being noisy party-animals.

There's a cemetary in Sydney (Waverley Cemetary?) that overlooks the sea - I bet the people who live next to that in their multi-million dollar houses don't let it worry them.

M

to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't mind living in it if it was close, just as long it wasn't on the same street or if I could see it out of any of the windows, ,

however I was just wondering about the CG side of things,

pricewise it seems a little cheap but not dirt cheap.. and I am trying to work out if its a bargain or the market price...

Well, I can only speak for myself. I am from an asian background, and in general we are quite skeptical living near cemetries. A lot of religious stuff and also to do with spirits etc etc.

So you might isolate a fair few ppl if you buy near a cemetery

There is a cemetery in Gungahlin. People living within a 2km radius are not allowed to be buried there.

Because they're still alive.

And at Queanbeyan there's a Lawn Cemetery. That's where I bury my old grass. Before it gets turfed.

I know I wouldn't like to live near one, but am I asking for trouble even looking at one,

its actually about 100-200m away from it, not too sure if its visible....
Could bring a deathly blow to wealth creation, if the negative aspects of such a purchase were not buried.:)

I got a friend who lives about 200m away from a cemetry. When I go to his place it doesnt feel like I'm near a cemetry. Maybe it's all in the mind.

I grew up very close to a cemetary. I now live 2 blocks from the same one. As kids we used to hang out there. Now I sometimes go there for a walk or a bike ride. I always felt the dead prefer to be connected to the world of the living. Perhaps this is why I have such a strong sense of my own mortality that helps me to value each day as a gift.

And they always were very quiet neighbours.:)

Louise.

And they always were very quiet neighbours.:)

And you got less complaint if you're doing redevelopment. :)

But seriously I agree that it comes back to demand and supply. When you're dealing with that "special" market, you'll certainly get "special" price than the normal average market, but then again when you need to sell, you need that "special" market again.

I didn't have time before for a more serious response- though perhaps not so much property related.

Back in the old days, at university, I had a friend whose father was the curator of a very large cemetery in the inner Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. The curator (or whatever his title was) lived in a house right next to the cemetery.

She told me that it really sorted out the men from the boys. There were a lot of guys who got spooked out when they brought her home, hoping for a goodnight kiss.

Back